We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

1 post
Save Topic
Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

Hi, I flew with Alitalia from Paris to Rome, and when I arrived at the FCO airprt in Rome, I found out that my luggage hasnt arrived. I went to speak to the Alitalia lost & found agents and they told me that my luggage was still at the Paris airport (but they didnt really sound like they knew whereabouts of my luggage.), and they opened a report for me. I was also told that my luggage will arrive in Rome with the next possible flight from Paris to Rome and that it will be delivered to my hotel the next day. I came back to the hote from sightseeing the next day, but the luggage wasnt deieveted. I looked it up on the Internet, and found out that Alitalia airlines is well known for its poor and crappy customer service and for losing luggages. I also read a lot of reviews which said that Alitalia lost & found (especially rome FCO airport) never answers any phone calls and that even if they do, they are unfriendly, uninterested, rude and useless. Many people said that their lost/delayed tracking website never works. I havent had time to ring them to find out what exactly is going on, but I doubt it will be much of help even if i do so. I really desperately need my luggage back asap, and it is so frustrating. What is there that i can do to get my luggage back? Would it be better to go to the airport myself and speak to them in person?

A QUICK REPLY WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

21 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,093 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

It's a very good idea. I must start doing this myself. Although if a hold bag of mine did go missing it would not be the end of the world for me.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

As soon as anyone opens my bag, they would find my name, contact info & an itinerary with further info.

I take a photo of my belongings & luggage (at the airport) stamped date & time.

Kesh_grammy

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,094 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

I do put that piece of paper inside my bag always now - thank you for that tip, ATF - first read here several years ago now courtesy of USBT!!!

Never thought to photograph the bags in the airport at departure time. Could easily do it at the same time I'm attaching my cable ties that I also always use. After all, I always photograph the outside of every rental car before we drive off in it!

SWT

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

@SWT

They may try to dispute a photo, however I will keep clicking away.

btw, I loved the new cable ties I used on my flight last September to Ireland, neon in orange & green.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 1:00 pm, December 08, 2016
Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

My bag was lost from Malta to Naples transiting through Rome and was lost for 9 days. The service was terrible as they said above. I called every day and the hotel was so nice as to call as well. I also went onto the website for updates and had the PIR number, just hopeless. When I spoke with Malta airport as they thought it might still be there, the lady said bags go missing in Rome all the time. They don't have a system that works, and maybe the staff just go slow all day so they actually take 7 days to find your bag. What is the bar code for when you check your bag in . I wouldn't think it would be hard to find a bag that has a code on it that matches your ticket on the boarding pass. All in all my bag was gone for 9 days and it was a debacle to get it back as well. They didn't call me once, but called the hotel at midnight to say they had found it. Just such a downer on my trip and they have told me today they will reimburse me 200 Euros what a joke. I spend a lot more than 200E to get some clothes and a new bag as I still had 18 days of my holiday left. I probably wouldn't fly Alitalia again.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,093 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

You need to be prepared for lost or delayed bags with all airlines. Baggage handlers handle bags for all airlines at an airport, not specific and individual ones.

It's fair to say that some airlines might have better customer service than others once it comes to reporting an issue, but again, the difficulties that can arise in tracking and identifying bags are not limited to certain airlines. They are common to all.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

I can understand that 9 days are very long to wait for a misplaced luggage. But I think you are not very fair or balanced in your critique.

You have three airports involved based on your itinerary, Plus sometimes the luggage takes another route than the passenger. If that was the case, tell your luggage off ;-).

<<They don't have a system that works>> It seems that they have a system, as you have received back your luggage.

Luggage is handled by luggage handlers and not by the airline.

<<They didn't call me once, but called the hotel at midnight>> <<I called every day and the hotel was so nice as to call as well>> They likely noted down the number of the hotel. The more parties involved, the more confusion there can be. Plus at midnight they likely preferred to call the hotel than to risk waking you up.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

I have the impression it is quite common for bags to go missing at FCO and not be reunited with owners for many days. My bag once failed to appear at FCO after a nonstop fllight from JFK. I decided to do some searching myself before filing my report & leaving airport. At the total opposite end of the luggage carousels from where it was supposed to arrive I found it just sitting on the floor not far from a huge collection of hundreds -- if not thousands -- of "unclaimed" bags. I was so grateful my bag didn't meet their fate.

Alitalia has had many problems, including labor problems, for years, so the disappointing customer service is no surprise. I think when flying them it's a good idea to make sure you have your essentials in your carryon, you have trip insurance ,and you keep your expectations low.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

OMG someone please help me. Lost luggage flying Air Italy....stranded now with nothing in Rome. That tracing website is rubbish, yesterday someone at the call centre (and don't ask me what number I called as they have SEVERAL), told me they found my bag. But today no one knows about it.

Has this happened to anyone?

Edited: 2:08 am, July 25, 2018
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)

This thread is about baggage problems with Alitalia. Air Italy is a totally different airline (one of Alitalia's competitors). If it was Air Italy you were flying with, close your post in this thread and start a new thread with Air Italy as part of the title - that way people with Air Italy experience might spot it and respond.

Reply to: Alitalia lost/delayed luggage!!!! (URGENT)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted