We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

working vacation or job

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
working vacation or job

I like to ask you all about people who work in the travel Industry

such as one who decides to work as a Trip Leader for a company like G Adventures (formerly GAP)

or Intrepid, or Exodus or any of those small group tour companies

othanksr even one of those big bus companies tours like Globus or Contiki, Trafalgar etc

Would u consider a position to work as a good career break? i know they do not pay that great, but experience is good, and good life experience i might think as i have been clients

would u consider doing a good position for someone in their almost mid 30s who is looking for a change for some time, just to do a different lifestyle,

as i am looking for direction

and thought of the idea of working in my own country etc, as a tour leader for some time?

if anyone on here who has worked for those companies or done a similar job position, please let me know your experiences

like i know you live out of your back pack 24/7

But would u consider a good experience? thanks

this would mean lots to me if someone sends some good replies on this.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
611 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: working vacation or job

Definitely do a lot of research on such companies. I know one company that hires workers to work in Yellowstone Nat'l. Park. The vendor they worked for said they work with people so they can enjoy their time off in the park. Well, this was a retired couple who wanted to spend a summer in YNP, so they worked a retail (non-lodging) job. The complaints were just that the company basically would have you work four hours, give you a two hour or so break, then want you to come back and work another three or four hours to closing. The scheduling was an issue because it basically didn't allow for very many options to just get out and enjoy the park.

On the other hand, we spoke with a college aged girl who was a server in a restaurant in Glacier NP at Lake McDonald lodge. She said that her and her sister make enough money working there over the busy travel months that they can rent and work in Hawaii during the down times for Glacier. Sounds like just something to do for those who don't want to go to college or spend what it now costs to go to college. A very nomadic life.

Additionally, we spoke with another young woman of the same age who worked as a server at a restaurant just outside the east entry of Glacier. She was from overseas and some of the other servers were as well. She said that she signed up for that job with some company that sends people all over to popular tourist destinations. She wanted big city USA, but ended up in NW Montana. She said she was happy, but was looking forward because since Glacier travel season was winding down, she finally got a transfer to go and work/live in NYC, where she wanted to go originally.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: working vacation or job

for sure something t o research

3. Re: working vacation or job

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 17, 2013