We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

I attended a Shell Vacation Club presentation recently in Hawaii and was rather overwhelmed.

I would like some clarification on SVC points and the exchange business. The salesperson made it seem like the 7000 (?) points could be exchanged and used for 3-4 weeks through II.

Do Shell points double or triple in value in an exchange? If so, why are there so many resale points for practically pennies?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

Hopefully you did not buy ANYthing from them. If you did, rescind and spend some time learning the system. Bottom line is whatever they told you will not be the reality you'll experience as an owner.

If you haven't already, go over to Timeshare Users Group (www.tug2.net) and learn first hand from actual timeshare owners. There are people there who own every major brand of timeshare, including Shell.

Hawaii is generally the worst place to own because the maintenance fees are outrageously expensive.

Your final question is the one you really need to ponder . . . "Why are there so many resales points for practically pennies?" That should be your first sign to NOT BUY from Shell or any other TS developer/company.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

Hi TimeshareVon--thanks for the speedy response. I've been bouncing around various sites and have found all sorts of responses, many of which conflict each other. And then there you are, TimeshareVon, seemingly in conflct with the whole TS concept??? I'm probably going to join tug2.net as many people have recommended it. Thanks again.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

I'm not in conflict with the TS concept, sorry if you got that impression from me.

I've been a VERY happy TS owner for over 30 years. I bought my first from a developer around 1981 (a "right to use" contract). That contract expired in 2002, which created the need for me to do some research to find something to replace it when it expired, as I really did use and enjoy that first TS ownership experience.

Since that time, I've bought or acquired four others via resale or just a "deed over" to me (no money changed hands) . . . and two of those I have deeded away (again, no money changing hands). So currently I happily own and very successfully use the two TS that I have.

The secret for me has been:

1. Buy/acquire inexpensively (do not buy from the developer).

2. Be sure the MF's justify the ownership - many places you could obtain for free are still no bargain when you consider you could rent weeks there for less than the annual MF.

3. If using an exchange network (RCI, II, DAE, etc) be sure you know what the value is of what you own. If/when that value decreases beyond what you feel you could otherwise w/o owning, dump it.

4. Keeping informed on what's happening in TS and making decisions as necessary when things change to my detriment.

One example . . . I bought a 3BR lock-off unit in Williamsburg back in 2001 from a resale broker there in Wmsburg. I bought there because I had family living in Wmsburg so I planned on using at least 1 side of the LO every year or two. The other side I would use for exchanging through RCI.

With that week's exchange, often the 1BR side, I got great "internal preference" (Wyndham to Wyndham) . . . with MANY trades into 2BR units in Hawaii. So essentially, for a fraction of my MF's (which were under $600 for both sides/units) I was getting two weeks of vacation . . . one in Wmsburg and another in Hawaii. Not bad, don't you think?

However, when the MF's started to escalate AND RCI changed their exchange model from "week for week" to the "TPU" assessed points, my ability to make the most of this ownership was significantly and adversely affected. So I gave this TS away . . . for free . . . to someone on TUG.

My other week that I gave away (actually deeded it back to the HOA/POA) in 2011 was another Wyndham week which I acquired in 2004 for free from someone who wasn't using it any more. We enjoyed using that TS in Flagstaff for a couple of the years of ownership, and again used it to exchange into Hawaii for what ended up being a real bargain (MF's were around $500 at the time).

Now I only own two TS's . . . one very small points contract with Wyndham that my sister gave to me (no money paid) . . . and another resale purchase on Waikiki which is a fantastic value. My MF's on the Waikiki TS are under $400 and the number of exchange value points (TPU) is significant . . . enough for at least two vacations a year . . . and with low value TPU exchanges available (i.e, Orlando, Vegas, Williamsburg), I could get as many as four or five a year!

Hopefully this will help you better understand some of the complexity of TS ownership . . . but more importantly show just how happy I am as an owner and user of what I do own. None of this would have been financially workable, however, had I bought any of these from the developer at full retail price.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

I do not think 7000 points will do much for Hawaii, where which island? When. Not including weekends etc. that really inst a lot of points

I am not a big believer in the points.

We have been trading our Timshare for 18 years. I love Aui and Kauai. Marriott units

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

Maui and KauI units trade for more then 7000 points for a week. Maybe that amount of points will be for 3 days Monday-Wednesday. Perhaps that amount of points will get you a trade in the U S.

That is why I am not a big point person.

Good luck to you

6. Re: Shell Vacation Club and exchanging points

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:46 pm, July 09, 2013