- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
37 places sorted by traveler favorites
Showing results 1-30 of 37
What travelers are saying
- From start to finish we all enjoyed the tour my granddaughter is 6 years old and she helped the miller and she was asking the tour guide lots of questions and we bought some flour and left a donation in the bucket well worth a visit if interested in local industry and farmingWritten July 23, 2022
- This is a lovely garden which includes a walk along the river in the shadow of an amazing mill. Very well-cared for, family-friendly, and for me, a perfect place to relax, knit, and soak up the sun!Written August 5, 2022
- I came to Belper because I had visited other mills in the area and heard about this World Heritage Site. Foolishly, I didn’t read the webpage so I arrived for a long weekend on the two days they are closed: Sunday and Monday. Undaunted, I walked around the outside and enjoyed the park.
The mill is fascinating, its power and its mass are worth seeing, even if from the outside. May you get whatever funding you need to stay open as a museum (I have to come back when you’re actually open!) and to repair some of the windows in the mill. That space should be used. It is awe-inspiring.Written August 5, 2022
- Easy to get to next to car park at the market place, lovely walk in the woods and down by the Brook, on a hill side but not to steep, enjoy.Written January 19, 2020
- Went to a wedding here during lockdown. A beautiful church with a lovely yet humorous service where social distancing measures were upheld.Written September 3, 2020
- Bank Holiday Monday 18th April 2022, Susan, my husband and I went to visit the Debradelei Mill Antique & Collectables Centre. It was our second visit to this lovely mill but Susan's first.
Built in 1834, it was the one time head quarters of George Brettle and Co, Once one of the most renowned manufacturers of hosiery and other cotton goods.
On the site, stockings were once produced for George III and his granddaughter Queen Victoria, and it is said the cotton vest worn by Admiral Horatio Nelson at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805 was a Brettle vest. “Bradelei” relates to the time of the Domesday Book when that was the name by which Belper was recorded.
The present De Bradelei Mill first opened in 1994 after the owner Simon Wallwork converted the ex-Brettles Textile Mill into what it looks like today. Having closed in late 2016, local business woman; Venetia Sanders came and saved the day, retaining as many staff as possible with her retail consultancy business.
De Bradelei Mills now sells various brands through their outlets including Laura Ashley, Viyella, Harvey Parker and much more.
We mooched round here for two hours and once again came away with gems. Susan purchased a lovely black, pink and yellow ‘swallow birds’ top, which really looked nice on her. My husband purchased a vinyl record for his extensive collection; he bought ‘Eulogy’ by The Nice, as my husband said he had this once but took it to a party and never saw it again. My husband said it was like finding an old friend, in mint condition at the very reasonable price of eight pounds.
This place is well worth a visit if you are in the area.Written April 21, 2022
- Modern Vintage Derbyshire
- A lovely place to sit and relax and enjoy a coffee in the little village. A lovely food festival takes over here in the summer which is great.Written May 17, 2022
- A stunningly beautiful old building in the middle of belper. Lots of cobbled streets that are still original with gorgeous houses surrounding old belper.Written July 22, 2019
- Wide range of brands at good prices. Staff very helpful, and good knowledge of the brands. Also sell sustainable brands.Written February 16, 2019
- Modern Vintage Derbyshire
- Lovely old Mill, as you enter, your sense enters a world 100+ years ago! You can spend hours here browsing the items on display. Highly recommended.Written May 17, 2022
- Beautiful little cinema, it’s like stepping back in time! I became a member after my first visit just recently, we should treasure these wonderful community businesses. I went to a breakfast screening on a Saturday morning to see Downton Abbey, a great value ticket which included a hot drink, 2 pastries, jam and fresh strawberries.Written May 24, 2022
- The rooms here were so so much better than we expected!
All the rooms except room 5 are on the third floor- (room 5 isn’t above the pub main section either so would be good too) this meant that we had no unwanted noise & could not hear the pub below at all.
The rooms are newly decorated and furnished to a high standard. The wallpapers are locally themed and printed. The rooms were impeccably clean. The beds were really comfortable. The showers are good.
The pub below has live music and a pleasant crowd. The drinks are a good price. Especially compared to the Talbot hotel up the road which incredibly expensive for drinks.
The George & Dragon does not do breakfast but it’s is on the main road and is ideally placed for local restaurants/plentiful cafés and the shops. Also in walking distance to the Belper River Garden and the the Beaurepair garden.
It has its own free car park behind the pub.
Dog friendly inside and outside
We recommend these rooms/ pub and will stay again.
ThanksWritten May 1, 2022
- Best pub in Belper, one of the top ten in Derbyshire. Nothing fancy inside, maybe a little too light, some bar snacks available pork pies etc
Great beer, great choice. great prices.Written March 30, 2022
- the beers are always excellent, the place is friendly, warming, and the bar staff are great, what more could you want.Written March 25, 2019
- Take a step back in time here to a very old traditional English pub. Great choice of real ales, ciders, wines and good old fashioned pub foods. Nice pleasant outside seating area in the sun and lovely village surroundings. Brilliant.Written June 13, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Belper
- The best outdoor activities in Belper according to Tripadvisor travelers are: See all outdoor activities in Belper on Tripadvisor