We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overseas Adventure Travel

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Overseas Adventure Travel

I just joined this forum and hope you can assist me. I know 2 people who have taken several trips with this small group travel company, and they recommend it highly. However, I found conversations on the web in which people who trveled with this group indicated they had horrible experiences and that tour leaders were not helpful in resolving problems. They complained of long rides in small buses. I checked BBB - it indicates there have been 89 complaints registered in the last 3 years, few of which were satisfactorily closed. I realize that some travelers are just complainers, or they sign up for a trip that isnt appropriate for their expectations. Can anyone help me with some unbiased feedback on this company? We're thinking of trying it as an alternative to Classic Journeys - which was a WONDEFUL small group walking tour company experience, but a bit pricey for us.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I've traveled both single (two trips) and couple (one trip) with OAT and found that they treat everyone just great. I did the Argentina and Chile trip two years ago and there were a number of singles, including me on that one, and a wide range of ages on the trip (a lady of 84 who walked me into the dirt and 79 y/o man who runs marathons). All blended quite well with each other. OAT does a lot of "adventure" things and skips the big five star hotels. It is NOT billed as nor operates as luxury travel. You do get a reasonable amount of interaction with locals and local cultures. They certainly deliver the product that they advertise. From my experiences, one gets out of a group trip when one adds to it. I will return to OAT next year for the Bhutan/Himalaya experience!

cocoa beach, florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I have traveled the world on my own, but last year went with Grand Circle on a tour to China. I was wary, since I like to be on my own, but I had a wonderful time. So wonderful, that I am going to Machu Picchu with them soon. If you read some of my posts on this site, you will see that I usually love every place I go, so maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. The hotels you stay in are not going to be like 5 star western hotels, but do you really go to a foreign country to have that kind of experience? All of the hotels we stayed in were nice with a cultural flair. And like you said, the price is right. At least you're not staying in a bedouin tent, like I recently did in Jordan. Hope this helps.

boston MA
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I have been to Morocco and viet nam with overseas adventure travel, and was absolutely thrilled with the (low) cost, the hotels, and (generally) the meals; in both cases the guides were extraordinary individuals who bent over backwards to accommodate everyone and were extremely well educated and happy to entertain any questions that we might have had. They obviously prepared well for each site we visited. I will travel to India with this company this year. I know the company puts a lot of pressure on their guides to do a superlative job; and what determines how well the trip unfolds rests with the guide. I recommend this company highly!

Edited: 4:57 pm, August 04, 2010
14. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 26, 2010
Seattle
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

We traveled in July, 2010 to Tanzania with OAT and I can't say enough wonderful things about our trip. We had fantastic tour guides (Godliving, Herbie and Nickson), once in Tanzania there wasn't even one problem, we loved the "learning and discover" aspects of our trip including our Masaii encounters, visiting a school, markets, etc interspersed with our fabulous experience of the animals and birds on the safari. We did have a few problems before the trip with seats together, but they did get things fixed before we left. I would travel with OAT again without hesitation!!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Not yet got which part of the world you want to travel..... but my advises will always goes to use anywhere ground tour operator which means the tour company from the country where you are interest to visit.

Likely, in our country the well known local companies are mentioned below they do conduct regulare adventure, cultural, honeymoon, safaris, biking tours round the year.

www.visitatp.com

www.hunzatravels.pk

you can try if you inetersted to do some kind of adventure tour....

Happy Travels!

HT

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

# 14: Tootsie, I would be interested in your plans for your trip to India this year. I have just learned about OAT recently, but note they seem to operate only in US, whereas we are in Canada. Diana H, Ontario Canada

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
420 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Diana. My understanding is that now travelers from Canada may join OAT tours. You can call OAT to find out about the availability of their tours to Canadians. If you have a problem, just PM me, and there is a fellow that I talked to there who was able to arrange a tour for a Canadian friend of mine.

Sandy

Duluth
Level Contributor
48 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I was very pleased with my OAT trip to Thailand last year. Our leader (Mai) was excellent!!!! We did many spontaneous things such as stopping at a traditional Thai house and getting invited in, stopping to dig up tapioca to see what it looked like. Mai told us that if the guides don't score 100% on their rating from the guests, they no longer have a job. I am going to India with OAT Nov/Dec 2010. They offer a free single supplement so both my friend and I are taking single rooms. I have found the hotels and meals to be excellent!!

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

My husband and I have traveled with their alter group - Grand Circle Travel. I will soon be in India with OAT. Have we ever had a problem? Yes. Was it resolved? Definitely. Guides who free lance have mentioned that this is one of the better groups which they work for. We really enjoy their school visits and home hosted meals. We have also enjoyed the interesting people who also travel on these trips - often retired professionals from the medical or scientific community. There are better hotels available and fancier restaurants, but we do not travel for hotels or restaurants.. Some folks do. Our experiences have been excellent (Egypt, Eastern Europe, South America, and Spain), we are treated well, and we will continue to travel with them.

Get answers to your questions