Popular things to do
What travelers are saying
- Very nice museum with some unusual works. I was surprised to learn there was an occupied sarcophagus. The layout is nice. I was disappointed in the limited offerings in the fashion section.
I recommend the museum but not the city. Parking is ridiculously inadequate and we passed by a squatter shelter in downtown next to the water.Written June 21, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My SO and I have been season ticket holders for years. We live about an hour away. The ride is fairly easy and the tours that come through are usually new, if not opening their run right from Providence. The seats are comfortable but may be a little tight for those with extra "hippage", but all in all, decent. PPAC offers a good selection of shows, usually there's something for everyone. The Box Office is always helpful, whether in person or on the phone. A negative (for me) to note: Often, the program book has a generalized tour-season photo on the cover. As someone who collects them, I wish they had the show logo/artwork so I'd be more apt to keep them.Written September 12, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had a lovely family day out here at the Zoo, lots of interesting animals reptiles etc to keep the kids entertained. We also paid the extra $9 to do the dinosaur walk through, this was way better than we thought it would be, very clever and the kids enjoyed it.
We stopped for food, the prices were a bit excessive $16 for a chicken sandwich, we ordered our food which took at least 30 minutes to be ready.Written August 11, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our visit to the Brown University campus was quite enjoyable. We love architecture and college campuses have long attracted some of the best architects of their day! Brown has buildings dating back to the 1800s and even to the late 1700s as well as 20th century modern buildings by Philip Johnson. The story of Carrie Tower is touching. The Venetian-Gothic style of Robinson Hall is not to be missed. Manning Chapel is a wonderful example of classical design. The Rock (aka John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library) is a nice Brutalist architecture example. Philip Johnson's two works--10 years apart--reflect his changing style of architecture. Great to see students returning to the campus for the fall semester. What an atmosphere!Written September 24, 2023
- Anne was an amazing tour guide. She informed us very well of the state house history. I could have listened to her for two hours rather than just one. Her professionalism was over and beyond any tour guide we’ve ever had.Written September 29, 2023
- Lots to see and lots to eat, come with an empty stomach and have some of the best Italian food in the world! From cannolis to pasta and paired with a lovely local beer :)Written June 9, 2023
A perfect place for those who love books. Unmissable. It makes you want to spend the whole day there!
A gift from fate to visit the Providence Athenoeum!Written September 17, 2023
- A nice walk viewing historic buildings along this cobblestone street. We took many pictures including the Nightingale House. We then walked to the First Baptist Church and throughout Brown University. Had to climb some hills for the latter!Written October 15, 2022
- A very spacious, well maintained Park. There is an area with athletic fields, a zoo, gardens, lakes(boating), a museum, trails for both walking & biking, playgrounds for younger children and lots of green grass for picnicking or relaxing in the sunshine. You can easily spend a day here.Written May 12, 2023
- A lovely walk and some stairs to do as well. Makes a great workout spot or a stroll that leads to the risd campus by the river too.Written June 9, 2023
- Most beautiful cemetery I’ve visited. Definitely use the walking tour map. So much history and info. It’s 60 acres with 40,000+ interments. Definitely worth a visitWritten April 23, 2023
- Stephen Hopkins was the founding father and governor of Rhode Island and signatory of the Declaration of Independence. George Washington had stayed at this house. Their are many gorgeous artifacts and heirlooms. The tour is fascinating and highly recommended.
This is NOT the house of Stephen Hawking the English theoretical physicist, cosmologist, and author - as one of the reviewers posted.Written January 14, 2020
- I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The docent Kathy was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.
The property has been very well preserved. I purposely chose to come to Providence on a day it was open and am glad I did.Written September 22, 2023
- Took my son here on a Saturday and he loved it. He was fascinated with the vacuum tubes as well as the water room. There were a lot of kids there, but there were plenty of things to do and exhibits to check out.
Make sure you give yourself a lot of time to check out everything. It can be a bit overwhelming for a kid, but they will have a lot of fun.
There is a small parking lot out front, if that is full, you will have to find street parking nearby.Written March 21, 2023
- It’s the main avenue of a college town. There are numerous restaurants along the way. The Brown University book store is on Thayer street as is an eclectic movie theater, the Avon Cinema. This is one of bright spots of the city of Providence. Always an entertaining spot to people watch. Parking can be challenging as there is only street parking available.Written October 12, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Providence
- The best day trips from Providence according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Autumn Tour in New England
- Rhode Island in a Day
- Newport: Rhode Island's Spectacular City by the Sea
- The most popular things to do in Providence with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Providence Performing Arts Center
- Rhode Island State House
- Roger Williams Park Zoo
- Roger Williams Park
- Experience Rhode Island Tours & Transportation
Providence Attractions Information