We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to find Timeshare resales

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
441 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to find Timeshare resales

Hi, What sites do you think are the best to find resale timeshares at bargain basement prices. How safe is it to do a resale. What things hsould you be sue to check out? Any suggestions on how to actually do this resale thing would be appreciated. Thanks. I do own 4 timeshares now, 2 in Mexico right to use and 2 deeded in states. Thanks

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

Absolute safest and convienent is to use a licensed real estate broker, also the management company selling off some from the HOAs inventory where folks haven't kept up with their maintance or assessments billed to them. I have seen beachfront bright red weeks in a standard resort go from the management comapny for closing costs only.

You asked about Trading Places on the other thread. I like Trading Places for several reasons....one is that they list overage surplus wkkes (along with Interval International) on dedicated websites that give US Military members a break on their weeks vacations.

(Interval is only an exchange company in most cases, Trading Places is somewhat more)..In anycase, this is that government website:

www.govarm.com

TRading Places also manages some resorts under contract from the HOAs of the condos. They deal mostly (so far) in weeks, and sometimes in points. ( Most points systems are supposed to be backed by a weeks (or some kind of interval) ownership, someplace, in sopme resort. A junky resort at a junky time week will convert to a lot less points than a bright red week in the Four Season in S Calif (The top timeshare in the USA....maybe the world)

TRading Places has a list of resales if you follow the cues upon entering their website.

www.tradingplaces.com

There will be a discussion on Trading Places on either www.tugbbs.com or www. timeshareforums.com somethime this week. Try to join it. A VP will be answering questions (if this goes off)

Other places to buy (remember that you need to close via a closing company, usually about 200 to 500 but that will give you

Also, some places that sell points...it has been determined that some points programs have a point price for resale.

THe other day, a load of Fairfield (Wyndham) points sold for one half cent each....(developer price is usually about 13 cents each).....so keep researching you will get a lot of UNBIASED help on the www.tugbbs.com or TS4RUMs mentioned above...

Some sites to check

TUG classifieds.....they will have the top most honest realtors listed in the ads. I will only mention first names...you need to search this out, as I don't want this info removed...its not an ad

Seth Nock

http://www.sellingtimeshares.net/aboutus.asp

....Judi

http://www.timeshareresalepros.com

Joanne Peters: (Deals mainly in Sanibel Captiva, S Fl HGVC units...can sell a week or HGVC points:

Email, she will return with a list..I can't find website: Most of her areas are very bright red, and excellent traders

jpeters@hgvc.com

Of course you noted e bay T/S listings?

I think thses guys are RE Brokers:

Thay have some great pricing, too;

www.holidaygroup.com

Note a 2 for one sale.........remember, even if they give you a place for free...you still have to pay maint fees & taxes every year)

www.redweek.com (no realtors here or on the rest):

www.myresortnetwork.com

There are others. I would stay away form several...unrelistic pricing...the people are in dreamland.

Suggestions?

Marriott 2 bed 2 bath Seaview CC and Fairways in NJ just went for $2000 gold season. Another Marriott on HHI seems to be just under $3000. THese are all Every Year (EY) 2 bed 2 baths, but they are NOT LOCK OFFS.

If you can find a lock off that works like Marriott contracts, you might be able to get up to 3 weeks for your one week....which really saves on Maintance fees and taxes.

But, you may not have the time to take that much vacation.

You can also attempt to rent, but as you probably found out, thats harder than it appears......some don't even get their maint fees back.

I think the problem is the exchange companies with their $199 and 299 weeks they offer..

Hope someone else can add HONEST resale sites.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

I need to add....

Those Fairfield Wyndham points was an exception...rarely did I ever see a post where anyone bought resale points for 1/2 cent each.

But it might have een backed by a resort that is closed, and will have many assessments....

Most FF resale points are between 1.8 cents and 3 cents each.....the maint fees, taxes, and assessments cause that difference....higher fees means lower point price.

BTW...anyone reaiding this and contemplating converting your RCI week to points? A reminder, RCI charges the resort $199 to $299 to do this (convert a week). THose sales agents are keeping the difference.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

Thanks for all the great info. I will keep searching and check out all the info you sent. I have lots of time to vacation, and lots of friends who want to go with me. I vacation mostly in Mexico, as live here pretty much full time. Thanks again...

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
357 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

check out timesharestogo.com .. picked a deal in scottsdale here at a starwood resort ! nice folks ..

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

We purchase our timeshare resales at holidaygroup.com. They are a legitimate resale business with some great prices!

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

Holiday Group will give a discount to certain readers of select T/S bbs systems....maybe Trip advisor.... I know for www.tugbbs.com.

I would ask, but I think Holiday Group might feel I'm pushung the 'bar' too far.

I still want to warn....yes, a free unit with one purchased...but MAKE SURE you want that extra unit, its a good time & location for you, AND you are prepared to pay the maint fees and taxes on the unit every year for all time if deeded (or until the RTU ends if not deeded).

7. Re: Best places to find Timeshare resales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 31, 2009