We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
553 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Wondering if anyone has salient advice except to not do it. A forum search here turned up nothing. Am seeking "how to" advice.

I understand and subscribe to the dogma of booking direct with the airline when at all possible. And I realize that using bitcoin will involve an intermediary, thereby making it de facto less safe.

I would rather not get into a heated discussion of the merits of bitcoin per se, since I already have a few that I would like to use while they are worth more than the amount I initially paid.

Internet searching turned up www.abitsky.com, an online travel agent which purports to sell air tickets for bitcoin. I try to avoid OTA's on general principle, even the big ones. Furthermore, I have determined that this company is based in Estonia and Lithuania, which is far from ideal in terms of having any recourse if things didn't go well. And, to make matters worse, I'm unable to find much in the way of actual user reviews.

So, being aware of the perils of going any further along the bitcoin road, I'm still wondering if anyone has relevant experience. If so, thanks in advance. If not, I will just consider this kind of "thinking out loud."

30 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,723 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

The general advice is to avoid OTAs more so with debit cards and I would now add Bitcoins to that list

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,671 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

I wouldn't buy from anyone I have never heard of, and certainly not from anyone who accepts bitcoin instead of a credit card as payment.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Wouldn't it be easier to sell the bitcoins and book directly with the airlines?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

#3 -- Maybe not easier, but definitely safer.

Thanks for the input. I realized before even asking that it was probably a bad idea; but now I'm sure of it.

Edited: 5:26 am, March 13, 2017
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

LOT and Air Baltic started accepting payment by bitcoin in 2015, but a quick check on their websites didn't give bitcoin as a payment option now, so they might have discontinued the practice.

6. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 22, 2017

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,764 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Hi,

It's going to be hard to use directly with an airline as most - not all, but most - use the services of Airline Reporting Corporation, or ARC, which is the de-facto industry wide payment processing and clearinghouse for airline ticket purchase payments.

... and at present, ARC does not deal in, accept, debit or credit members in bitcoin as a currency or FOP (Form Of Payment)

So, while a carrier may choose to accept them, that carrier will then need to somehow convert - on their own and at their own cost/risk - accepted bitcoins into a FOP that ARC supports.

I think you'll need to convert them into a traditional currency - then buy... or find a carrier that may accept them directly.. I think the former will be easier/faster, than the later.

Travel Safe,

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

I wouldn't have thought this possible.

Interesting

Oxford
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Expedia accepts Bitcoin

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
49,047 posts
1,621 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin

Have you done a Search here for "bitcoin?"

My feeble memory is telling me that there was a similar thread, within the last 4 mos., but cannot recall any outcome for the OP.

Good luck,

Hunt

Reply to: Buying a plane ticket with bitcoin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;