We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport identification

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport identification

I'm considering renting a villa in Lanzarote via the Rentalia website and the owner has asked me to send a copy of my passport to prepare the contract. Not sure if this is something I should be doing, can anyone advise me please?

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport identification

The homeowner is going to give you access to a very expensive asset, and probably collect some puny amount of money like $300 as a security deposit. He/she wants to know who he's renting to. In the US, some owners ask for identification of everyone staying in the home. I find that a bit excessive, but your owner has a legitimate interest in know that you are who you claim to be.

Happy travels!

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport identification

Thank you. I was just a bit worried about the potential for identity theft if he has my passport details.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport identification

That risk is very much there. Providing passport details will in no way improve the security for the owner. I would be very wary about sending passport details to people or organisations I don't know, just as I would be very wary paying any deposit other than by credit card. The risk of a would be client not turning up is part of business risks when dealing with international clients over the internet. LCM and I differ on deposit and identity requirements pertaining to holiday accommodation.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport identification

Not too sure I would be happy send a copy of my passport either, what did you do?

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport identification

Just to provide a bit of perspective on this remark:

"Providing passport details will in no way improve the security for the owner."

Bean is entitled to his opinion and speaks from the perspective of an observer. I'm a vacation rental owner, who has stories about activities that go on in rented homes that would curl your hair. Having the small security blanket of a copy of someone's identification helps sort criminals from the rest of the gang. No matter where you stay these days, you provide identification. For vacation rentals, you may be asked to give that ID when you confirm your booking.

LMM

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport identification

I have to agree LVM. We have a vacation rental on the Jersey Shore and I ask the person signing the contract for a copy of their driver's license. I want to know that #1 they are who they say they are and #2 that they are indeed the 40 year old father of two they claim not an 18 year old looking for a rental to share with his high school buddies! Your passport has your Name, date and place of birth on it....is that such a threat potential? You can get more than that on Facebook! Hey, do what you want but don't expect to rent my condo with out ID!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport identification

Nothing says that you can't blank out the sensitive fields in a driver's licence, or passport. Passport number would be a good example.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport identification

I'd still like to know what could be done with the passport number?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport identification

Sending personal ID info in any form --drivers license, passport-- to a stranger is a risky business, but in some cases a necessary one. Passport number alone is useless but combined with name, address, birthdate it can be used for all sorts of nefarious purposes. Legal/security experts will warn you from sending passport copies to strangers because it can be and has been misused to conduct illegal bank transactions.

10. Re: Passport identification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2014