Popular things to do
- Ports of Call Tours
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Half-day Tours
- Historical Tours
- Cultural Tours
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Walking Tours
- Likely to Sell Out
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Transfers & Ground Transport
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Water Sports
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Sporting Events
- Cruises, Sailing & Water Tours
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Viator Exclusive Tours
Top Attractions in Sounio
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- We were driving from Nafplio to the Athens Airport as we were due to fly out to the islands, but I decided to wake up an hour early so we'd have more time to take a detour south to the Temple of Poseidon at Sounio.
It was amazing.
It was one of the more expensive ancient sites to enter, and we only had about 25 minutes to wander around before needing to head back to the airport, but we arrived at 9:30am when they opened and we had the place to ourselves!
It can get very windy, but the views are incredible.
I am not sure that a long bus ride from Athens would be worth it as a day trip here as there isn't really much of anything else to see or do, but if you have a rental car and the flexibility to visit, then I would do so.
Had we had more time, we would have explored more of the other ruins but maybe an hour here max is needed.
The water really is that blue! Fun tip, if you fly back from any of the islands you may very well see Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon out the window if you sit on the left side of the aircraft.Written July 17, 2022
- The Sounio beach is just beneath the Temple of Poseidon in a nice bay. The whole bay is visible from the Temple site and while up sweating and exploring the site, it's tempting you to go down and take a swim in that heat.
There's parking around and you have a small free part, and a bigger part of the beach with sunbeds and umbrellas provided.
Water is crystal clear, with great views up to the Temple. There are few tavernas and bars.Written September 28, 2021
- Yes, this is probably the best beach around Athens, the beach is not huge, and during weekdays it is fine, while during weekends it is packed, and it is better avoid it. If you visit Sunio, and have few hours, do bring your swimming kit and stop here, I highly recommend it.Written July 13, 2022
- Legrena Beach is on the way to (or from) the Temple of Poseidon, which is a great excursion out of Athens.
We made a short break here, as it's easy accessible by car.Written September 28, 2021
- It is calm, very calm, and beautiful. You feel like if you were in a island. The waters are clean with sand. There are some big stone surfaces after 5m inside the sea but they don't bother you as the sea is deap there.
There are no trees and no beach bars, just a tavern nearby. I will definitely go back.Written May 29, 2018
- Very nice, helpfully, good guidance from Wijnald and Alex. I will recommend it to all cycling fans. I went in July so the weather was very hot best time to go is in October.Written August 9, 2020
- I had a wonderful kayaking trip along the Attica coast with George, and I highly recommend kayaking with them! You get amazing views on the shore and in bays you cannot have from the land, and I even saw a king fisher bird! The turquoise water colour and the clearness of the water are incredible.
Although it was rather cold March weather, they made the trip possible and due to the great equipment and a lovely and professional guide, it was a wonderful day! The route was adapted based on my abilities and preferences, which was highly appreciated. Everything was well organized and they really go a long way to accomodate your needs and make it a great experience!
Due to the low-season, there was not much other boat traffic, and it's a special magic to be out on the sea when you can see snow on the mountains in the distance! So I recommend not being decouraged by coolish weather, once you're out on the water it is incredible.
Amazing and very memorable experience!
Thanks a lot George and I am sure I will come kayaking with you again, and bring my friends (and also try other activities next time)!Written March 15, 2022
- It was amazing.....!!!! I highly recommend it......!! Mr Vassilis is an excellent guide....!!!! He is very polite.....!!!Written February 12, 2020
- Super friendly, super helpful company. The boat was in perfect shape (2020 model) and had everything you need (30hp, tent, BT Audio, cooling box). Can really recommend renting hereWritten July 17, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Sounio
- The best outdoor activities in Sounio according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Sounio on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Sounio according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Full Day Private Tour: Essential Athens Highlights plus Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon
- Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon Half-Day Small-Group Tour from Athens
- Cape Sounion Private Sunset Tour From Athens With Seaside Dinner
- Athens Super Saver: City Sightseeing Tour plus Half-Day Cape Sounion Trip
- Private Delphi & Thermopylae Tour from Athens