We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

slot canyons near kanab, utah

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
77 helpful votes
slot canyons near kanab, utah

Greetings all. I am going to be in the Kanab area at the end of June and would like any info on slot canyons. I know of peek-a-boo (red canyon) but realize it is quite a hike from the highway. I will not be driving a 4x4 so my only option is to hike. I am 62 years old but in good health. I will be traveling alone. Can anyone give me detailed directions to this slot canyon, or suggest alternate canyons to explore? Where should I park? The only other slot canyon I have been to was Willis Creek and it was beautiful but not the closer walls I was hoping for. I have seen a video of red canyon and it looks like one I would enjoy. Thanks guys and happy hiking.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,497 posts
451 reviews
196 helpful votes
1. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Peek-a-Boo is great and is not difficult to access. But it's also not near Kanab - about a four hour drive. Willis Creek is quite close. I haven't hiked this one so can't tell you firsthand. Here's info:

zionnational-park.com/grand-staircase-hiking…

You'll get far more responses on this if you post it in the Utah forum.

Have fun.

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Thanks tumbleweed and cactus. I think the peek-a-boo canyon you are speaking about is near Escalante, just off the hole in the rock road. The canyon I am speaking about is called red canyon, but many call it peek-a-boo and it is near Kanab, Utah. I do intend to visit the canyon near Escalante, and also spooky gulch, and the devils garden. Do you know of any other canyons in that area? Thanks for responding to my post.

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

hey, T and C, I just read on one of your other posts that you have a jeep. The trip to red canyon requires a 4x4, Why don't you meet me in Kanab on June 30th and we'll do red canyon. I'll pay for the gas. Just a thought. Have a good one.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
69 helpful votes
4. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

You should consider letting a tour company take you. They will use 4X4 and can drop you right at the entrance thus eliminating the need for a long hike. I used Dreamland Safari Tours to see this slot and can highly recommend them. The cost is reasonable - I believe they offer a 1/2 day tour (I did this as part of a much larger multi-day tour). They may also be able to offer you guidance in terms of other options (some which you may be able to reach on your own - I did find them more than willing to assist with suggestions). Will, the owner, has exensive experience in the area having worked for the BLM. Good luck and have fun, it really is a spectacular area. If $ isn't a consideration (fees are quite reasonable but not cheap) you could also consider wirepass (tour) and finally although not a slot canyon I highly recommend White Pocket. Plenty of online information can show you images - you would definitely need a tour considering the distance and 4X4 necessity. All the options I mention should be available through Dremland - I have utilized their services twice and am considering doing so again in early July.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

I haven't been but have heard Zebra slot canyon is in the area and comes highly recommended in my photography book. I have seen images and it looks beautiful and very interesting/unique compared to many slots I have been in (and I have done quite a few).

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
77 helpful votes
6. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Thanks Jason, I actually have contacted that tour company and they told me that unless they get more participants for that tour they won't be running it on the day I will be in the area. I have made alternate plans for that day, I plan to visit wirepass and buckskin gulch. If anyone has some detailed info for that area, I would appreciate it. Have a good one!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Buckskin is fantastic! Also in that area is Water Holes Slot Canyon (requires $5 Navajo permit). I have pics posted of both on my webpage: http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/az2012

The road to Buckskin is typically accessible by passenger car - but check with BLM office. Water Holes is right off the highway, so no off road driving required.

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
106 reviews
77 helpful votes
8. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Thanks pudgy_groundhog, those pictures are fantastic! I am really looking forward to my trip later this month. Is the walk from the parking area thru wirepass and on to Buckskin Gulch pretty well defined? I've never been in this area and I don't want to get lost. I was out to Utah before, but couldn't get my wife to visit the slots, she is very timed when she hears flash flood. Admitedly it was in August and the threat of rain was present. She will be visiting friends in St. Louis this time so I'm going for it. Wish me luck!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

Yes, it is well defined. It's pretty clear to walk up the wash/Wire Pass until you meet the confluence with Buckskin Gulch. Hope you get a clear forecast. Enjoy!

10. Re: slot canyons near kanab, utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions