We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Hi all,

I am on a flight next weekend from LHR at 8.05 to MIA. Has anyone else been on this earlier flight (usual one is 9.45) which they add at weekends??

Also - I was told I couldnt use online check in. Has anyone else had this problem with AA - this is a nightmare to me as it means I could lose my seat when i get to airport!!! I have found in the past that seats are only 'requests' until you are actually 'checked in'...........does this mean I will have to get to airport at a rediculous hour to make sure I get my seat???

Nick

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

> AA - apparently they won't let me check in online (just called) as it's an international flight coming into the US, I didn't ask but I am guessing it's yet another security issue (not sure why though if other's provide the service).

Continental definitely lets you check in on line for flights from the UK, but not Ireland for some reason.

But you must supply them with all the security details, passport number etc. as part of the booking.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

> People who turn up earlier than myself to airport may well take this seat off me though no???

You will probably get your seat unless there is some pressing reason why someone would need that seat instead of you. For example, if the two seats next to you were free and and a group of three wanted two seats together.

And if you sweet talk the check in agent you might even get a better seat!

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

World,

Sweet talk ay, lol. I never used to ask for 'complimentary upgrades' but I did last month on route to Vegas from LGW - no surprise that it didnt work! Is there a good way of asking for upgrades by any chance??

Thanks for info!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Being Elite helps!!

Honestly, look presentable. Wear a collar and jacket if not a tie. If you want to be in the business cabin you have to look like you belong, no matter that most of the people whose companies paid for them to be there are probably in track pants and running shoes!

"Any chance of business class?" with a big smile has worked for me once or twice. Never use the dreaded word "upgrade" if you are looking for a comp!

It helps to have a sob story! I once got upgraded on Delta from Atlanta to San Diego after a screwup with my ticket caused by Servisair in Gatwick. I had booked the flight the day before and was flying to check on my mother-in-law who was very ill anyway and had wound up in hospital. When I told them this they sorted out my ticket and upgraded me! (I guess they couldn't believe that anyone would go all the way from England to San Diego to check on their mother-in-law, but I really was the only one in the family who could go at the drop of the hat.) My wife who was attending her mother on another occasion wanted to fly up to Toronto for a couple of days for our son's 18th birthday. Flights were being cancelled left right and centre (it was during that big power cut a few years ago). When a flight finally did go obviously there were hundreds who wanted to be on it. She got the last BC seat (on air Canada) because she convinced the agent that there was no point in her flying another day as she would miss her son's 18th birthday if she did. He took pity on her and she got an upgrade.

But it really is the luck of the draw, and of course the only way to be sure of BC is to pay for it (or get your company to!)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

World,

Thanks for advice, I will use that phrase and also mention my AAdvantage account of course!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Nick, if you booked seat 21 ish, that will be your seat on that American flight, it belongs to you and they won't give it away.

On American the only real chance you have of an upgrade to Bus Class is if Coach is sold out. If that happens, they first move their elite status members to Bus Class....you'd come after those people.

Also, people like me would come before you. At the time of booking my seat in economy, I request an upgrade to Bus Class and am put on a wait list. if I can't get one when I book. If, on the day of flight or the day before they find there are open Bus Class seats available.......then they go to people like me who are wait listed for Bus Class.

Btw, I'm mid elite with AA....there's platinum plus, then platinum, then gold, gold being the lowest rung on the ladder.

However, never hurts to ask nicely and you never know what might happen. If you don't get it, rest assured that you will get that other seat you chose.

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Gabby,

Thanks for reply - I will stop freaking out :)

As for upgrade.............trust me when I say I expect nothing!!! I will ask nicely anyway but I know I don't have much chance - expecially as I don't travel with a tie, etc (enough of that mon-fri!).

Only once have I ever been upgraded come to think of it - I booked United flights from LHR to NY - then to Vegas and then to Hawaii................the leg from LHR (think it was Heathrow) to NY was in business class - it was heaven!!!!!

lincoln england
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Hi Nick, what made you fly with AA instead of Virgin to Miami,we flew from Mia onVS6 on monday just curious!

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

Its free! I have airmiles which I am redeeming :)

I have been on Virgin twice in past 6 weeks and I agree they are the best airline (for me)...........

Nick

20. Re: AA Lhr - Mia Questions...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 20, 2009