- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
31 places sorted by traveler favorites
Showing results 1-30 of 31
What travelers are saying
- Great ferry go on it all the time nice and calm workers are very nice and a lot of space for bikes only thing I would be aware of is that a lot of bikers get on with there bikesWritten October 15, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Booked a last minute 2 night mini cruise to Amsterdam as a surprise for my other half. Having frequently sailed the Hull-Rotterdam route we know what to expect from an overnight ferry, this was our first time sailing from Newcastle with DFDS
We sailed on the princess seaways.
Check-in was quick and efficient, going through security is a breeze, if you’re over 30 and not wearing a tracksuit then you don’t get stopped and searched!
Best bit of advice is once on board head up to deck 6 and pay for a room upgrade.
The basic rooms are clean, comfortable, but extremely cramped. the commodore class rooms are spacious and come with steward service and a complimentary mini bar and also includes breakfast in the morning.
I’ve included pics of a double sea view cabin and a 3 person commodore cabin.
Next bit of advice, get off that boat as quick as you can when you’re in Amsterdam and get on the first bus into the city centre otherwise you won’t get there until 11.30!
The queue to get off the ship and through passport control is horrendous and things are made worse if you had a coach driver like ours who didn’t know where he was going, didn’t know how to de-mist the windscreen so had to stop along the way and he wouldn’t drive at a decent speed, we could have cycled quicker!
prepare for a 10-15 minute walk from the coach stop to the centre of the city, and allow yourself plenty time to catch the coach later on because if you miss it it’s 100 euros for a taxi. First coach departs Amsterdam about 3.15pm and the 2nd coach about 3.30pm.
Final tip, and rather obvious, if you pop into a bar for a smoke make sure you have NOTHING on you when you head back to the ship. The old woman at security has the nose of a blood hound and can smell weed off you from half a mile away, so be honest if security asks if you’ve been smoking, they’re not stupid and they know why the majority of tourists visit the city.
Anything that has been used for smoking cannabis will be taken off you and put straight in the bin. Bongs, grinders, lighters, papers, so get rid before you board the coach.
If you’re planning on bringing back some stoner gifts, make sure they are unused and wrapped up.Written November 5, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Although not huge, this is a reasonably sized and beautifully maintained park with plenty to see. I particularly enjoyed looking at the medieval herb garden which gave a lot of fascinating information on the medicinal uses of each plant.
There is a fantastic play park which our 2 year old loved and the cafe provided good service and a decent cup of coffee.Written July 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great place for a walk and seeing what is going on on the river beaware parking can be difficult as many prefer topark on the road as ylu nlw have to pay for parkingWritten November 24, 2022
- Excellent lunch to celebrate Platinum Jubilee really good sandwich and staff who really care and are very friendly. Loved the exhibition all about people who shaped Shields and a local artist Linda Kay has a great exhibition on the top floor all of local scenes with a really high quality. Strongly recommend a visit.Written June 3, 2022
- Just go there to visit and you will love it......a fantastic tribute of a statue to commemorate the fishermen past.........a lovely location and a well designed figure......Written May 12, 2022
- Really nice place to wander around the shops. Plenty to choose from and nice cafes to sit in or outside in the sun. We ate in Discovers twice and was not disappointed, tasty home baked goodies and friendly service.Written August 1, 2022
- Nice place, plenty of places to eat and drink, little bit of sand if you want to go on,walked along the sea to tynemouth. A good supply of fresh fish, if you want to buy.Written July 17, 2022
- 2 large marquee type areas, good mix of handcrafted foods.
Pity it is only annual, would certainly thrive if 2 or 3 or more times a year.Written March 15, 2017
- Called to pay deposit for Christmas order had a hot mulled wine my husband had a pint went again to collect said order had a lovely hot mulled wine and son had a pint. Lovely place to start or end your night out or afternoon shopping stop off at a weekendWritten January 2, 2020
- We lived in North Shields nearly 40 years ago. Despite moving a few miles away, we’re still regular visitors.
Back in the day, The Exchange was an upmarket (for Shields) bar & restaurant where we used to come for lunch. Theses days, it’s an arts and theatre centre with bar attached.
We visited recently to see a show one Thursday evening and were pleasantly surprised.
The bar layout is the same as ever and I’m pleased to say that so are the staff and clientele. The latter are both friendly, down to earth and living their best lives. The bar gets theatre customers but also plenty of locals as well.
The theatre space is well done (considering this is an historic building not originally designed for the purpose) . It’s clean and well run.
My only criticism is that, despite being here for many years, neither the theatre nor bar has the profile it deserves locally. That said, we were won over and can’t wait to go back.
Terrific neighbourhood arts and theatre centre.Written November 13, 2021
- The Beacon shopping centre really needs to be pulled down and started again from scratch. It is windy, dirty, shabby with very few good shops and strewn twith cigarette ends and chewing gum; frankly an embarrassment to North Shields and the local authority. Avoid at all costs.Written February 10, 2020
- We decided to take away our food tonight after a couple of beers the in the Spread. The atmosphere was friendly & relaxed in the pub. The food was amazing when we got home. Would definitely recommend both for food or just for a pint. It’s a must visit!Written April 24, 2021
- A lovely friendly welcome...the pub was spotless and the couple running it were really chatty .Great.Written October 11, 2021
- Nice treat for the children but it’s so cold sitting watching them play definitely need some heating on in cafe area !Written March 19, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about North Shields
North Shields Attractions Information
|Local Time||Saturday 7:09 AM|