We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is RCI worth it?

Brattleboro, Vermont
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is RCI worth it?

20 years ago we had a condo at a Utah ski area that was in RCI. We'd put a week into RCI and get a week somewhere else. We went to Mexico, Hawaii, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Stowe, VT and the Berkshires.

I'm thinking of buying a quarterly timeshare (we'd own 13 weeks) and putting it into RCI.

So if I got a place through RCI, I'd still have to get airfare.

It seems that these days I can get a week at an all inclusive resort for the same price as just the airfare alone.

So is RCI the deal it used to be?

558 replies to this topic
Brisbane
Level Contributor
27 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Is RCI worth it?

as far as I know you just stop using RCI and paying their yearly fee, which I am now doing, but the problem is you still have your timeshare yearly maintenance fees to pay, and like us you can only use their resort or some have sister resorts where it is a bit cheaper to book, we are now trying to sell ours as like you they were once good but now too difficult to use and costly

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
112. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Bivens -- Our understanding is the same as that explained by mr_cow above...

Many people don't understand, or forget, that their timeshare ownership at their home resort and their RCI membership are two different entities....with two different purposes. Your timeshare ownership (usually) entitles you to use a unit of a particular size at a particular "home" resort during a specific time period. Your RCI membership allows you to "bank" the "value" of the unit you own with RCI, instead of using it yourself at your home resort, and then exchannging it for another unit at some time at some other resort. You can own a timeshare unit without ever joining RCI, but you can't join RCI unless you own a timeshare.

Your RCI membership is for a specified period of time, usually one, two or three years. At the end of that membership time, you have the option of renewing your membership or letting it expire -- however, letting it expire will mean you no longer have access to exchanges through RCI, leaving you with the unit you own in the time you own, and, in a few cases, the option of doing limited exchanges within your home resort and any "sister" resorts under common ownership.

We're among the "fortunate" owners who bought our unit at a resort we really enjoy -- and while we've had some great (and a few not-so-great) exchanges through RCI over the years, we're seriously considering not renewing our RCI membership when it comes up for renewal and just enjoying our ownership time at our "home" resort. Over the years, the quailty of the RCI program has eroded (especially since Wyndham assumed control of RCI), the availability of good exchanges has markedly declinde (as Wyndham siphoned off exchanges for Wyndham Resort owners?), and the overall RCI experience just isn't what it used to be.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
27 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Is RCI worth it?

very well put mainer on the go

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Is RCI worth it?

mrcow, have you looked at Dial an Exchange? No annual membership fee unlike RCI & II. It works to a different model which may or may not suit your needs but it's worth investigating. I use them from the UK but I think they started in either Oz or NZ.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Here's my 2 cents worth: if you want to buy a timeshare why not get one for free? Here is a website with 100's of timeshares for free> www.haveatimeshare.com and I you just want to rent, go to www.skyauction.com and rent a timeshare for a week or two for much lower prices than Wyndham.

Moose Jaw, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
116. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Definitely not worth it. My wife and I are long standing RCI Members since 1989. We exchanged for 3 weeks for a 1 bedroom unit with a kitchen. We had to check out of the Golden Shores Resort ID: 2028 in Manzanillo Mexico because of the deplorable conditions. This resort is certainly not up to any RCI standard. The resort and the rooms are extremely dated and in deplorable conditions. We entered our room to the strong smell of mould (the nasty type, stachybotrys) I was ill almost immediately and my wife was not feeling well either. The bed is as hard as a rock, the furniture is in really bad condition, the windows have no security (can't lock them), the door into suite is a thin wood door, no dead bolt. The kitchen is in awful condition, the stove does not work, the fridge is full of rust and unsanitary. We got into Manzanillo late therefore we could not find alternate accommodations. We had no choice but to stay the one night and in the morning we woke up to no water - none at all! When we called the front desk they were aware that the water was out but had no idea what the problem was or when it would be fixed. We have pictures and video of all this. We asked the resort to switch rooms and we moved into a room that was not as bad as the original room however still bad - the fridge had a little less rust and the stove looked a bit better. They showed us two other rooms however same situation and condition. Honestly this is such a crappy resort overall and we are simply astonished that is is on the RCI list of resorts. I know sometimes people might exaggerate honestly we are not, in fact we are likely not describing it badly enough. Of course we are now stranded in Manzanillo for the next 3 weeks - yes this was to be a nice, long, relaxing vacation for us, 3 weeks. I called RCI and of course they were closed all week end long until Monday. I contacted the emergency line. They unfortunately could not help us at all. They suggested that if we were concerned for our health and safety that we could check into a hotel for the week end, at our expense until someone from RCI could get a hold of us on Monday or sooner. I asked her to please try to have someone contact us as soon as possible. They sent an email to the RCI Mexico office hoping that someone over the week end might be able to contact us to help us. As of Sunday we had not heard from anyone. We checked into a Hotel at considerable expense and we got a room just for the week end. We got a hold of RCI on Monday and asked them to come to our assistance and find us suitable accommodations with a kitchen as per our original 3 week booking. We need accommodation until Fri. March 28th when we need to fly back home. We asked RCI to look at our record as RCI members and customers - we are not complainers. We are stuck here in Manzanillo far from home and we needed their help. We asked for someone very senior in RCI to review our situation immediately and come to our assistance as soon as possible as we will be literally in the streets of Manzanillo. A Rep from the RCI Mexico office did her best to try to find us another place however there were no alternate resorts available this week in Manzanillo , our week 1. She indicated there is a possibility to go to a resort for week 2 (Tesoro, older at RCI standard level) and week 3 (Barcelo Karmina) however they are both all inclusive and it would cost us $ 70\day x 2 x 14 days = $ 1960 USD which we did not plan to spend. SO to recap we are basically on our own for week 1 and RCI cannot help us. We are still on our own and have had to find our own solution. The solutions put forth by RCI for weeks 2 and 3 we cannot afford, we are still on our own and RCI has not helped us. We have photos and videos of the deplorable resort RCI put us in and we will share them with other RCI members to ensure what has happened to us will never happen to other members. Email me at johnlig@me.com and I will send them to any interested RCI member. RCI has let us down beyond what words can express and their Senior Leaders and Executives are to be ashamed of how they have treated us. They have not helped us at all, no one at RCI cares. Shame on you RCI!!

Houston, Texas...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Dang it! I wish I knew about that before January when my daughter and I purchased our timeshare. And we really just wanted the 2weeks to travel internationally thru RCI.

Abington...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: Is RCI worth it?

We have belonged to RCI since 1979. The rules keep changing so much that we can NEVER go where we want to go when we want. We find RCI not worth the fees charged. Our condo in the Bahamas is rated a 13. So we can NEVER go to the west coast of Florida, Aruba or any of the Island except Punta Cana. A lot of the places are closed to us for any of the other nice places between May and October i.e. Myrtle Beach. To combine two deposits plus the $109.00 fee would be more than going on our own and paying the resorts ourselves. Therefore, we are going to try to sell our condo for whatever amount we can get just to get rid of it.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
256 reviews
Save Reply
119. Re: Is RCI worth it?

I am a thoroughly frustrated, nearly finished with RCI (almost ex-) customer. I inherited a week in US, and we thought that RCI would be great as we lived abroad. At the (nearly) end of this long-drawn out affair with RCI, I can not get away from this company fast enough. It is so ridiculously to TRY to get a holiday, and the prices are so far out of whack with what I can easily book in one hour and at much less the price.

There was a law suit (BIG) about 4 yrs. ago, where all the things they had done to me… you find out was what they were doing to everyone. Now, after loosing, they are back and seems up to same and similar tricks, but now it is the Points people who are complaining. We, Weeks, people are/were always made to feel cheap and poor, but now, seems they are ripping off the Points folks who they always made out to be 'the real way to go'. If you do a few simple Google searches, it does not take long at all to see what a Scam this company is. End of story!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Part of the problem since Wyndham took over is that majority of available units that historically were in the pool of exchanges for timeshare owners are now pulled out of that pool and put in the rental pool for non-owners. While this is wrong and not what we were told when we purchased, even after lawsuits, Wyndham/RCI still does this. That is why there never seem to be units available for exchange. Go and look on the Wyndham and RCI rental sites and you will likely be able to rent it. Wrong but not much you can do about it.

Reply to: Is RCI worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted