Our room was COLD and visibly DIRTY with trash, forgotten toys and dirt under the beds and in the corners. The floors were STICKY. One of the beds COLLAPSED when a person sat down on it. There was NO HOT WATER, even after running it for 3 minutes. And the heater did seem to make a difference in the room temperature either. Plus, the room SMELLED of stale cooking odors. In short, the room was gross. Based on this experience, I will not be booking any of the Choice/Quality Inn hotels any time in the future.
I have been staying in hotels for 20 years and this by far the worst experience I have ever had. The hotel management allowed a guy to live in the hotel. This guy was 2 doors from the room they put me in. This guy was bringing in homeless people. The night i stayed there he brought in a homeless woman. This homeless person went in my room and stole my work and personal phones about 900$ worth. The manager didn't bother looking at the cameras till the next day. My work was sending me a replacement phone so I had to stay there another night. It didn't get shipped in time and the hotel raised the prices on my room so I had to leave. I made another reservation the day after on Monday so I could be sure to be there when my replacement phone arrived. It ended up coming before I checked in. I called choice hotels to try and cancel. They were trying to contact the hotel and couldn't get anyone. I went to the hotel. The guy at the front desk talked to the manager who refused to cancel my reservation. The only reason I made the reservation was because I couldn't trust this hotel so I needed to be there to make sure imy phone didn't get lost. I did not want to stay here again. It's unsafe, there are homeless people everywhere. The manager did not care. He just sticks it to you eventhough they are at fault for allowing an unsafe environment. I used my points to stay somewhere safe and comfortable. They charged me for a hotel room I did not stay in after having my phones stolen and all the inconveniences of getting new phones. The most unprofessional hotel and the most awful customer service I have dealt with in my 20 years of traveling. The manager could care less about the well being of his customers.…
I've never had any high expectations of motels. A clean room where everything works and a friendly staff are all I ask. This motel failed on all three points. I came to Kent for a Dragon Boat race and several of my team members booked rooms in this motel. The price looked good, and free breakfast seemed like a plus. The problems began the moment we walked in. A small group was trying to check in to the several rooms they'd reserved, but one was a more expensive "pet friendly" room that they hadn't wanted. The clerk told them over and over that they'd have to take it up with the online company they'd booked through. In fact, "you'll have to take it up with the company you booked through" was the standard refrain for just about any problem, never once, "Sorry, we'll make that right." When we got to the desk, the clerk said there was a $100 refundable deposit on the room in addition to the room price, something that was never mentioned online. During our overnight stay, we discovered a whole flock of trivial things that could cost us the deposit, such as using a side door to exit instead of the front door, that one only learned from various signs here and there. The room itself was a typical small motel room with a TV, mini-fridge, and microwave -- but not so typical were all the chips in the bathroom porcelain, cracks in the walls, and sticky spots on the carpet whose origin I didn't even want to think about. The hot water tap in the sink didn't work, though at least the tub had hot water. A friend in another room had no hot water at all. When she called the front desk, they told her to turn on all the water in the room -- then all of her water was promptly cut off because, she was told when she called again, she was using too much water. "Newly remodeled" my foot! Another room had dirty sheets, and while they waited for clean ones to arrive they pulled off the dirty ones and found a crack pipe in the bed. All of us had terrible mattresses in our rooms that jiggled like Jell-O and squeaked with every movement. The breakfast room was closed the entire time, and a sign in the lobby said to ask for a to-go breakfast bag. We did that the next morning, and were handed a paper bag containing a bottle of water, a pre-wrapped sticky pastry of some sort, and pre-wrapped egg and sausage breakfast sandwich at room temperature despite the label that clearly said "keep frozen." How hard is it really to have a selection of cereals, milk, and fruit laid out, some bread and a toaster, some butter and jam, and juice? I don't know what kind of trouble this motel has had with guests in the past, but they seem to be taking it out on present guests. None of our party was able to get a receipt for our stay, and we have only their word that we'll get our deposit back someday. This motel needs a thorough remodeling and a change of management. Fit the side doors with locks that allow guests in and have an alarm if they're propped open. Put someone in charge of the breakfast room who can check guests off of a current list, and serve some decent food. Or knock the whole thing down and build more apartments, since this part of town seems to be Apartmentville.…
Choose another hotel! This is the first time we have felt it necessary to leave a review for a hotel we have stayed at. This hotel was overpriced, and should not have Quality associated with its name! Dirty rugs and stairs, ice machine is an ice chest at front counter that everyone digs into, we had ants on our nightstands and in bed, there was a used bar of soap left in the shower, cobwebs across the ceiling, and sketchy people hanging out in the parking lot and surrounding area. Definitely not a place you would book for your family!
This was the filthiest, ill maintained motel I have ever stayed at!! The foyer was filthy as were the guest chairs. The carpet in the room was disgusting and filthy. Dust everywhere, ants in the bathroom. Toilet seat was broken, bathtub had black mold in the corner. Lighting was terrible. Could hardly see to even read. No ice, was told to go to Circle K to get some. The room was prepaid so we were stuck. One of the rooms had no hot water in the shower. The bed was decent but I had the creepy crawlers all night because of all of the ants. Unbelievable!!
We paid extra to be able to cancel our room with a 24-hour notice. When we arrived, the room was filthy and smelled like urine. We told them we would stay one night only and to cancel the next night. The night clerk checked with the manager and said no problem. After a broken bed, and spider bite my husband checked out and asked for a receipt. They refused to give us a receipt and told us that they may or may not charge us. They charged us and then told the credit card company we stayed two night and had no claim. Since we had no receipt we had to pay. AVOID THEM!!
Booked this via bookings.com, I didn't read the reviews big mistake. Arrived at the property to be met by a very untidy parking area, a child's highchair dumped in the carpark and some sketchy looking people and others hanging out of windows smoking, we went to reception and hung around for about 10 minutes no one appeared the reception area was very unkepmt really not an inviting place. We decided we couldn't stay here so cancelled our booking. We didn't receive a refund the hotel decided they were keeping our money. Having read the previous reviews now I definitely wouldn't have booked it, take note people AVOID this place and don't expect any response from the hotel in your favour 🤬🤬🤬
Never never in your life step on this hotel, this will be the most worst experience in your life. Badbugs, blood on the walls and no money refund. Plus, they got a scheme to fraud people they keep giving a useless number where you can call for refund money. If I could I would like to give zero stars.
This hotel was filthy! The lobby and rooms were not only run down but just plain dirty. The staff was extremely rude, loud music playing next door made it impossible to sleep and they wouldn’t even let us switch rooms. We left. Don’t waste your money!
Let me start by saying I've traveled around the world and stayed at hundreds of hotels and this place hands down is the worst of them all. I had planned to stay 3 days and canceled one I saw the property and the manager Yong still had the nerve to charge my CC for the entire stay. AFTER we agreed to pay for 1 night to be fair and he still charged for the entire trip. The point being, this place is overcharged dump with a very dishonest staff. Don't waste your time, so many better options in the area.