We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is RCI worth it?

Brattleboro, Vermont
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Is RCI worth it?

20 years ago we had a condo at a Utah ski area that was in RCI. We'd put a week into RCI and get a week somewhere else. We went to Mexico, Hawaii, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Stowe, VT and the Berkshires.

I'm thinking of buying a quarterly timeshare (we'd own 13 weeks) and putting it into RCI.

So if I got a place through RCI, I'd still have to get airfare.

It seems that these days I can get a week at an all inclusive resort for the same price as just the airfare alone.

So is RCI the deal it used to be?

381 replies to this topic
New Milford...
1 post
11. Re: Is RCI worth it?

I am on a point system with RCI love it. We got 72,000 points from are resort. When we bought I talked them down on the price and I talked them in to giving me an extra 20,000 points. With 92,000 points I can take all kinds of vacations. I went to st. thomas in march for 9,000 points for a week lol. went on a ski vacation for 9,000 points, we booked in st martin for 10 days for 40,000 points we are going to big sky for 42,000 points and we get another 72,000 points in a month we used some of are points form next year no big deal wait for a last call vacation for just after new years and go to any island in the usvi mexico or fl for 9000 points best part its 5 more years tell the time share is payed off and the all I have to do is pay 900 dollar maint fee for a year we love RCI. Probably will go over seas next year. Make sure you know we had to put down 2000 bucks for this up front and pay 300 a month tell we got this thing payed for in 5 years.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
174 reviews
12. Re: Is RCI worth it?

j0rdan32 glad you like RCI and are making use of it. But you could have purchased all those points on Ebay for $1 instead of the $20000 which I think you will end up paying. Just don't understand why people keep paying these ridiculous high prices for something that once you own it is worth nothing.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
36 reviews
13. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Saltydog I'm not sure why you feel it is necessary to berate everyone who comes on the TS Forum who paid retail prices from the developer. They pay because they do not know any better at the time, caught up in the sales pitch of "value".

Frankly, when you do the math, there IS value to buying timeshares. It may not be the BEST value out there that is possible through resale, but if you don't know about resale or you attend a sales presentation not planning to buy (and therefore not doing advance research) it is pretty easy to see how it happens to even the smartest of individuals.

So please, stop hammering away on these people. The good news is new timeshare resorts are built because SOMEONE is buying them at full retail. If it weren't for that, we would not have new, nicer timeshares to rent or trade into.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
141 reviews
14. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Well said, Von !!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
174 reviews
15. Re: Is RCI worth it?

Hmmmm. Not berating anyone, and unless my math is wrong there are a lot more dissatisfied owners on these forums than satisfied owners. Just trying to help others from being duped by some slick salesperson to paying way more than these things are worth at a sales presentation. If you have a problem with that, please do not read any more of my posts. Thank you.

Edited: 8:00 pm, April 29, 2013
16. Re: Is RCI worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, May 01, 2013

Brighouse
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
17. Re: Is RCI worth it?

If you want to exchange try Dial An Exchange based in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Much better than RCI or Interval International and membership is FREE and world wide choice

Edited: 5:52 am, May 01, 2013
Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
18. Re: Is RCI worth it?

I've looked for a way to sell my time-share with RCI and have been unsuccessful. Please, tell me how you managed to sell yours. Thanks.

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
19. Re: Is RCI worth it?

How? How did you manage to dump them? I've tried and cannot find a way, other than dubious requests for money upfront to "advertise". Thanks.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
141 reviews
20. Re: Is RCI worth it?

agustino -- You probably will not find a way to "dump" your timeshare on RCI -- they don't "own" or "sell" timeshare units. They're simply a company that specializes in offering timeshare trades between resorts that are members of their trading network.... offering them to individual timeshare owners who buy memberships in their trading company. Owing a timeshare and being a member of RCI are two different things.... best analogy I can think of would be asking your insurance company to sell your used car for you.... Buying, selling or brokering sales of timeshare units is just not something RCI does... or wants to do... so far as I know. If you're trying to "dump" RCI as your trading company, simply don't pay the dues when it's time to renew your membership. If you want to "dump" your timeshare unit, you'll need to find another way (some resorts have re-sale programs, other do not -- might check with them if you haven't asked already).... But be aware that, because of the economy over the past several years, there are probably hundreds of folks trying to sell their timeshare for every one person looking to buy...

Reply to: Is RCI worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted