- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
7 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- This is one of two visitor centers in the southern end of Flaming Gorge. We had time to kill before we could check into our campsite, so we spent about 2 hours here.
There's restrooms. The visitor center itself is nice, but kind of small. There's loads of area information & a small gift shop.
There's a small theater where they have 5 or 6 films you can see about Flaming Gorge. These films are pretty dated. Made in the 90s & featuring Lonnie Anderson of all people. The end of one of them had her all geared up for fishing. She was "fishing" & actually caught a fish (or her stunt double did!). Another had Robert Conrad in it.
Outside, you can take an elevator up to an outside viewing area of the dam. We've seen a lot of dams in out travels & really, there's nothing special about this one.
There's a picnic area with small shelters & views of the water. There's fishing access to the lake.Written July 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is one of the must dos while you're at Flaming Gorge.
They have a campground & a Lodge with a restaurant.
There's a .5 mile paved, accessible trail that has very scenic views of the canyon. There's some REALLY deep cracks in the rock in places & they warn you to watch your kids & pets. One crack will drop you down into the canyon!
They have a very nice visitor center that's been redone fairly recently. There's a gift shop & lots of area information. We tried to watch the film, but we both almost fell asleep, so we moved on. The guy & gal working there both had suggestions for things to do.
We took a graded dirt road to the Dowd Mountain overlook, which was fantastic! The views of the gorge & canyon were outstanding! We were the only ones there too. They have pit toilets.Written July 3, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- First class fly fishing, Charlie is a world class guide, I wouldn’t float the green river with any one but spinner fall !!! Great day guys, thanksWritten July 10, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We were there the first week of April 2022 our guides were Nick Jackson and Brandon Feller would suggest getting these guides. They were the best. We caught lots of nice trout and guides were super helpful since not all of us were seasoned fly fishers Cabins were comfortable be prepared to bring your food not many choices for eating out.Written April 21, 2022
- Wow what an amazing time we had with Bryce as our guide. We caught so many big brown trout we lost count. The Flaming Gorge is beautiful. Not to miss flyfishing destination.Written June 29, 2022
- We almost didn't go, but we ran out of other things to do. Went on a Saturday afternoon, so the ranch was open & the docents were there.
The road was pretty narrow & only one car in places, but was graded well.
There were 2 docents. The guy didn't move off the porch & his wife was hovering. The talk was informative, but when we moved to go to the main house, we were told to do the houses in order. Whatever.
I liked looking at the ranch & the buildings & would recommend taking a look.Written July 3, 2022
- My husband has booked with Gordon now 3x & each time done 2 days, once w/his buddy, once w/our daughter, once w/me.
I don't fly fish AT ALL, but I guess I do now💪🎣😉
Gordon was instructional, patient, & encouraging. His lunches are the bomb too. He loves smoking his cheeses & meats. They are delicious!
He'll literally hook up & untangle your line EVERY TIME. I started doing some of my own detangling & I think he was surprised (but I've been spin fishing with hubby before in the Sierras & let's just say I've snared a bush or two along the banks🤷♀️🙄😂).
He knows his boat, this river, the region, historical tidbits, and how to deliver on schooling you up.
This experience with THIS guide is a #definiterecommend.
And maybe next time I'll pull my fly up quicker (#tackyflyfishingjoke). It could happen👍🤙Written August 15, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Dutch John