Surfing & Windsurfing • Water Sports
What travelers are saying
- My girlfriend and I were learning kitesurfing for the first time. Rashid was a fantastic teacher and we had a lot of fun learning this brilliant sport. I would highly recommend Zanzibar kite paradise!Written November 16, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I had a fantastic time at the surf camp! Everyone at Aquaholics is friendly and has a good sense of humor. I loved hanging out at their Paje headquarters even when I wasn't surfing. They have lounge chairs, couches, and hammocks for beachy chillaxin' options.
There are surf breaks for all levels, but you need at least 3 intermediate or advanced surfers to get a trip to the more advanced spots. As this is the only surf school in Zanzibar and none of the breaks are accessible from the beach without a very long paddle, you don't have much choice but to go wherever they take you. So stay flexible and learn to have fun in any kind of wave. Zanzibar is a really chill spot to surf uncrowded waves on most days.
If you do get to go, the Jbox trips are such a treat. We got lucky and saw dolphins along the way and then a whale while we were surfing! Also try the Dongwe Doughnuts add-on (snorkeling in Blue Lagoon and underwater wing). The coral at Blue Lagoon are still alive, unlike the ones at Mnemba Island. And underwater wing is holding onto a wooden board and getting dragged behind a boat while doing barrel rolls or dolphin-like duck dives underwater.
The fiberglass surfboards at the Dongwe center are a bit beat up, as is to be expected when you have a bunch of beginners surfing on shallow reef. The staff patch them up right away. Just watch for some sharp spots where the patches crack or chip. Hakuna matata - most students will be put on a foamie anyway.
The surf camp package puts students in the Ebb and Flow hostel which is not beachfront but it is only a five minute walk to the beach. It's a great deal but the wifi is slow and unstable, especially when you have a bus load of dutch teenagers hogging up the bandwidth. As a digital nomad, I had to work primarily off my local SIM card for the three weeks I stayed. (Also, if you are allergic to cats, note there is a resident cat there that loves to rub against your leg and beg for food).
When it's not windy enough to go kiting nor wavy enough for surfing, they offer SUP boards to rent. Gliding across the glassy smooth surface of warm, clear, turquoise water gave me so much ASMR. Thanks Aquaholics for the marvelous experiences.Written October 25, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- There are many kite schools in Paje beach but B4 kitesurf stands out by the quality and quantity of gear available (Brand new Cabrinhas)
This is combined with great chill area including Bar/Drinks/Food/Sofas/Bed and a pool.
They launch nice Afro house parties on Saturday and Tuesday from 10pm to 2amWritten September 24, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I had a brilliant time learning to kitesurf with Bkite. They are a very friendly group and my instructor Samir was fantastic, patient and fun. They have great equipment, are focused on safety and they are great communicators. Don’t look anywhere else if you want to kiteboard in Paje!Written October 22, 2023
- We had a great time with the guys paddle boarding in the mangroves. It was an early start because of the tide but a lot of fun as we got to see the sun come up and explore whilst everywhere was quiet.
The team were super friendly, communication was great leading up to the day and they really took care of us.Written November 21, 2023
- I had a 3h Kite refresh lesson with Uncle Vibe (Emanuel). He is very professional and i would recommend him and the school to take some lessons.
:) :)Written October 8, 2023
- Congenial kite school with friendly team. The setting was perfect and as starter I really enjoyed it! Many thanks to Yassin, he is very professional and empathetic.Written June 8, 2023
- We were looking for a chilled place to stay for a couple of weeks that didn't break the bank but was linked to a kite school so they understood kiting, did downwinder trips and excursions etc.
This place was exactly that! A beautiful little paradise of trees surrounding the property, a great mix of tented accommodation (think "glamping style" with the coolest outdoor bathrooms!), a couple of really cool treehouses and some apartment style rooms as well. We stayed in the larger of the 2 treehouses, very reasonably priced and well set up. Breakfasts were included (they were excellent!) and Paje was easily within walking distance (10 min) with plenty of places to eat and drink.
The staff were awesome - Jan, the owner, has been there for many years, very knowledgeable on the kiting and surf conditions, organizes plenty of downwinders and excursions and there are a number of kite instructors and beach helpers to make the kiting experience an amazing, easy, fun activity!! We had all our own equipment and there was a secure storage area for it all (included in the price). A communal kitchen area and lounge provided a great place to chill, check the internet and hang out and meet everyone.
If the people who were staying there at the time we visited are anything to go by, you will make friends for life if you stay here!! We met some amazing people, had such a great time and will be in touch forever!!
This place is what kiting and enjoying the sport and the people is all about!! Jan - you're a legend and I hope Airborne never changes!!Written August 29, 2021
- This place is really a paradise. The kite school has new management (you can realise they just moved in), they are really nice and friendly always trying to support. Food and drinks are also good.Written February 9, 2020
- I took beginners lessons at this kite school, and it was amazing. I’m now able to kite both sides on my own. They are really sweet and helpful!Written February 18, 2020
- De kite instructors are professionals, very patient en the teaching with head set is so nice. The school is well organized by a super nice manager and the vibe is so chill. They can teach from beginner in perfect shallow water to more experienced. My 11 year old son made such an huge improvement, he can even jump now! And my husband became an independent kiter with them.Written July 29, 2023
- Good value for the money. Masai, the instructor has good teaching skills. The kiting equipment is in good shape.
They just set up a shop north of Bwejuu. This is where I took a 3 hour class. As a beginner I felt safe and had good progression.
Masai is flexible and helps create a day suitable to your needs.Written September 29, 2023
- My wife and I have been in Paje for few days and had lovely time with Nikki who was great in making feel us home and organizing the lessons when was better for us. Also management of last minute changes was perfect.
Our instructors Sheby and Beka were amazing. Although we had two different levels of experience we were able to make huge progresses thanks to their professionalism and clarity during the lesson.
Safety is also something very important in kitesurf and it was taken really seriously and passed the importance of this aspect to us.
If you are in Zanzibar and want to have Kitesurf lessons we do suggest this kite school.Written August 22, 2022
- I spent here three days kiting and rent material from sunseabar.
Good equipment, laid-back staff, great location. I absolutely recommend this place!Written June 12, 2017
- France and his brother Pete were very friendly and professional. I really enjoyed my kiteboarding lessons with them and got up riding on the second day! The wind unfortunately died down so I wasn’t able to complete my course but they only charged me for the hours used. Definitely recommend learning a fun new sport with them!Written September 4, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Paje
- These are the best places for kid-friendly surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing in Paje:See more surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing for kids in Paje on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing in Paje:See more surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing for groups in Paje on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing in Paje:
- Bkite Zanzibar - Kitesurfing School
- Aquaholics Kite & Surf Zanzibar
- Mwananchi Kite Surfing
- Kiteboarding Zanzibar
- Paje by Kite - Zanzibar
- These are the best places for adrenaline seekers looking for surfing, windsurfing & kitesurfing in Paje:
- Zanzibar Kite Paradise
- Aquaholics Kite & Surf Zanzibar
- B4 Kitesurf Zanzibar
- Mwananchi Kite Surfing
- Kiteboarding Zanzibar