We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

I would be interested to hear from all who read this forum who have sat through a Grupo Mayan sales presentation. I have - twice. I also happen to be an owner.

I'm collecting snippets of information from all over the internet, along with those I've met while on vacations.

The intent here is to write a comprehensive guide for both owners and "potential" owners - read "potential" as you choose. This is not a "for profit" venture on my part. I like to write and also happen to think its a good idea.

So ... if you have personal first-hand knowledge of a Grupo Mayan sales presentation, please respond into the forum, or send me a personal message if you would prefer to have it remain anonymous.

Those whose stories of which I re-print snippets will be contacted for formal permission - again, no names, just Trip Advisor contact info shall suffice.

Cheers,

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

Just in case someone has missed this post ... BUMP.

I'd really like to hear from some people.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

Have you been on www.tug2.com? Or www.tugbbs.com

This is the best timeshare website out there. You can find lots of stories on the topic you are looking for.

I just went there to see what has been posted. I don't want to copy any post and that might be a violition of something.

tug2 is where you can read reviews and post reviews and rate resorts, sell weeks, rent weeks and trade weeks.

tugbbs is the forum where you will find most of the info.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

njw;

thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm aware of TUG and have been collecting information from there already.

I was just posting here as well.

Ft. Lewis, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

We are owners with GrupoMayan, and originally purchased in 1995.

We usually go to the "update" for owners tour to find out what's new, and to get the 15% discount on meals/drinks and the delicious free breakfast buffet etc. However, we have been to some presentations in the past couple of years with our kids, who are now older, that were ridiculous. The 90 minute presentation turned 4-5 hours, and insinuations that if we didn't upgrade or buy more weeks that "it must be because we cannot afford it" according to the rude sales person that we encountered at the Accapulco location. We wrote a letter of complaint to the president/ceo of at that time the "Vidafel" group and received a letter back stating that they would look into it.

It just isn't worth 4 hours of your precious vacation time!

On the other hand, the Service staff, restaurant and boutique employees are always very friendly and helpful. The facilities are always comfortable and clean, and usually a little bit off the beaten path, so they are more quiet and restful.

I. Holmn

Ft. Lewis, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

We are owners with GrupoMayan, and originally purchased in 1995.

We usually go to the "update" for owners tour to find out what's new, and to get the 15% discount on meals/drinks and the delicious free breakfast buffet etc. However, we have been to some presentations in the past couple of years with our kids, who are now older, that were ridiculous. The 90 minute presentation turned 4-5 hours, and insinuations that if we didn't upgrade or buy more weeks that "it must be because we cannot afford it" according to the rude sales person that we encountered at the Accapulco location. We wrote a letter of complaint to the president/ceo of at that time the "Vidafel" group and received a letter back stating that they would look into it.

It just isn't worth 4 hours of your precious vacation time!

On the other hand, the Service staff, restaurant and boutique employees are always very friendly and helpful. The facilities are always comfortable and clean, and usually a little bit off the beaten path, so they are more quiet and restful.

I. Holmn

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

Alouette;

thanks for providing your reply to my post.

I'm still listening to anyone else that might want to post.

You would not - then again you might - believe the number of similar posts in various Grupo Mayan location reviews on the length of presentations, plus the kind of treatment of "potential" clients by sales staff.

Kennewick, WA
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

We sat thru a presentation this last week in Puerto Vallarta. At the end when you say no and they take you into another room to collect your 300 hundred dollars (they end up only having pesos though)they offer you the rock bottom thru the developer. It's a "trial memebership". For 1500 dollars yoy belong to HSI and get so many weeks to stay there, trade, etc. Much better dela if you ask me. No maintainance fee except the 100 dollar a year HSI membership.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

78Helen;

the HSI deal sounds good, but look at the fine print.

I've seen nothing but negative reviews on the "HSI deal" they offer, and just try to use the weeks. There are so many restrictions. Search TripAdvisor, TUG and the internet for feedback on HSI.

9. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 pm, October 15, 2008
Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grupo Mayan Sales stories - anyone?

bunkerhill;

your post is not surprising, as my wife and I also originally fell for the sales pitch of rental income.

Though I did try the rental broker route, I would not advise it to anyone. It is a waste of money.

I could have written what you wrote, word for word, but thought better of it, thinking, "I bet some others are going to say the same."

Well, you have emphasized the opinion. Thanks for your input on the subject.