We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jetBlue - what a nightmare

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
jetBlue - what a nightmare

jetBlue is a low cost carrier in the United States. Many Americans love flying jetBlue because they 'usually' have lower prices, and offer free multi-channel inflight television.

Don't know if any of you have been following the snowstorm that we had in New York earlier this week but, jetBlue had some problems at Kennedy airport. FYI, they were the only airline cited in this nightmare.

Read here nypost.com/seven/02152007/news/regionalnews/…

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

> FYI, they were the only airline cited in this nightmare.

Not quite true:

"Other airlines had delays and cancellations because of the weather yesterday, but none had passengers stuck on ice for so long."

Recently AA had a similar problem.

What is amazing in these situations is that they don't park the planes on remote stands and bus people to the terminal.

This is however an aberration for Jetblue. They are generally the best LCC in the states, with great service, punctuality and a generous frequent flier programme.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

It is a shame to see that Jet Blue is following the foot steps of the big guys like American. There service seems to get worse as they grow larger. For example, Long Beach Airport service can be horrible at peak travel hours in their small terminal serving ten 120 seat aircraft. They are still usually excellent.

Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

"For example, Long Beach Airport service can be horrible at peak travel hours in their small terminal serving ten 120 seat aircraft."

They actually never have 10 flights leaving at the same time from Long Beach. A bit misleading but understood. It is a small terminal but I honestly will only fly into Long Beach if given the chance. Because of the small size, it does feel a bit more crowded but compare it to LAX or the bottle necking in Ontario and I'll take Long Beach anyday.

Also, it's easy to blame the airline for a problem like this at JFK but, as a former flight attendant based at JFK, once the plane leaves the gate, you (the crew and/or airline), has little control. It's not like you are pulling into Waldbaums and can just take an available parking spot that opens up. You do what you are told, when you are told. The majority of the blame has to be place on the Airport Authority for allowing this to happen. Don't get me wrong. Hateful, hateful, hateful! But, it really can't all be directed towards jetBlue.

They are growing fast, it's true, but there is no indication that it's too fast. A single incident like this one, granted a horrible incident, is not a true reflection of this particular airline. Plus, you forget to mention the action that jetBlue took for the affected passengers. They refunded the flights in full and gave them free vouchers. That's more than appropriate for this one time problem. What did American do for their passengers?..................a letter of apology.

BTW, I'm not connected to jetBlue in anyway. Just Love them, Love them, Love them!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

Still JB problems. Cancelled probably 3/4 of flights today. the JB Terminal at JFK (NYC) is a mess. People STILL waiting to get out..................

I did fly JB to/from PHX over Xmas. No major issues. But I am a bit leery to use them again now, unless the weather is good.

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

"Also, it's easy to blame the airline for a problem like this at JFK but, as a former flight attendant based at JFK, once the plane leaves the gate, you (the crew and/or airline), has little control. It's not like you are pulling into Waldbaums and can just take an available parking spot that opens up. You do what you are told, when you are told. The majority of the blame has to be place on the Airport Authority for allowing this to happen. Don't get me wrong. "

But you are wrong. When the decision is made for the plane to leave the gate by *the airline's* ramp control, it taxis to its assigned runway based on the control tower's direction, which as a former flight attendant you should know is staffed by the FAA. To blame the airport authority is silly -- remember, quite a few of the JetBlue flights that experienced problems at JFK were *arrivals* from dozens of destinations. Are we to believe that every single airport authority involved was wrong?

JetBlue CEO Neeleman himself acknowleged their screw-up in a public apology on Friday. I doubt he was covering up for all the DOZENS of APA's that screwed up.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,540 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

There is another issue here. For outbound flights, as frustrating as it can be to be stuck on the plane, it's actually in the best interests of the passengers. If there is a quick break in the weather, the pilot needs to be taking advantage of it, and if the plane has to be loaded, pushed back, and taxi, the opportunity may be lost and the passengers delayed even longer. I have never spent 10 hours, but I have spent 3 or 4. They served drinks, we could use our cellphones etc.

For incoming flights however, as I said before, even if there were no gates, the planes could be parked at a remote stand and the passengers bused. JB needs explain why they can't do that (or didn't if they could have).

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

WHy are they STILL cancelling flights. Peeps are told to CHECK THE WEBSITE, but there's no info (according to the person on the news this am) and when they get to the airport they find their flights are cancelled.

Or "But we called everyone on Thursday" and they never called ANYONE.

Its not just JB, American changed almost ALL my flights to/from the Dominican Republic iN April and only because I DO check my flights on a weekly basis did I find out. They NEVER notified ME or my Travel Agent (and they claim ot the TA that "We always notify".)

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

"For incoming flights however, as I said before, even if there were no gates, the planes could be parked at a remote stand and the passengers bused. JB needs explain why they can't do that (or didn't if they could have)."

They didn't, and could have.

According To Neeleman's press conference, when they finally decided to ask the Port Authority for buses, "the buses were frozen", which is complete rubbish. At the time, the airport was running its employee, long-term parking, cargo, and service road buses at full service levels without a problem. The first request for buses to the Port Authority came at aproximately 3PM, which was *several hours* after the first of many aircraft were stranded rampside. According to JFK's airport standards manual, every airline must notify the airport operator if passengers are stuck on board an aircraft for more than *30 minutes*!

Here's an article on the press conference:

nydailynews.com/news/…497997p-419795c.html

And I agree with voyager here, sometimes it's beneficial to stay loaded and wait for a break in the weather, or a minor mechanical issue to be worked out. I once had to sit on an aircraft on the ramp in Lisbon for five hours waiting for a part to arrive on an inbound Paris flight so I could continue to New York! But announcements were made and refreshments served so everyone was alright with it.

The decision to wait out the weather is a roll of the dice every airline makes. In this particular instance, JetBlue gambled big and lost big. Simple as that.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

Just (Sun 2/18 - 5PM Hawaii time - maybe 10PM eastern(?) ) and the national news (ABC) says JB cancelled another 29% of its flights for today and tomorrow. I guess you DO get what you pay for.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jetBlue - what a nightmare

Oh I heard about that on ABC last night. It seems horrible!