State Parks • Historic Walking Areas
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Visiting Sitka was wonderful. you could walk to everything. We had a relaxing day walking to the NHP and within the City. Nice to get off the cruise ship and walk around.Written October 23, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We liked this so much that we went back the next day with a tour. It was instructional and a wonderful chance to see eagles up close. Keep up the good work!!Written November 17, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Thoroughly enjoyed the native artifacts, clothing and hunting implements that are very thoughtfully displayed. The drawers contain a wealth of items that enhance the experience.Written September 11, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We went in the middle of September 2023 before embarking on a cruise. The secret is going when the cruise tours aren’t there. On cruise tour days they can have between 7k - 10k visitors in a single day!
You can catch the blue line bus from downtown Sitka for $2.00 single ride or $5.00 day pass. You take the bus to the end of the line and it is a short walk from there. Buses run every our. The bus line website keeps track of the day and the times the ships will dock. Note: If it is busy cruise ship day you may not be able to just walk up and buy a ticket or even catch a bus!
For our visit we were amongst the first of four visitors for the day. The bears were very active and playing with each other. No challenge in seeing them or taking photos. We spent around an hour there. I would go back assuming the conditions were good. If it is going to be packed with tour groups you may come away less than thrilled.Written September 18, 2023
- This is an excellent church with a ton of history about the town and religion. If you have 30 minutes and the church is open, stop in. Entrance fee is a donation.Written September 2, 2023
- Such a great gem in town! Considering admission is free, it's even better! The tours are extensive and leave every 30 minutes. The tour guide, Matt Booth, was so knowledgeable and friendly. It was obvious he was invested in the history he was presenting. Everyone visiting town should visit this attraction and learn a little more about this town's rich history.Written July 16, 2023
- Absolutely STUNNING! Hiking in Sitka was my favorite part of our trip to Alaska. And our tour guide made it even better. I highly recommend this hike!Written June 30, 2023
- To get to the trailhead you have to drive about six miles up Harbor Mt Road, just off Halibut Point Road. The road is a one lane gravel road with lots of switchbacks and tight turns. Drive slow and easy and you’ll be fine. The hike is 2.5 miles to a shelter, and is up and down, than up and down and than up one more time. The views are amazing on a clear day. When we went up the clouds rolled in, it started to drizzle and then the sun came out. Great hike, a bit more challenging than expectedWritten July 18, 2022
- Very interesting visit, the fish were climbing the fish ladders by the many thousands! We learned about the whole cycle of a salmons lifespan from eggs to ultimate end of life. It was fascinating and our guide was great. Highly recommend a visit when the fish are running.Written September 14, 2023
- Sitka has a relaxing sidewalk stroll that leads to a playground, a coastal nature area to see wild eagles and totem park. This area was just steps from the ship , easy to walk to. There are holding trails at totem park. I enjoyed the town and shopping was not as crowded as other towns. The waterfalls were beautiful. There were also really cute churches with open doors.Written June 16, 2023
- If you have the time, it's worth a look. $5 admission fee. No charge to tour the gift shop!! Great items- take a look!!Written May 19, 2023
- I'm not exactly sure I'm placing this review at the right spot, but basically at the current end of the road north (the road is being expanded as I right this but isn't open yet) there is a nice boardwalk around the estuary and then on the ocean side of the highway there is a few campsites and the Mosquito Cove trailhead. I highly recommend this hike! It's about 1.5 miles total if you do the loop, and there is a bit of up and down so take that into consideration, but if you're in decent shape you should be fine. There is usually posted notices of bear activity in the area, so a can of bear spray should probably be carried as a precaution. But the forest is amazing and the trail if well maintained.Written August 31, 2022
- Well worth the effort….Found this place but not easy as 1. It has changed name and is now the Harbor Mountain Brewing company. Also 2. Tripadvisor map puts it slightly in the wrong place. You can find it on the main road just behind the service station at saw mill creek road.
Greeted by super helpful staff helping us select a few flights of beer. Tried various lagers, IPAs and stouts all excellent and of course all brewed on the premises. Also bonus is there is a separate company sharing premises that serves amazing pizzas - Campfire. Great pizza oven and pizza selections. Highly recommendedWritten June 7, 2022
- I spend 5 weeks in Sitka working as a docent at Sitka Lutheran Church. This is a beautiful island city in Alaska. It is surrounded by towering mountain and the Pacific Ocean and Gulf of Alaska. Many cruise ships come into Sitka and I always felt bad for those travelers that only experienced the city in rain and fog which Sitka has plenty. If you are lucky enough to arrive in nice weather it is a spectacular place to visit. I highly recommend the Beak restaurant on the harbor which in addfition to spectacular views has the best prices in town with tips not accepted.Written July 3, 2023
- We did this Heart Lake Trail through Sitka Bike and Hike as an excursion offered by our Princess cruise. From downtown Sitka, it’s a 12min van ride to the bike pick up. Bikes were in terrific condition and we were offered helmets, rain parkas, and rain pants. Then we were riding along the ocean, and stopped at a steep staircase with beautiful views. The hike was through moss covered trees and we saw a lovely waterfall. We hiked past the gorgeous Thimbleberry Lake, and learned all things Alaska from our energetic great guides: Kyle and Mitchell. Even though it rained the entire 3 hours, it still was a fun experience.Written August 1, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Sitka