We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timeshare insurance

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
timeshare insurance

we have a timeshare in S. Lucia but can exchange with RCI points. We are being offered (optional) an insurance which protects against lost exchange for maintenance fees in case of cancellation etc + much more. It's thru CSA Travel Protection and only costs $59/yr. Anybody familiar with this? $59 isn't much of course, but why pay anything if it isn't going to pan out. Thx for any input.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timeshare insurance

There are several companies. Some are listed above.

A very popular one is sometimes advertised here, in travel magazines and in Timesharing Today mag. It is run by Nationwide Insurance, I think called Vacation Guard and has a two fee system.

The first lowest cost insures for a certain amount of points or just under two weeks a year. The second higher fee insures for a year at over 2 weeks usage.

Remembering that many with a high demand week in a lock off unit can potentially get three weeks for their one, that nationwide policy covers a lot. The last time I saw, the higher priced was $99.00 US for they year.

II and RCI also have insurance. I believe IIs insurance is via Travel Guard (AIG).....but it only covers the week you excjhanged into.

Many people lost weeks due to hurricanes. Sometime RCI or II made good, and gave another week, but not always, and not promised in their cotracts.

Check the above sites in the TA ads. also:

http://www.vacationguard.com/ (Nationwide)

2. Re: timeshare insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 25, 2009