Top Attractions in Roanoke
What travelers are saying
- Excellent views of the city from the overlook beneath the star. We also took in the little zoo, which as many zoos, needs help. It was a nice day and we are glad we went.
A brief history of Mill Mountain Park is outlined in the Discovery Center.Written November 28, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic boneyard outside for the trains and a great automotive section indoors. Loved the area dedicated to busses too.Written December 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Even if you are not interested in railroads, photography or even period architecture, this museum may ignite a flame in you. It's that good. Unassuming at first glance, you will be pulled into a time machine. Don't be fooled by that monstrosity across the tracks which looks like a crashed flying saucer. This is a real museum where you learn, feel the passion and be immersed in the work of a gifted artist to point that you can in some small way feel what he felt. How cool is that ?Written December 6, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Very neat with all the different salvaged items that perk your imagination to all the things that could be done with such items. If you stop on the right day/time you could get to hear some live music and enjoy a beer or two. Definitely worth a stop even if you are not crafty and just looking for something to do.Written November 19, 2022
- Very reasonable price for unlimited play all day so you can enjoy the full selection of machines. Went around lunchtime on a weekday and it was relatively empty at first with just a few other adult couples/groups like us, then filling up into the afternoon with more children by the time we left. Would highly recommend as a fun way to spend a couple of hours.Written January 1, 2023
- Almost gave it 5* considering it’s free to visit. It’s a great little museum to check out if you’re in the area. When we went we were fortunate enough to catch their Betty Branch retrospective which was a highlight and definitely worth seeing to get some insight into a local artist (Sep 2022-Mar 2023). Their main base collection I was somewhat less into with the exception of the Judith Leiber purse collections. It was worth the extra $10 to enter the Titian to Monet exhibition and see some more famous paintings and try the immersive experience.Written January 1, 2023
- The city of Roanoke talks about the free things to do and visiting the aquarium in the Center in the Square is one of them. If you've seen an aquarium in someone's house then don't stop by here. The view from the 7th floor is supposed to be soooo good but NO. Couldn't find any other reason to visit downtown.Written July 8, 2022
- Nicely maintained greenway. Beautiful scenery along the way. Excellent for walkers, runners, bikers, families, and pets. There are places to stop and sit, restrooms, playgrounds, informational signs, and maps. Highly recommended.Written October 17, 2022
- It was a Sunday afternoon, so not crowded and there was plenty of parking at that time. Bartender was ok - couldn’t crack a small to save her life. I had the Yuve Yuve yu stout and it was delicious - just what I was looking for. Sadly, we could not get a growler to take home because it was “too small batch”. My husband had the Rusty Cage and said it was “ok”. We ordered a couple of appetizers from Beamers that were delivered to our table and they were excellent (see separate review). I will definitely return if we are ever in the area again.Written October 20, 2022
- We were just passing through Roanoke and it was such a blessing to visit St. Andrew's Church. On a Saturday morning, the main doors were locked but as we circled the building, luckily we found a back entrance door that was open for access to pray the rosary. While the exterior of this Gothic chuch is majestic, so too is its interior beautiful and inspiring. The lofty ceiling and stained glass windows are works of art. We also were able to see the small chapel with relics of the True Cross and many saints. St. Andrew Church was dedicated almost 120 years ago and is a real treasue.Written September 19, 2021
- This zoo is small, but children will like it. The collection includes a rare Snow Leopard. Also be on the look-out for "unreal" animals around the grounds, that is, artists' renditions of different types of wildlife.Written November 30, 2022
- Linda was a sweet, helpful lady. She's such an asset to the Roanoke Visitor Center. You must visit here before heading out for your adventures and vacation FIRST.Written June 23, 2022
- We brought our kayaks for a day at this beautiful, peaceful, clean lake. Rental Jon boats, kayaks and canoes are available with life preserver. Parking is well worth the $7. A knowledgeable person will make change for you and give you lots of informationWritten June 23, 2022
- A great variety of menus from the different vendors, housed in this building. The City Market is centered in downtown Roanoke. It is an easy walk to and from the several boutique hotels and the iconic Hotel Roanoke. After a nice meal or refreshment walk down the street towards Jefferson Ave and stop into the magical Market Gallery, at 22 Campbell Ave. across from The City Parking Garage. It is an amazing little hidden jewel. It exhibits truly beautiful, collectible artwork, from regional and out of state artists, at truly affordable prices. It has been in Roanoke for twenty years, everything is original and is easily comparable to fine New York or San Francisco art galleries, without the high prices.Written March 23, 2022
- We attended in December and enjoyed the professional actors, excellent voices, and great story line. MMT is a great theatre but after so many years of carefully selecting a show, and then being offended by language, we have not gone for a long time. We went to a Christmas matinee and were pleasantly surprised. If this is the current caliber of shows, we will definitely be back.Written January 10, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Roanoke
Roanoke Attractions Information
|Local Time||Friday 4:16 AM|