We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying liquid at duty free? Leave room in your luggage!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
163 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Buying liquid at duty free? Leave room in your luggage!

Just returned from Mexico via Cancun and entered the US in Dallas. When you buy ANY liquid at duty free, they deliver it to you when you are boarding the plane as a carry on.

When we arrived in Dallas, we had to reclaim our luggage, and any duty free liquids over 3.0 oz had to be packed in our checked luggage or they would be confiscated.

I didn't buy any liquor, but if I had I would have been screwed because there was no extra room in my checked luggage for anything.

I wonder, what happens to all of that liquor, perfume, food, etc...??

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying liquid at duty free? Leave room in your luggage!

WHat happens to all that liquor . . . ?

By now, people are expected to know the rules.......But I admit they can be confusing. It would be nice if, when you buy duty free, the peeps in the shop would remind travelers abuot the new regs.

Fortunately, from MEXICO I am NON-STOP to JFK in NYC so no worries. However, coming back from Dominican Republic I almost always have to make a connection, so I doubt I would buy anything that has to be "repacked".

waunakee, Wis
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying liquid at duty free? Leave room in your luggage!

Hola TSUAGD...how do you like the great welcome back to cold weather?? I sure don't!! In response to the liquids at the airport. While in Cancun...by the way is a fiasco of an airport...we were lead to believe after you are checked in gone thru security and so forth that you could buy vanilla , water, soda...not so, they search everyones purses and carry ons as you are leaving the gate to go on to the bus that takes you to the plane. People on the bus told us they had to give up their vanilla that they just purchased at the airport. Now tell me that isn't a scam. Goes right back on the shelf I bet!! we also saw them taking peoples water bottles.

One tip that we learned, never fly into Cancun on a Saturday or Sunday. They are unable to handle all the flights in and out. We were delayed in Atlanta for over 1 1/2 hrs because of Cancun, as alot of people from different airports were also delayed. Going back home was the same story, delayed about 1 hour. No place to sit, so many people.

TSUAGD...will talk to you later, it was nice meeting you and your husband.

3. Re: Buying liquid at duty free? Leave room in your luggage!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 24, 2009