We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

Just returned from a holiday in the Lakes District. Was lovely, except for the treatment we got with Cumbrian Cottages.

The "deluxe" Bowering apartment we rented for the week wasnt up to its "5-star" billing. It was visually very pretty - designer everything inside - but very impractical and uncomfortable. For example, even a short person could not stand up in the bath to shower because the raked ceiling was so low. The cupboards smelled awful. The absolute minimum by way of simple things like toilet paper & garbage bags. The internet service didnt work - couldnt connect to the wifi access point because the signal was so weak (the wifi access point was in another apartment somewhere in the building). We were left with rubbish piling up in the kitchen because no key was provided for the rubbish storage shed...

The fancy cordless phone didnt have any batteries.

The television in the lounge was about 4-5 ft off the ground so anyone watching TV or a film would get a sore neck.

While we were a bit disappointed with the place, unfortunately, the worst was saved till last. When we checked out, we received a complaint from them that we had left the place in a "terrible state". When pressed for details (because the place was very clean when we left) the windermere office stated that the cleaners had to stay an extra 1.5 hours washing up dishes in the sink (there were 5-6 dishes and 2 pots - all of which had been rinsed and were almost clean anyway). They also complained that a towel had been taken (we took no towel - and nor would anyone since they were pretty poor quality) and that a towel had been damaged. Both of these are either complete fabrications or a mix-up with one of the other properties the cleaners were cleaning in the building.

The other complaint was that a number of pillows had been moved from one bedroom to another... (no, Im not making that up).

So, in the end, we were charged for the "extra cleaning", and the cost to replace the 2 "missing/damaged" towels.

In summary, we found the apartment to be poor value for money and the staff at windermere office to be unpleasant and the whole experience left a sour taste at the end of what was a nice trip.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

We had problems with them too, in September 2011. We stayed in a three star cottage in Grasmere. We encountered the following problems: (1) hall light working intermittently, (2) light at stairs not working, (3) plug mechanism in bathroom sink not working, (4) bath plug detached from chain, (5) no instructions for the gas boiler, (6) kettle lead loose, (7) kitchen tap stiff and (8) mattress on double bed in poor condition.

We reported (1) to (6) the next day. The maintenance team attended the day after and resolved items (1), (2) and (4). They also turned over the mattress. They said they would return to deal with (3) but did not do so.

When returning the key to the Windermere office we asked to speak to the manager. Her starting point was that the property was rated three stars so our expectations were unrealistic. Bizarrely, she also claimed that the property was 'at the lower end of the scale'. I pointed out the the brochure did not subdivide the scale so such a distinction was spurious. I suggested that compensation of £100 would be appropriate, which she dismissed as 'ludicrous'.

I sent a complaint to the head office, pointing out that the argument that the defects could be justified by the three star rating was ludicrous, that all services and amenities should have been in proper working order and the property should have been checked before the start of the let. We received an apology and £50 compensation.

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

Yes us too. Please beware Cumbrian cottages, Northumbrian Cottages and Regional cottages are all managed by the same people.

We had a bad experience with them in Northumberland. I phoned them and emailed them details and photographs through whilst I was there about the disgusting state of the property in terms of general lack of cleanliness, old damaged furniture etc. But they washed their hands of it and told me to contact the manager of the property direct. Although I paid Northumbrian properties and booked with them they didn't want to know. This filthy property is still advertised with them and the property is still described as 'beautiful' (which it isn't) and the photographs on the site must be years old.

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

Yes us too. Please beware Cumbrian cottages, Northumbrian Cottages and Regional cottages are all managed by the same people.

We had a bad experience with them in Northumberland. I phoned them and emailed them details and photographs through whilst I was there about the disgusting state of the property in terms of general lack of cleanliness, old damaged furniture etc. But they washed their hands of it and told me to contact the manager of the property direct. Although I paid Northumbrian properties and booked with them they didn't want to know. This filthy property is still advertised with them and the property is still described as 'beautiful' (which it isn't) and the photographs on the site must be years old.

4. Re: Cumbrian Cottages - anyone else have bad experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 10, 2014