I have submitted a request for accomodation and the owner has approved it. I have since asked if I could stay another day but the owner and myself can find no way of amending the travel dates or cancelling the request so I can submit another. At the moment, because the first request has been approved, the system tells me the dates are unavailable if I try to submit another request.
Do I just have to wait for the offer to expire and then re-submit a request? Obviously, I don't want the property to get snapped up by someone else!
Thanks for your help.