- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
3 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- Recently took the California Zephyr from Chicago to San fran and the South West Chief back from LA.. I could have given this review 5* or 0* depending on whether I was judging creature comforts or the overall experience! Anybody thinking about this trip should remember that Amtrak has been starved of investment for many years and the venerable superliner cars are now 40 years old and definately showing signs of age. There is much vibrating and rattling in the bedrooms overnight and the heating is a bit hit and miss as is the in room showers. That said lack of sleep gives more opportunity to savour the fantastic landscapes thes trains pass through. The current meal offer is ok but hardly cordon bleu and dont expect silver service .All that said , the crew do their best with obsolete working equioment and offer a folksy style of service. The Amtrak lounges definately evoke a past era of train travel being a haven of peace and quiet . By any stretch of the imagination taking a room on these trains is not cheap although if you want to rough it in coach then the fares are minimal.Written April 22, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Thought it was be fun to take the Downeaster to Portland, I should say we have a perfectly lovely car and could've easily driven there ourselves. Why drive, this will be fun... Well, never again will we take this train. It was 35 minutes late going to Portland and an hour late getting us home in Boston. Even worse, when you get to Portland there are literally NO Lyft/Uber/taxis to be had. After trying the two apps I called the two taxi companies recommended by the hotel. The first one said it would be an hour wait and the second said 45 minutes. Ummm, seriously? Where are we? I thought Portland was a big city. Why are drivers not there to greet the trains upon arrival? Seems like a no brainer to me. We ended up finally getting an Uber with surge pricing. We paid almost $30 to 1.7 miles to downtown. We are city people and could've easily walked to the hotel but its not exactly walkable. After arriving late & dealing with the hassle of getting to the hotel I don't know why i'm surprised we were an hour late getting home. Also, we were stressed about getting back to the train station bc there are literally no rides to be had, The kicker is Amtrak isn't cheap. I'd expect better service but now I know the arrival times are merely a suggestion, sigh...Written June 14, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We (Family of 4) were getting off a green train at Park Station and walking toward the area to switch to the red station when a woman hit me really hard on my head and unzipped my side purse. Luckily my husband turned the corner and started shouting at her. No police! No security! Not even the ticket person. There was NO ONE TO Help us. She took off running when we realized she was trying to rob me. Her partner wasn't able to complete the job. I'm thankful my children were not hurt. This is absolutely unacceptable! We were excited about Boston but I'm thankful to be back in Texas where I can carry my gun. I highly recommend taking a LYFT. The drivers are all real nice and you don't have to worry about being attacked. It's really hard for me to encourage my children to go to College in Boston. It's NOT a safe place.Written March 17, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.