Points of Interest & Landmarks
Popular things to do
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Day Trips
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- 4WD Tours
- Cultural Tours
- City Tours
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Mountain Bike Tours
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Ports of Call Tours
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Family Friendly
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Special Offers
Top Attractions in Unawatuna
What travelers are saying
- Nice walk from Unawatuna, uneven and rocky at times, so go by tuk-tuk the long way around if you have mobility challenges.
Very peaceful as we were there early morning, had the place almost to ourselves.
Please do show respect, shoes off, a decent top on etc.Written April 6, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Nice beach, but not much shelter from hot sun...did see a turtle though which was quite an experienceWritten February 17, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Actually two beaches. The main larger Jungle beach is accessed by a steep in part, stepped in other parts, quite uneven rocky ground from the car park of the same name on the Rumasalla road. A good stretch of curving sandy beach with one beach bar with a few sunbeds. Busy on National Day with locals but quite quiet another. A very pretty cove with stunning water colour, good swimming with no waves. Around the coast, 200 metres of large rocks to clamber over is the smaller beach. Still very picturesque, just smaller. This can also be accessed from the car park on google maps next to the Peace Pagoda and has a less steep walk to it that the larger jungle beach.Written February 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A Sandy beach lined with comfy beach shacks which serve food and drinks and also have accommodation . If you like to stay amongst people then choose a place to stay right here.
There are night parties on the beach too.
If you are a couple who prefers to have some personal space , chose a hotel a little away from unawatuna and visit this place for meals and shopping .
I found the best price for picking up souvenirs in the shops around Unawatuna beach .
You can visit during the day or at night and enjoy a meal with a beautiful view and the sound of the waves .
Can also take a dip in the ocean here .
Since we visited post lock down the crowd wasn’t much but This seems to be the happening place to be during the peak.Written December 16, 2021
- Went to the pagoda around 8 am.. there was a road where you could drive to the top - but no one knew the road so had to park the car and walk up.. great scenery of unawatuna bay for sure...!
if you drive to the bottom of the hill, it can be a 15 minute return walk..! yes as quick as that...!Written January 5, 2020
- We were allowed to spend a wonderful cooking class with dear Susanthi. She picked us up from the hotel at 2pm and gave us a warm welcome. Then we went to the vegetable and fish market where she calmly showed and explained everything to us. Arriving at her home, we cooked 5 curries and a salad and we were even allowed to choose our own and cook with her. It was a lot of fun because she shows and explains everything with a lot of love and patience. The food was just awesome, we have not eaten so well anywhere else in Sri Lanka. It was definitely a highlight of our trip.
Thank you very much dear Susanthi, keep it up!Written June 6, 2022
- Best organized tour! Lisly was our driver and he is such a good guy! Everything was perfect and he fulfilled our wants and needs. He is very punctually and a very good driver on the crazy Sri Lanka roads. We went hiking, saw temples, elephants, had some amazing local food and sooooo much more you next time in Sri Lanka 😊Written August 4, 2022
- Brilliant surfing experience. There were two of us and we had private tuition each. Picked up and dropped off at our hotel. Ran by lovely people, definitely would recommendWritten June 26, 2022
- We are two certified divers who were diving with Shoy and his team for 5 days in unawatuna. We can really recommend the shop for certified divers since the atmosphere is always friendly, welcoming and fun, and our divemaster, Prabath, was a very professional and competent divemaster. Thank you so much for a great time! :-)Written April 11, 2022
- We traveled with Chamara for five days through the center of Sri Lanka, visited many beautiful places. He's a great guide, friendly and helpful. Cost is very reasonable.Written June 2, 2022
- The best food in Unawatuna.
We came here each day when we stayed in Unawatuna. Always great service, and the food was always exceptional. Great flavours and such good value for money. We had the traditional Sri Lanka curry, which we were able to try 4 different types and the rotis. The drinks were also very cheap. We couldn’t recommend this place more.Written January 20, 2022
- we request transfer to airport from hikkaduwa for 4 persons. it was comfortable miniven. our journey took 2 hours. and they took us the best price!!! only 40 dollars and 2000 rs. another took minimum 50 dollars. a lot of thanks danutours!!Written May 22, 2022
- Very precise, attentive and nice crew. If you dive here, just go there and enjoy nice dive sites and being safe!Best experience ever regarding dive centers. People are professional, friendly and well prepared. They check your skills and the equipments continuously, even when you are not aware. Choose them if you go to Unawatuna! You will feel safe and amazed by the sites they show you!Written May 3, 2022
- Did open water course with Melanie in Sri Lanka. Initially very apprehensive as I am somewhat claustrophobic.
Melanie instantly made me feel at ease. She has the perfect blend of humour, personability and professionalism instantly switching from joking to serious as soon as matters of security are concerned.
That is precisely what makes Melanie a great instructor. In addition to taking the time to explain the Scuba basics — with a fair amount of passion — Melanie keeps safety first and foremost.
In doing so, she allows her students to build trust and confidence, such that I always felt safe no matter what might happen. By my last dive I felt totally at home underwater!
10/10 would highly recommend.
JacquesWritten January 15, 2020
- Amazing experience at the surf club. The 3 of us visited the wrong beach initially but they sent us a tuktuk to bring us to the right place which we were very grateful for! They provided rash vests and super water-resistant suncream! We had two teachers for the 3 of us and they were so helpful and we actually learnt how to surf within an hour! They were great fun and it was one of the best parts of our trip. Strong recommendation for this company. Reasonable price too. Thank you!!Written February 14, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Unawatuna
- The best outdoor activities in Unawatuna according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Unawatuna on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Unawatuna according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Udawalawe Safari Day Trip from Hikkaduwa/Galle/Unawatuna/Mirissa (All Inclusive)
- Sinharaja Rain forest tours
- Udawalawe National Park Safari Tour - Private & Customize Tour
- Private Ravana Falls and Nine Arches Bridge Ella Tour from Galle
- Hidden temples and Secluded Coastlines Tour from Unawatuna