We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley HELP

Skegness, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley HELP

Hello, We are coming to Vegas in Jan 14th as it's my husbands (Philip) 60th birthday and a big John Wayne fan, we have visited his home in Winterset, now he would like to visit MV. We would like an overnight stay, but all the tours I have looked at do overnights at other places, Viator sounds good but not overnight, also I understand it's out of season. One company said they may cancel at the last minute due to lack of custom, but we don't want that, we want to go. Philip would gladly drive but I'm a little unsure, am I'm worrying over nothing. Roughly what would be the cost of car/petrol etc. We understand it's an 8 hour drive !! please,, Debs ?????

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley HELP

Greetings and welcome out west. You might want to post on the actual Monument Valley forum, but I would self tour. You could rent a car in vegas and book a backcountry tour once you get to Monument Valley.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g57072-i3667-Monum…

In January, there is always a possibility of snow but I wouldn't be overly worried about it. It is still the desert and temps are usually more mild and you won't be going over any high mountain passes. You could also stop at the Little Hollywood Museum in Kanab, UT for some more John Wayne memorabilia. Though I'm not sure of it's seasonal hours.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g57030-d27…

Fuel is roughly 3.50 per gallon with a round trip milage of about 900 miles. So it would depend on the fuel efficiency of the vehicle you rent and current prices.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
52,841 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley HELP

No question that renting a car, driving yourselves and staying over night at the View or Gouldings lodge would be the most economic and efficient way to visit Monument Valley.

First step is to book a room. You'll need 1-2 nights as it will take most of a day to drive each way, from and back to LV. Next step is to book a vehicle. The roads to MV are all good. Any type of vehicle that you're comfortable driving will be fine. Booking through an agency in your homeland is often the best way to go about it.

You'll book a native guided back country tour at MV. All of the guides are trained and able. The important thing is to select a tour that goes beyond the basic loop road.

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley HELP

Hi,

If you decide that you are going to drive round MV yourself rather than take a tour, then make sure you do not rent a "low slung" car as you may well ground it!

Bob

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley HELP

I suggest you drive... One day through Zion to Kanab or Parker... the next to Monument Valley... Stay at Gouldings with its John Wayne museum...

Snow can be an issue, but it isn't that bad at worst... 10 years ago we did Monument Valley in December in a blizzard, arriving in a white out... only to wake up to the most spectacular views of the monuments capped with snow.

Heading back, consider Grand Canyon...

Randy

5. Re: Monument Valley HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 19, 2014