Lookouts • Hiking Trails
Top Attractions in Kapaa
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- This is a great trail with excellent views. My son and I really enjoyed it. It has numerous switchbacks which make it accessible to all. The feral chickens and roosters in the parking area made for some great photo's.Written August 1, 2022
- We loved riding the paved Kauai bike path during our vacation. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the name of the bike rental shop we hired our bikes from as there was no name for the shop front and the owner said they don't actually want to go on Trip Advisor. However, we did hire our bikes easily for 2 hours near a car park facing the beach along the path, and it cost approximately $60 for our family of four. The coastline is really beautiful and it was an easy ride for our family. As other people said we simply wished this paved path was a longer distance. We highly recommend riding the Kauai Path!Written June 26, 2022
- We made an appt to be able to enter the temple, which is lovely and serene. A great place to meditate. And then give yourself time to tour the beautiful grounds, see the overlook of the Wialua River Falls, visit the gift shop and pick up some special momentos.Written June 1, 2022
- Beautiful trail. Gradual climb. Walk about 1.3 miles up. Lush escape with very few people the day we went.Written June 12, 2022
- Smiths Luau had great food and the night show was incredible. The owner, Mr. Smith was the MC and explained the history of the Luau and showed how the pig is cooked in the ground. The grounds are very well kept and we got to see and feed the Peacocks while they pranced around, we even got to pet the Billy Goat. I recommend this Luau to anyone who is visiting Kauai.Written May 27, 2022
- Best place to visit in kauai our trip was so sucessful visiitng the temple few times And visiting the rudraksha forest never could have seen in out lives. What a blessings.
Great dedications of the monks and love for lord shiva. Absoluetly Divine and Blissful to visit. No entrance tickets no complusion of any sort of donation. Very very peaceful and in the banks of the river with so much of positive energy which you will feel it for sure.Written February 8, 2020
- Definitely worth stopping by and checking it out for half an hour or more! Long pathway makes it fun viewing from different perspectives. In addition, across the street there's an excellent view of the Wailua river.Written September 17, 2020
- Terrific. Thanks, Stephanie, for the personal touch and for your deep knowledge of local bees, honey and MEAD. Looking forward to getting home and finding this very varied selection of unique and delicious drinks.Written July 30, 2021
- The hand design art work is beautiful and comes with a high price tag. Personnel are very friendly and knowledgeable.Written October 17, 2019
- Our hotel was right on the beach. It is well cared for especially by those who are locals. The North end is best for swimming.Written February 2, 2022
- We attended 5 PM Mass on a Saturday. The church is lovely, peaceful and almost gives the impression that you are out of doors, because of all the glass. Light and airy. We were welcomed with leis and recognized as visitors, the homily was good and interesting, the lectors did a great job, and the congregation all sang. My special takeaway and food for thought: "We trust Uber to get us where we are going, we trust the doctor when he gives us a prescription, so why do we hesitate to trust God?" A simple concept, but uniquely expressed. Mahalo.Written November 12, 2019
- A great little church with decent music, very good teaching, kids program and refreshments right after the service. Aloha attitude!Written March 5, 2020
- As soon as we return from our Hawaiian vacation we start looking for another lovely gift. The artwork here is amazing. Our son bought a beautiful piece of Aloha. I’m sure it will last for a very long time! Aloha beautiful!Written August 23, 2019
- My wife and I visit Kauai at least once a year and have been doing so for several years. We love Kauai for many reasons but in particular all the great hiking trails. On every occasion we visit, we always hike the Kuilau / Moalepe trail. It’s a beautiful area with thick forests and spectacular views. Unfortunately yesterday (Friday April 12th 2019) when we hiked this trail we could hear constant gunshots from hunters. We also noted a motor biker on the trail. Not sure if the two were connected or not.
As we returned to our parked car at the Moalepe trailhead - hiking the Moalepe section of the trail - we came around a corner and discovered a couple of hunters firing shots from right next to the hiking trail
We were certainly aware that hunting happens in this area. It is posted on the official sign as you enter the trail (along with a sarcastic home made sign erected by local hunters about hunting and their dogs). However, the official sign indicated the area is open to hunting on weekends, Monday’s and State holidays - none of which was applicable on the day we hiked. Also, the trail sign specifically states “no motorized vehicles”. So we were disappointed that the rules are obviously being violated.
In summary, our main concern was how close the hunters were set up to the hiking trail - and the very real risk of injury. In this case the hunters in question had set up right next to the Moalepe trail and were firing from that position.
Needless to say, it was very disconcerting and disturbing to be walking through a beautiful forest with the sound of gunshots and a motor bike.Written April 13, 2019
- The trail requires several river crossings. Some may find this difficult. The walk back includes two long uphill climbs. Carry plenty of water.
The views or the coast, the mountains, the jungle, and the falls are spectacular. This is the best hike I have been on in Hawaii.Written August 10, 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Kapaa
- The best day trips from Kapaa according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Half-Day Kayak and Waterfall Hike Tour in Kauai with Lunch
- South & East Kauai - History-Legends & Waterfalls - 6 hrs.
- Da Westside Explorer - Nature's Wonders, History & Local flavors (7-9hrs)
- Best of Kauai Tour by Land, River and Optional Air
- Kauai Highlights Sightseeing Tour. Da best of the south, east and west!