Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Wailea
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- This is a lovely clean beach in a nice location. It is a bit on the smaller side; however, the coast and location make it great for kids in the group. It does have a public beach, with restrooms. No complaints here.Written October 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My wife and I did not swim here, rather, we went to check out the views. The location is beautiful and the water looked crystal clear. It is a dangerous beach and we saw one small boy bet engulfed by an unsuspecting large wave. Be careful if you swim here. It costs $10 to park in the lot. We, along with others, found parking on the street just outside the main entrance.Written November 1, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- By the time we reached here the sunset was almost gone. But, we have some fun here and easy parking helps. Hope to visit again.Written November 24, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is the beach that is the play beach for the Wailea Beach Resort and the Maui Elua resort. The waves here in October were minimal and it was not difficult to get in to the water. The snorkeling is best in the morning and the crowd picked up as the day wore on so go early morning for the best, least crowded snorkel experience. Also swim out to the furthest tip of the reef and beyond, mind the surge breaking on the rocks of course, but the outer point is the least crowded area and was where the turtles were hanging out feeding. Even a better idea walk past the reef through a small cluster of trees on the beach to the other side of the reef and snorkel the north side of it and head out to the point from there. You will encounter less people on that side of the reef as most of the snorkelers are coming from the Wailea Beach Resort which is on the south side. The fish were numerous (all the classic Hawaiian reef fish) and conditions in October were about 10-15' visibility and maybe
20+ further out. I saw at least 3 different turtles feeding and hanging out but it could have been as many as 7 since I had numerous sitings some of which may have been the same turtles.Written October 15, 2022
- Little Beach requires you to hike over a hill to get to it from Big Beach. Its very quiet and laid back with less people. This is probably mostly due to it being clothing optional. People mostly kept to themselves and were just enjoying the water and the sun. There is a section on the far side with lava rocks that is cool to see. Sunset is great here too, better than on Big Beach.Written August 22, 2022
- Great beach for families. It offers grassy knoll that's great for picnics, aside from the sandy beach.Written October 15, 2022
- Great path to walk or run or just simply take in the spectacular ocean views. It can get a bit crowded in the early mornings with other people exercising, but normally tapers of mid morning.
The sunset views here are also amazing:)Written October 15, 2022
- As beaches were meant to be…
Public parking is available but entrance to the beach (10’ wide public right away) is well marked. It’s about 1/4 walk from parking to the beach sand.
Sandy part of beach is wide but beach itself is long coastal so you can enjoy a long walk and sunset is beautiful during the summer months
There are area that sun worshipers were sunbathing in their birthday suits.
I didn’t see any bathroom or wash off area and definitely no shops.
If you are in Waikiki/Honolulu area and this might be a good day trip to get away people. Swimming in July was very nice even though it was a very windy day.
There are no shades in the AM hours so take some that can withstand some windy conditions.Written July 28, 2022
- This is a VERY high end shopping area, like Rodeo Drive. Escalators, fountains, Tiffany's, etc. But they do offer affordable options like ABC stores and one of a kind businesses that aren't off the map price wise. There is definitely something for everybody. And lots of good food in open air bars and restaurants!
It is a very beautifully designed area with lots of comfortable seating that is intended to promote hanging out. In the center of the mall is a stage and one evening we were passing though, they had some great entertainment with a Hula dancer. Talented musicians. Combined authentic Hawaiian songs with some others that included songs by Tracy Chapman and Norah Jones . People began gathering and it was a very family friendly atmosphere. Little kids were dancing and the whole vibe was great!
The reason I rated it a "4" is that most of the shops are places I could not ever afford to shop. Wailea is one of the most expensive areas on the island. I remember 25 years ago when that shopping center was very primitive and undeveloped and a Hawaiian lady was doing Hula lessons with kids on the shopping center lawn amidst the mud puddles. I only stay in Wailea because I am able to still stay in my ex husband's condo for no cost at this point. But Wailea itself is gorgeous. Highly recommend visiting this shopping center.Written October 26, 2022
- Found a recommendation online to visit this beach. We saw 7 turtles while we were at this beach. Amazing! This we really enjoyed this beach, good size, some shaded tree spots and great swimming. Snorkeling on the north end was good. As the day got later the surf did get a bit rougher, but overall one of our favorite stops on Maui.Written August 27, 2022
- Simple life of swimming with the turtles. It is a small, sandy beach in a lava rock cove. There is a public toilet here and parking for about 20-odd cars.Written August 17, 2022
- I have never seen such big waves in person. There is a warning that if you're not a strong swimmer to stay out. Beautiful to look at, did not go in.Written August 8, 2022
- Excellent, secluded white sand beach by some high-end properties. There's some really good snorkelling there and we even saw honu!
Access by a very short trail with tree shade. Roadside parking by Makena Road right by the entrance.Written October 8, 2022
- Great beach to view Hugh turtles that come to the beach each evening… we saw at least 15 that came in. Was able to take some great pictures but you do have to keep your distance..Written October 25, 2022
- This soft, sandy, uncrowded, sloping beach in a rural setting, is at the northern end of Big Beach in Makena State Park. The quiet, great swpmming and boogie boarding beach is just before the trail up over the foot of Puu Olai cinder cone to the secluded, clothing optional Little Beach. The view back towards Big Beach from the top of the trail, is exceptional and breathtaking. Even if you don't want to go to Little Beach, you must climb the trail for great photo ops of Little and Big Beaches.This is a kid friendly, family oriented adventure that you won't forget. A lot of friendly locals use this beach in the less travelled area of south Wailea along Makena Road.Don't miss the opportunity to see this magnificent, gorgeous mile long stretch of beach that stretches from Oneloa Beach to Secret Cove below Big Beach.Written July 16, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Wailea
- The best day trips from Wailea according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Molokini Crater and South Maui Coast Adventure from Kihei
- Road to Hana Tour with Lunch and Pickup
- Majestic Haleakala Sunrise Tour with Pick-up
- South Maui: Self-Guided E-Bike, Hike and Snorkel Excursion!
- Private Road to Hana Tour