We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

owners direct

sheffield
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
owners direct

has anyone had negative experiences when using this site for booking villas in mallorca?

surrey
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: owners direct

Yes - look at my forum post for further details!

southampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: owners direct

do not book with owners direct. It is a total scam, they have advertisers who do not own properties and just take your money and offer you nothing

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: owners direct

Sorry to hear about the 'scam' with Owners Direct. I believe you were most unlucky.

I am an owner and have advertised with Owners Direct on recommendations from other owners in order to rent out our apartments in Paphos Cyprus. On a personal note, I have had little response to my advert, just one, but my friends have managed several lets.

Ballarat
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: owners direct

It's sad that Shadigc has obviously had a bad experience. We cannot inform you about Mallorca but we are able to tell you of our experience.We have just spent 6 months travelling from Turkey to Ireland and have used Owners Direct on multiple occassions including Annecy, Florence, London, Bath, Cotswolds, Dublin and Budapest. We found dealing with the owners(mostly) was an easy and pleasant experience. All the apartments we booked were as described, the owners were always there to meet us, you did not have agents fees and the security deposit was often much less than those booked through agencies.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: owners direct

I agree completely with the negative comments about Owners direct - they are a shocking bunch of crooks who do not screen their properties and alllow people to post complete fantasy properties - and then if you try to claim their recompense fund - they refuse to deal with you or let you have their forms to claim. They are sharks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: owners direct

Before yelling scams take a moment to reflect on what is offered here. There are a plethora of advertising sites which charge a fee to promote a property on behalf of an owner. Most of these types of site do not offer anything more than what you see. Fees can be paid by the owner and / or the would be renter. There is no fixed model.

Instead of yelling scam take a look at oneself and ask the question Did I do the proper homework to ensure that I was getting what I wanted or was I gullible enough to be taken by a flashy internet site and send money to people I dont know and have no idea of their bonefides? If it was the latter then who is fooling who?

There are hundreds of advertising sites on the web designed to attract overseas visitors to particular holiday destinations. In days gone by people used Real Estate or Travel Agents to arrange the accomodation, but today noone wants to pay for services rendered and will risk everything to save a few bucks.

There is an old adage that a fool and his money is soon parted.

There are numerous posts here on TA advising the unwary of pitfalls when booking over the internet. This is now another, if only some people would read them.

pdcAR
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: owners direct

Owners direct claim nowhere to represent or guarantee individual owners as being vetted....but there is a compensation scheme available IF you are sensible follow the rules and do not pay by direct transfer etc.

It does of course cost though.

Is this really any different to booking a commercial hotel / holiday / property only to find the company then goes bankrupt.

You can and should do your own research, check reviews or even TA for anything untoward etc. etc.

Scammers seldom set out on this sort of site as it is generally long term, requires substantial investment for the ad and most importantly......

if you look at the bottom of each listing it shows exactly how long the property has been advertised and the lower the number per region the more established the advertiser.

New advert, thorough research and referencing, pay by credit card, protection is out there.

Not too kind on new owners but they should put sureties there in their own right also.

The alternative of course is to jump straight in, ignore any advice and revert to shouting 'scam' when it goes belly up.

8. Re: owners direct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 28, 2012
9. Re: owners direct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:03 am, October 10, 2012
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: owners direct

renters voice what action have you taken to get a feedback / review section on the Owners Direct website