I had been staying there on and off for two months. I had reservations and am both a veteran and a Wyndham Rewards member. I had an issue with a deposit not yet showing up in my account. I told them I would see they got paid. They asked me to move out. I offered to write them a check. The money was not yet showing up in my checking account. I offered to write them a check also. They are way over priced for a 2 star inn. Few amenities and very noisy. They allow smoking. And pets. So noise is often high. I will never stay there again. Not veteran friendly either.
Staff very friendly. Beds comfy. Bathroom not cleaned well. Carpet not vacuumed well for quite some time. Location in a good spot close to restaurants, shopping & gas. Quiet-did not hear guests in other rooms. Room came with microwave & fridge which was helpful.
The room was clean and staff was friendly. Breakfast was take out cold cereal and yogurt. The TV remote was subpar. You could not get to the guide to see what was on. The shower/tub did look moldy in the corners with sloppy tile work.
Internet pic was likely from 20 years ago when built. I live in Houston Texas and feed the homeless & felt this facility was one of the drug houses I have to be around when feeding. Would not have stayed but 1:00 am appox when arrived and too tired to look any further. Left as soon as I could.
One thing for sure, you can't go by the pictures in describing this pig sty. Made reservations to stay one night, pictures showed clean rooms, looked great, boy was I fooled. Arrived to check in after 3:00 p.m., should have took my clue from the smell when I walked in to register. Got our key and when I opened the door it smelled worse than a sweaty locker room. The smell of moldy carpet was overwhelming, and the bed sheets looked to be several days old. We immediately vacated the room and got our money back. This happens when a chain allows certain people to manage.
The toilet didn't flush right. The sink handle came off in your hand and the shower was not much more than a trickle. No clean towels or making of the bed. However, the room was clean. Breakfast was a disappointment. Would not stay here again.
Red substance on ceiling looked like blood. It definitely wasn’t paint. I complained to front desk and they wanted to move me to a smoking room but I’m allergic to smoke so I stayed put. I was gone the entire day the next day thinking maintenance would try to clean it off but no they just left it there. Would not surprise me if it’s still there. The toilet rocked and the shower facet would not quite dripping
Very disappointing, website said breakfast was included (and it was not) part of the reason for deciding to stay there. Room was not as nice as the photos, it needed lots of repairs. The toilet ran on and off all night (loud enough to wake us up). Tub needed jets cleaned, they had visible gunk in them. Minimal towels (were very small), tiny half sized pillows on the bed. It was a non-smoking room that smelled like smoke. On the positive side, it was convenient to locations we were visiting and the bed was comfortable.
Semi-clean on the surface but could have been cleaner. Room needed to be painted as things were removed from the wall and former paint color visible. Noisy and unruly patrons. Traveled alone and was concerned for my safety. Policy stated was the motel does not call 911. That is left to the patron!
This hotel has seen a lot of history without any updates. The wallpaper was peeling and one glance at the sofa/loveseat and I would not let anyone sit on it. It was filthy. The towels in the bathroom looked as though they had been washed 10,000 times. They did not have holes in them but that was the only good thing I could say. I was fearful to take off my shoes and walk across the carpet. Although they advertise they are taking extra precautions due to COVID-19, given the looks of the property, it made me wonder if that was true. The air-conditioner could not keep the room cool and the fan made a lot of noise. In some ways that was good to cover up the noise of the other guests. The staff was rude.