We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare newbee

Alberta, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Timeshare newbee

We have recently purchased a points timeshare in Banff. We are now hoping to take the family (6) to Cancun in Jan 2007. We have started doing the research & have 1/2 decided on the Golden Shores, AI is fairly reasonable, and the info I have read on TA says you can get a suite that sleeps up to 8, with 3 bathrooms. Is it worth using points for flights or do you just keep looking for a good deal? For the experienced timeshare users, what do you do for flights? We will be flying from Edmonton? Also some people say they book 2 yrs, in advance?!! On the RCI site it says you can only book 10 months in advance. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

georgia
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare newbee

hi! i am not sure of how far you can book... i DO know that your points/weeks need to be deposited 10-12 months in advance of use year end .as far as flights... i would use my timeshare for where to stay, and go on line maybe priceline or travelocity for the best prices. for airfare. you can get these last minute as where the timeshare reserve needs to be done asap for when you want to go.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare newbee

we use to book11 months in advance for the location we wanted which was a high destination trade. If I didnt get our tixs before the trade, when and if the trade did happen. no flights. If you know of a place, it can be booked 11 months in advance, some say 13 months in advance, but you have to own multilpe timeshares for that. With Interval Internation trading co. it is important to give a lot of dates for travel to the place you want. Remember it is a game and the smater people seem to win. Also remember all the places look nice in the book. May only want a 5 star trade. When ever we go, we never get a good deal with planes or can use our airline points.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare newbee

Hi Sunnyfunny

We have owned timeshares for 15 years and ceded (changed) to points three years ago. Hopefully this might help with some of your questions

Booking dates/times are as follows:

If you are booking a points appartment you can only book up to 10 months before the date of travel.

If you are booking a weeks appartment you can book up to 2 years before the date of travel.

If you want to spend your vacation at the timeshare you own points at you MUST book this 11/12 month's in advance.

If you own points you do not have to worry about banking them this is done for you.

As far as using points to purchase flights, car hire or hotels it's not a good idea. It's a point's and money system and it works out very expensive. It's always best to go online and pick up cheap deals from there.

I would also suggest you decide very quickly where you want to go. It's very much a first come first served business and it can be a pain if you don't get what you really want.

If you set up an account on the RCI website (rci.com) you can organise your trip online without the hassle of doing it over the phone.

I really hope you enjoy your timeshare vacations. We have had some great ones, all around the world. It really does work out so much cheaper and you get to stay in the high grade resorts that you so quickly come to expect.

Hope that helps, if I can help further please help

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare newbee

You've gotten excellent replies, but if you really want to learn how to use your timeshare effectively, you need to start reading the BBS on www.tug2.net

The tug stands for timeshare users group, and it's a sharing bbs, much like this one, except that everyone is dealing with timeshares. There's no question you can possibly ask about any aspect of timesharing that someone on TUG can't answer. The BBS is free, and the people are friendly. If you decide you love the site and want to support it, membership is $15.00 a year. For the $15.00, you get access to the timeshare reviews members have done on just about every timeshare that exists and the sightings board.

To find it, go to

www.tug2.net

click on BBS on the top of the page

set up an identity, as you do here, and proceed.

On the first page, you'll also find very informational reports, such as Timesharing 101. They are listed on the left hand side of the page.

5. Re: Timeshare newbee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 18, 2009