We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Hemlock, MI
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

I am starting this topic for people who have enrolled in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program and have experience using it. There is plenty of negative feedback regarding the program based on the sales presentation only. Absolutely no feedback from people who have used it.

449 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
251. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Sorry legacy owners, but Marriott no longer owns or has any control over Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI), other than whatever contract it signed with the new company. Complaints will have no impact om Marriott and this blog has a very limited audience of legacy owners that feel betrayed. Marriott was losing $$$ on its timeshare investment and elected to divest its ownership. The new destinations trust will not build new resorts and is selling points without deeds of trust. It is increasing demand with no increase in supply -- that is a ponsi scheme. It is now very difficult to exchange for a Marriott resort at Interval International. Fortunately, I can stay at the two resorts that I own. I feel sorry for owners at resorts that are reached by expensive airfare.

I will start another TA message "Marriott Vacation Club"; maybe that will get some more current discussion that may impact MCVI's sales strategy.

1 post
Save Reply
252. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

We have had the Marriott timeshare vacation club for 7 years now. We are members with Interval as well. My husband and I wish we never bought it! If we could turn back time!! It's all a scam! You deposit your Marriott week with interval. Interval holds it for a certain amount of time because they do expire. For the membership for interval u have to renew and pay either for 1, 3 or 5 yrs. it can run $99 and up. Then when you do find a place you want to visit (exchange your week for) it's not always available. If you do find a place u want to go and it is available, when u go to book it you have to pay another fee. I just got off the phone with the Marriott desk at interval and the exchange is up to $179 even for domestic. It went up from when we first joined 7 years ago. So on top of paying for you timeshare mortgage and your yearly maintenance fees, u have other fees for the club, exchange etc etc... And that's if where you want to vacation is available because if you ask me, there's a 95% chance it's not!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
253. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

I just looked up Marriott Vacation Club International. It is publicly traded under the symbol "VAC". 125k of the 421k owners have opted for the destination points program. In 2011 VAC had net losses of $178k, but in 2012 it earned $16k and its stock price doubled. It earns money by selling points, resort management fees, property rentals, and loans. If you want to complain, Stephen Weisz is the CEO and he significantly increased his income under the new corporation.

Legacy owners have to worry about more than how bad the points program is. VAC's profit margin on resort management fees and services increased from 13.9% (2010), to 17.1% (2011) to 21.4% (2012). If you want to see how you are paying for VAC's prosperity, go look up its SEC 10K report. That report lists information on the contract that Marriott has with VAC. If latter violates that contract, Marriott can cancel the contract and owners lose access to Marriott points program and name. One way VAC can violate is to impair resorts, so it will try to increase maintenance fees. You vote on your local board. Make sure MVCI employees do not control the board or some of your maintenance fee can go toward Mr. Weisz's massive compensation. There have also been legacy owner law suits.

Hackensack, New...
1 post
Save Reply
254. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

I agree. We converted our week for the points system and purchased additional points last November. The sales man Joey Martin painted a great picture that at our level, inventory would not be a problem. So far to date all we have been getting is excuses and can not get a reservation in Florida. Joey won't answer the phone because he does not handle after sales support. Not happy with the new point system system at all.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
255. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Jamie, you have to understand and work the system. If you own a Marriott timeshare and do not belong to the destination exchange program, you are better off staying at your resort or making an interval exchange decision 6-9 months in advance. Before, MVCI placed units on Interval for exchange. Now legacy owners are the primary source of Interval deposits. It is very difficult to do a Marriott to Marriott exchange a few months in advance because the special relationship MVCI had with Interval appears to have expired. I don't think I can exchange for Marriott Hawaiian units anymore.

Unfortunately, we own 7 timeshares; but we can exchange a cheap maintenance resort for a Marriott unit if I do that exchange well in advance. I just traded a low quality Cancun unit for 2 bdrm Marriott Shadow Ridge in October. Not many people have the luxury to plan that far in advance, but if you want a quality resort you have to plan in advance. Interval is far better than RCI, except in Europe. If you exchange, you have to deal with the increased cost.

Edited: 12:49 pm, March 07, 2013
Ottoville, OH
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
256. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

We are cancelling our Destinations points purchase today (we purchased 8 days ago) while in Hilton Head. We own Grande Vista and have been happy with our exchanges through Interval in the past. After having the opportunity to see what my points actually get me and seeing there is no availability anywhere I have sampled using points, we feel we have made a mistake spending any additional money through Marriott. I don't believe their pitch about having more availability using points. I have traded into Hawaii twice in the past ten years exchanging weeks. There is no way I will save enough points to get into Hawaii on the new system. They are great at marketing and sales and they certainly are doing what they need to stay alive in the timeshare business, but we refuse to be taken advantage of now!

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
257. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

I tend to agree with you I'm afraid. Whilst on holiday at Canyon Villas (one of the Marriott timeshares we own) we did the same thing as you. We should have stayed with Interval, after we have used the 'points' we deposited with Marriott we will now deposit with Interval as we did before or exchange for Marriott points which come in useful for hotels on the odd day before a flight or at the end of a holiday.

PHP
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
258. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

keep in mind that Marriott Vacation points are COMPLETELY different than "Marriott Rewards Points" which can be used for plane tickets and hotel stays, etc.

Edited: 5:24 pm, March 21, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
259. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Thank you for responding to me. As we are new to the points system and completely unaware of any benefits could you explain what you mean. You can use Marriott Reward points for hotel stays (and are you saying plane tickets also ?) whereas Marriott Vacation points can only be used to stay in Marriott vacation resorts and nothing else ?? Is that correct ?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
260. Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

You have a Marriott travel advisor. Call them to have your questions answered.

Reply to: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted