Science Museums • Zoos
Admission tickets from $22
What travelers are saying
- Holy cow. One of the coolest museums I have ever been to. Took the grandson and had a wonderful time. It was not a subject I had ever really been interested in but it was incredibly fascinating. Oh and did I mention it was only 1 dollar for entry? How is that possible?!?! Don’t be fool by the $1 entry, we would have paid so much more to see this awesome museum!Written November 12, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Super fun! Even as adults! My fiance and I went for a day date and had a great time! There was a lot to do for all ages. We enjoyed seeing all the animals and learning more about our area.Written October 8, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Enter and park your vehicle in the Visitors Control Center. Enter the building with the proper ID. The driver of the vehicle in your party will be instructed to enter the social security number into a machine and also have a photo taken and printed onto a piece of paper for entry. Afterwards, the driver receives the printed paper to enter and returns to the vehicle. After you return to your vehicle, proceed to the checkpoint with the paper and driver’s license ready. Remove your sunglasses. After entering Fort Eustis, go down the road towards the gas station, and make a u-turn to access the parking lot of the Museum. This road is busy. Use caution, as there are motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians in the area. Park in the designated areas only. Note that the outdoor displays close 30 minutes before the indoor displays close. There are bathrooms located in the building. Admission is free, and donations are welcomed. The displays are really something. Depending upon your interest level, your visit may be only 1 hour or all day long. This Museum is very interesting on many levels.Written August 14, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Superb museum, an absolute must-see for the history buff or a beginner. World class collection of relics and weapons that tell the story, with a superb collection of war posters, a few tanks, and nice grounds where some items are displayed. Full collection of Stoner weapons, great uniforms, and a great display of US black warriors. I think I'll start going annually.Written September 5, 2023
- What a beautiful museum! We went early Sunday morning and barely so any guests until an hour into our visit. The exhibits are well curated and you learn not only about the Monitor but also about the naval aspects of the Civil War.
The grounds also offer a pleasant trail.
Finally, this place is a bargain at $2.00 per ticket.Written April 23, 2023
- We were looking for something that would take us about an hour or two and get us some fresh air and stumbled upon this little gem. Beautiful hike through the woods with lots of bridges and lakes.Written February 25, 2023
- Such an amazing place to visit and just walk around and lose yourself to your own thoughts. I highly recommend!Written April 30, 2023
- The NN Visitor Center is kind of tucked away in a nicely wooded lot, just inside the Newport News Park. There are some picnic benches outside for visitors.
This Visitor Center is incredibly spacious inside. Like most Visitor Centers, there are lots of literature to pick up. I had a few questions for the attendant, and she was very helpful.Written November 7, 2020
- A beautiful country home. The staff very knowledgeable and the tour guide of the home was very good. Well worth the visit when in the Yorktown area. My wife and I are seniors and it was $12.00 for both of us.Written September 24, 2020
- The house is old, built in the 1700s. It is in good shape and well worth the $8 entrance fee. A good alternative is to purchase tickets for 3 local attractions, Endview Plantation, Lee Hall Mansion, and the Virginia War Museum for $18. The tour guide was knowledgeable and informative. You can tour the property at your leisure, giving children plenty of room to run around.Written April 16, 2018
- Wife and I park right across the street and walked over. The arch is very impressive and its nice way to honor our veterans.Written January 31, 2023
- The neighborhood is a little sketchy around the Newsome House, lots of people doing things that it is better that you don't see, But I had no trouble finding it as my GPS took me right there. The parking lot was completely full when I arrived so I parked around the corner. When I arrived, they thought I was there for the event, but quickly backpedaled and took me upstairs to do a truncated tour (the event was taking up the downstairs). While the exterior is completely restored the interior is used for other purposes and simple has little exhibits up in some of the rooms. The first two rooms we saw had an art exhibit in it and the last room was a museum with artifacts and lots of information. Mr. Newsome did a lot for himself, his family and the community and should be commended. I would like to note that the bathroom had been restored to look like it would have during Mr. Newsome's time and at the time was quite the innovation.Written May 1, 2018
- Always changing and friendly people. Diversity of items vintage, antiques and new. I am in love with the hand made items.Written February 4, 2023
- Great cocktails, superb ambience, a tad chilly inside. Low key, not crowded, out of the way, worth the drive. Drove from past Richmond for this tasting with friends. A tad pricey.Written November 9, 2021
- I believe strongly in supporting the local merchant. I have been a faithful customer at Dean and Don’s for 20 some years. In the past their peaches from South Carolina were the best locally to be found. I like the bakery items from a bakery on Cary Street in Richmond.
In the past many years the strawberries have also been phenomenal. Even though they may Have looked like they’re almost over ripe in the past it wasn’t so, they were really great strawberries. This year I am so disappointed. The strawberries look nice and ripe but are tasteless, I mean absolutely taste less. I hope they might be able to return to the prior vendor of their strawberries since they were the bomb.Written April 21, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Newport News
Newport News Attractions Information
|Sunday 3:56 AM|