I stayed one night at Hanayado Baelz for business, and while I think the hotel ("Pension" actually) was a mostly good experience, there were unfortunately a few things that made it less than great.
First, the good.
1. Super polite and professional staff.
2. Clean rooms and grounds
3. The hotel has its own hot springs bath for guest use (until 10pm)
4. Choice of Japanese or Western style dinner and breakfast - both with excellent dishes and portions
5. Located out of the way from Kusatsu town.
And the not so good:
1. No Wi-Fi support for non-Softbank users
2. Not much in the way of room amenities
3. A little difficult to access for people with leg/walking problems
4. No English support
5. No AC - fans only
Guests should keep in mind this is a "pension" and not a hotel, so I can be lenient of my not-so-good list. I'd only recommend this hotel for those who can't find lodging anywhere else... More