- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
5 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- This was a place my sister wanted to go. It was a beautiful place. Verry quiet and historical area. We arrived too late for the gift shop.Written July 20, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This was a beautiful place. My sister has always wanted to go to the light house. She was so excited that we finally made it. It was a beautiful drive getting there. The views were amazing.Written July 23, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We took the ferry over to Shackleford specifically to see the horses, and maybe get some shells...We were so disappointed that we didn't see any horses...I just think it was so incredibly hot that they were somewhere in the shade, or in a spots where they were hidden....we were dropped off and told the horses would be to the west end...we walked that way and decided to go inland thru the forest taking what we thought could be a horse trail...had plenty of horse manure so we thought that would bring us to the horses...we had our dog with us...wow was it hot...we will go again more towards oct nov...it was way too hot and no breeze inland, but we were determined...we just couldn't figure out which way to go...many people told us different ways to walk, but none worked out...it was too hot for the horses for sure, so we will try another time...we walked quite a few miles...and just couldn't do it anymore...but thankfully we got to the other side where the Atlantic Ocean was and the breeze was great, the ocean was nice and cool for us and our dog...in the end we just decided to call it a day, because we didn't want our dog to overheat...so we just continued to walk the ocean side all the way around to the ferry pick up. point...that was a lovely walk....no shells...again we will try again in the fall....definitely need water shoes, your sneakers will get soaked...flip flops will get stuck in mud...and yes there are the little cactus plants with pretty long spines on them, so we couldn't go to deep into the forest...because of our dog, didn't want him stepping on them....beautiful scenery...can't wait to go back, just not in 102 degree weather as there is no shade whatsoever...Written August 4, 2022
- Great museum with decoys, a chance to watch a carver, info about past hurricanes, and local history. Trails around the grounds are interesting. We then went next door and booked a ferry to Shackleford and Cape lookout to see the lighthouse (closed for renovations, but the keepers house is open). Water on the islands is clear and has minimal waves. Great full day excursion. It is easier to pack a cooler for lunch, though you can get snacks at the ferry and there is a food truck that might be open during high season. The only restaurant open was back at the island entrance and was packed at lunchtime. We didn’t stick around, but a sign there says that it is a good place for stargazing. Best day of our vacation!Written May 22, 2022
- This is a lovely center with very clean bathrooms and an attractive gift shop. There is a short hike around back and terrific view of Cape Lookout and the iconic lighthouse.Written February 3, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Harkers Island
- The most popular things to do in Harkers Island with kids according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Cape Lookout Lighthouse
- Shackleford Banks
- Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center
- Harkers Island Visitor Center