We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Vacations Club

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Shell Vacations Club

Does anyone have any good or bad experience with Shell?

I purchased Shell Vacation Club points 2 years ago in Hawaii and although I haven't had any really bad experiences with Shell, I am not happy with what I was told by the salesman during my purchase.. I immediately objected to the purchase when I saw the 18% interest rate on the financing!! However, the salesman told me that most buyers just get it refinanced with their bank at a much lower rate when they get back home.

Also, they tried to sell me my 7K points for 52K and I said no way. So then they played the "used car salesman game" and brought in the Mgr. who said I have a repo that I have to get off the books today that I can let go for 25K.. Since I had been offered this exact same package twice before for the 52K price and refused to buy into it, I felt that was not a bad deal at 25K and lifetime points with Hawaii being my home club..

However, when I returned home and tried to get this refinanced, NO ONE would touch it.. So unless I allowed an auto debit from my bank account, I would be stuck with the 18% interest rate on the loan!! If you allow the auto debit the interest drops to 14%, not much of a savings but better than 18%.. Ok so now I am angry about them lying to me on the refi options!!

I have to admit that Shell has given me a LOT of free stays in Hawaii and Mexico, plus hundreds of dollars in free activities while I am in Hawaii or Mexico. Can't complain about that part. Then I went to Scottsdale, AZ a few weeks ago and the salesman there told me that the regular price for the Hawaii Club's 7K point package was 27K and not the 52K that I was told on the first 2 times Shell tried to sell that package to me!!

OK, so now I am over it with Shell, they are all a bunch of liars and do not EVER purchase points from them!! So I thought maybe I'd just try to sell my points and was contacted by a "timeshare reseller" who also was a liar and has robbed me of $300 and refused to cancel or return my funds or phone calls.. People please, just stay away from all of these timeshare sharks!! They are all liars and you will have buyers remorse..

89 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shell Vacations Club

I own a floating 1-52 wk in Hawaii (which I bought via resale for pennies on the dollar) and was given a small points contract (paid zero) with Wyndham. I will never buy from the developer . . . weeks, points, RTU, whatever. Sure Wyndham would like to have me buy more but what I have does just fine and I don't need more points, more flexibility nor VIP anything.

Points in and of themselves, are not the issue so to say "never buy points" seems like pointless advice.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shell Vacations Club

So did you sell, cancel or otherwise get rid of your membership? We're in the same boat....

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shell Vacations Club

No I didn't sell, you can't cancel, all you can do is refuse to pay and let them forclose on you, then it shows up as a reposession on your credit and screws you for the next 7 years.. I had a second "reseller" contact me and he tried to rip me off for $800 and I just told him what I thought in the most expletive way possible!! So basically I'm stuck with it until it is either paid off, or paid down low enough to put it on eBay and get rid of it..

The ONLY good thing I can say about it is that Shell does send me a lot of free trip offers which allows me to roll over my points so I can use them towards Amex hotel cards, a cruise, plane tickets, etc..

Sorry you're having the same problem.. Just try to make the best of a bad situation.. Good luck..

Anchorage
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shell Vacations Club

Ours is paid off. Have you seen folks sell memberships on eBay? I'm also wondering how Shell contacts you @ "Free Trip Offers." We've never received any.... Thanks!

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Shell Vacations Club

@SkidAnchorage - Yes, you can go to eBay and find a LOT of Shell memberships for sale very cheap too!! The annual "maintenance" fee is what really ticks me off even more than the cost of the points.. My Hawaii Club annual fee is nearly $1600.. You can get almost any good hotel in Hawaii for a week for $1600 so honestly, there is zero value in my opinion..

As for how Shell contacts me for free trips, they mail me "special offers" all the time for 3 free nights in Vegas or Napa Valley or San Diego, etc.. Also they have given me 5 free nights in Hawaii or Puerto Vallarta, MX several times and I do usually take them and not use my points. Then I just bank my points to the next year and use whatever I have to "use or lose" I'll end up using my points for places like London, Paris, Rome, etc.. via the Exchange..

I have no idea why you don't get the free trip offers, maybe you should contact Shell and ask them!! Could be the number of points you own or how long you have owned them.. I have 7000 points annually from the Hawaii Clubs and just got sucked in back in 2010.. They want members to buy up to 15K annual points to become Elite Members. Since I am nearly half way there, I'm sure that's why they keep giving me free trips so I have to go to a meeting and they hope they can convince me to buy another 8K points.. Never gonna happen though..

Murphy, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shell Vacations Club

@Stephen - Thanks for that web link but Shell is an American Owned company, not Mexican. And unlike the Mexican Timeshares which are a major scam, Shell is Deeded and titled from Chicago Title, and it is considered a Mortgage so I do get a tax statement that allows me to deduct the interest on my loan.. I know that's not saying a lot but at least Shell isn't a scam, you don't have any problems booking or exchanging, and it isn't a "lease", you do own it forever and it can be willed over to whomever you want to will it too..

Long Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Shell Vacations Club

Don't buy it! Once you are done paying an arm and a leg for the points the dues add up to just as much as saving your money and renting a hotel. Shell Vacations is terrible waist of time and money!

Also good luck selling it apparently no one wants it, you can find points from people giving it away for free just to get out from under the HOA dues. : (

west covina ca
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Shell Vacations Club

@texblond2, just curious about your maintenence fee, ours was quoted at about 600 a year, we just got quoted last night. I know it has to go up with inflation and new amenties and resorts added but Does that jump to 1600 per year? Is everyone at your level paying the same amount? and is that the only additional fee you pay? Im trying to understand how yours is so much higher than ours. We have only 3500 miles per year, were giving 20000 bonus points, supposed to be enough for a flight and 10 night stay with food accomodations to bora bora, which was our closing factor. Plus got a 3 day 2 night flight and stay in hawaii! Our package was about 17500.

Canby, Oregon
Level Contributor
677 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Shell Vacations Club

They are hard to sell. From a purely economic standpoint they don't make sense, so if you do get one you have to hope you were talked into it by a reputable (by timeshare standards) company. I was just working at a trade show in my industry and there were 3 interesting booths there, not connected to our industry. First was Wyndam (sp), Upfront about what they were doing, a company from Vegas, luring passers by in by posing a school fundraiser, and a third booth dedicated to getting you out of your timeshare.

We bought Shell several years ago in Hawaii, and like everyone else felt we paid too much for too little. Not enough points to get a yearly rental. Just recently however an acquaintance gave us 3500 points for nothing. My main concern in accepting the points was how it affected maintenance fees. By combining the points-which you can when both are in HI-our annual maintenance fees were reduced about 1/3 per point. While we are paying more in total, we will greatly increase our ability to use them and at a cost substantially under what a fair market condo rental is in HI.

Save Reply
20. Re: Shell Vacations Club

Yup liars theifs. Class Action Lawsuit! So Let's Do It Owners and Members

Reply to: Shell Vacations Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted