We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

richmond va
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

I own a 2bd lock-out in Ft Lauderdale, never stayed there. Always bank my week to exchange to other destinations. Have had difficulty trying to get popular resorts for the times that I want to travel and have had to settle for other resorts. That being said.

I was contacted by RCI and they want me to change from a week system to a point system. The sales pitch was very convincing., giving my all of the advantages of doing this and in fact was told that by having the point system, I would be able to get the popular resorts for the times I would like to travel with no problem. She also stated the maintenance fees and the exchange fee are less on the point system.

If anyone has exchanged their weeks for the point system, have you found out this is better than the previous week system?

I don't want to do anything that will not benefit me?

Thanks for any input.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
843 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

I don't own RCI points so I can't personally help you, but you can learn alot about RCI weeks vs points at Timeshare Users Group BBS, http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/

richmond va
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Thank You !!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Used to be an RCI Weeks owner, but converted to RCI Points several years ago -- soon after the program became available at my home resort.

Can't say that being a Points member has made it "easier" to get trades into specific resorts....may be a bit of salesmanship going on there.....but can say it has expanded the number of resorts available to us and given us greater flexibility in our timeshare trades and travels.

Unless they've changed the program recently, RCI Weeks members are only allowed to trade-into other RCI Weeks resorts, whereas RCI Points owners can trade-into either Points or Weeks resorts....and numerous properties have become "Points only" -- meaning they're not available to Weeks members.

We also like the fact that Points allows us to use less-than-full-weeks if we want to.... One quick example: we visited the Orlando area on a non-RCI promotional trip that included three-night/four-days at a non-RCI resort....a nice deal by itself. But then, we book an additional three nights at a nearby RCI resort, allowing us a week in Orlando without using a full week's worth of RCI trading power. The Points system also seems to allow us greater flexibility on the size of unit we use -- because the size of the unit you get is tied to the number of Points you have available and want to use, not directly to the size of the unit you own.

After several original years of Weeks ownership, and now several years as Points owners, we definitely prefer the Points program.

But, as the weight-control ads on television point out, "Your actual experience may vary" from ours. Do you know anyone else at your home resort who has converted? Maybe they can offer some perspective as well...

Happy traveling whichever way you decide to go.....

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

I am a weeks timeshare owners. I considered changing to points and have had the Points Experts come around and explain the benefits of changing over but frankly I havent because in my view it was going to cost me more. I holiday mostly in NZ, Australia, Sth Pacific and Sth East Asia.

As a weeks owner I can exchange like for like irrespective of where my resorts are, but If I was to change to points I found that in order to exchange from at least one of my resorts I would have to purchase extra points to allow the exchange to go through. HIgh exchange value resorts have high points and lower exchange value resorts lesser points.

I currently have freehold titles at my resorts which are saleable and if I changed to points I would have the same obligations but lose the freehold titles.

Sorry not for me. I'll stick with weeks.

Edited: 3:20 pm, February 27, 2010
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Bean raises a good point... Not all resort purchase situations and all resort relationships with RCI are equal. Before I actually made the change, I'd make sure I felt comfortable that I understood 1) exactly what your current Weeks ownership gives you at both your home resort and in exchange situations, and B) what a conversion to Points will give you at your home resort that's different (good or bad) from what you have now, and B) what the exchange situation will be after a conversion.

Before we actually converted from Weeks to Points, I got the RCI rep/salesperson to tell me how many points our unit would be worth if we converted. Then I sat down with an RCI Points catalog and actually checked out how many points we'd need to visit some of our favorite destination. Luckily for us, our unit had enough RCI Points value to allow us to trade into a similar-sized unit in good times of year for the places we like to go best.

But I'd take Bean's advice to heart and so some "what if" investigations of specific trading opportunities for the quoted points value of your home unit if you make the conversion.

And remember the old adage -- "If it sounds too good to be true, investigate further." For us, conversion turned out to be worthwhile....may or may not be in your case.

richmond va
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Thank you so much for all of your help. It is a big decision and I will have to do some research before I committ to anything. I will call RCI and ask how many points my 2bd lock out is worth and start from there. I week is deeded and I have to make sure it stays that way and I don't have to buy anything.

So confusing !!!!!

7. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:34 am, May 16, 2010
Edited: 7:34 am, May 16, 2010
8. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:34 am, May 16, 2010
richmond va
Level Contributor
763 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Thank you very much for the information. However I have decided to keep what I have especially when it was going to cost to transfer. She did not tell me this until she called me back. I didn't want to have to buy any thing.

So I will continue to be weeks owner and be happy.

Again thanks to all of the responses.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RCI Weeks vs Points which is better?

Actually Bean is incorrect , You don't lose your free hold title if you are a weeks owner in NZ who converts to points,

We own 4 weeks timeshare, 3 are in points and 1 is not.

We own three at Taupo NZ and 1 at Pacific Palms NSW Australia.

You must commit for three years- but after three years if your experience was like ours you wouldn't want to leave points.

You still have freehold title of your week- RCI does not own your week- you have just signed it over for three years- on renewal you could go back to weeks if you wanted- we have been in points for neraly 3 3 yearly cycles now. My only regret is that I didn't convert to points right at its outset when they first introduced it , because in the first year ythey introduced it in NZ it was free and I procrastinated- when we decide to change it cost us a hefty joining fee.

You only join once and if you own multiple weeks they can be added to points later, no extra fee.

We have bought another 2 weeks at Taupo since joining as we could see the weeks value in points- but we keep 1 week out of points becuase we still like to holiday at this resort annually.

You can holiday at your home resort with the points system with No exchange fee etc as you would if it was not in points but we keep 1 week free for simplicity sakes- and this year we have actually deposited that week into weeks exchange at no extra charge- even though we are points members now.

I see NO disdavantages in being in points if your week has value.

Our weeks are highly sought after, have high value and we can get two- three weeks in exchange in places such as Asia and Mexico, for 1 of our weeks.

Our 3 weeks in timeshare points can buy us up 6-7 weeks in exchanges depending on where we are looking.