We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Hi

Looking to book a flight which consists of a flight from Belgium to Chicago, in Chicago i have 2hr 5Mins to recheck luggage and go through customs before boarding a domestic flight. Is 2 hr 5 Mins long enough to do this? It is all booked through the same agent and nothing is book separately.

There is an option to have an extra 2 hour wait before the next domestic flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
36 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Most regulars recommend a 3 hour window to connect from an international arrival to a domestic flight when the flights are on a single ticket.

On arrival in Chicago you'll firstly clear Immigration, then collect checked bags, then clear US Customs, then return bags to the airline at the bag drop point just after exiting Customs (it's not a full re-check of bags) and finally get to your departure gate which will require you to clear Security.

If it was me I'd opt for the longer layover to provide a buffer in case the first flight is delayed and/or there are long lines at Immigration etc - you might make it in 2 hours but there is a greater risk of a missed connection.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20,011 posts
128 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

I'd also take the later one so you don't have to rush. If everything goes on time and the lines at immigration and security are not long then two hours are fine. But if there's any kind of delay, then with 4 hours you have some contingency.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
36 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

In ideal circumstances 2 hours probably enough, but I'd be inclined to opt for the longer layover because circumstances are often not ideal.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
67,478 posts
49 reviews
109 helpful votes
4. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Making it unanimous for the 4 hour connection. It's likely more time than you need. But you won't be stressed out through the whole process hoping you make your next flight. After 8-9 hours on a plane it's nice to have time to take a breath before getting on another flight.

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
5. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Hi thank you, on the return i have a stop in Washington from a domestic flight for 52 minutes, should that be fine when i do not have to recheck bags and is only a domestic flight?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
67,478 posts
49 reviews
109 helpful votes
6. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

I don't like a 52-minute connection anywhere.

Is that your only option?

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
7. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

Yes it is either 52 minute in Washington Dulles or 45 Minute in Newark both flights to Dublin, i guess either way i have to book one of them.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
36 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

I would want longer than 52 minutes on the return - the international flight will have started boarding as you land and you'll need to hurry from one flight to the other with little room for a delay to your first flight.

I prefer a couple of hours to relax before a long haul flight but that might just be me.

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
9. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

I haven't really had a short time to board another flight after i land, usually have a few hours to get to grips with everything. I guess 52 minutes is better than 45 though. Thanks for the help

Illinois
Level Contributor
20,584 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: International Flight & Rechecking Luggage

You don't say what airlines, but we had to go through security again connecting domestic to international in Newark, so I wouldn't take that one. Not sure of the process in Dulles.