We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

Was unsure whether to post this here or in the Barcelona forum.. however I have booked some very cheap flights from Barcelona to Punta Cana for Christmas with Iberia. My flight leaves Barcelona at 16.05 on Saturday December 23rd.

I will have to fly in from London on the Saturday morning, probably on Iberia/BA, but I'm unsure how much time to leave between my flights. Will 6 hours be enough? I'm going to be travelling with only hand luggage but assume that I will still have to go back to landside and through security again?

Thanks for any insights!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
279 reviews
1. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

In view of what has happened at Orly this morning, I would definitely travel to Barcelona the day before your long haul flight.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

To be on the safe side you should probably fly the day before and overnight. You are flying in winter at a busy time from an airport that suffers delays due to weather i.e. Fog.

It's a risky strategy and hopefully you understand the risks. Miss the flight from Barcelona and your ticket will be cancelled including return. You'll need to buy a new ticket at an expensive price or pay a change fee/difference in fare which will also be expensive.

Good luck, it all depends on your attitude to risk.

UK
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

If you decide to stay over in Barcelona the night before which is a very good idea, you can get a cheap airport hotel or one in the city with easy access by train. If you stay near the airport it is worth finding one that has an airport shuttle as the taxis have a high minimum fare.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,937 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

As it seems you're going down the separate tickets route to get cheaper flights, and it will be just before Christmas when weather or ATC or local strikes could disrupt absolutely anything, I'd be flying into Barca the night before, and booking a hotel. That, of course, will possibly eat up your saving on the flight. But it's that or risk missing your flight to Puna Cana.

You decide what risks you want to take to save a few bucks!

SWT

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,984 posts
476 reviews
5. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

I would also be looking at flying to Barcelona on the Friday. I would want to have as low a risk of missing that long haul flight as possible.

6. Re: Self-transfer at Barcelona airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 20, 2018