Speciality Museums • Lighthouses
Top Attractions in Tybee Island
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Planned our visit and the day was wonderful. After a visit to the Fort and a great lunch at the Crab Shack we wanted to explore the lighthouse.
Great narrative info out front and then they stagger those climbing the I believe 167 steps. There are little areas to take a quick break but smaller then some others we have visited (Astoria) . The area at the top is skinny so don't be afraid of heights.
There are little houses you can explore on the grounds too and onsite bathrooms.
We happened to come the day the Farmers Market was held right behind it. That was fun, but with our traveling we chose not to purchase much but lots of cools things.
The battery is also included in the price but our parents where getting pooped from the day of walking so we skipped it.Written August 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Was in area to visit the Fort and Tybee Lighthouse so did not prepare for a day on the beach, no worry you can just roll up those pant legs and pop off those shoes and just walk. We arrived end of the day and was able to catch a open parking spot close to the walk over. Bathrooms up on the pier area.
I did have a bag with a beach towel which we sat on the sand and took a chilled for a while.
Everyone was friendly but be careful next thing you know you have walked a long way from your car :)Written August 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Be sure to arrive at least an hour before closing! So much to view, direct access to Cockspur Island Lighthouse, plan for a half-day there. Beautiful grounds, you can pick and eat figs in season.Written August 11, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The MSC is small. The top floor offers a beautiful view of beaches. We loved watching “Ike” the resident loggerhead and all the other marine life. The science center is small but are in the process creating a lower level. The touch pool is very limited. The play area looked nice for younger children but it was too hot (99F) for us to try out. We spent about 30 minutes in the MSC.Written July 28, 2022
- We went to the North end. Yes we paid $3.50 an hour to park but some Florida beaches charge that much and more. The lot was small and muddy. Beach parking is paid until 8pm. Beach closes at 10pm.
The beach is pretty wide and very wide when tide is out. Tybee recently passed a no smoking ordinance for the beach so $3.50 an hour is a small price to pay for clean air at the beach.
Good belly surfing waves. Near the river mouth some people were using surf boards successfully.
The sand is not groomed but still OK except in shell pockets.
You CAN bring umbrellas and chairs. There is a boardwalk from the lot, across the dunes and to the beach.
Crab Shack restaurant is close by and a good place to (drive) eat.Written July 21, 2022
- Great place to get a view of the ocean. You can even see dolphins if they're out there playing. There were family reunions when we there so you might be able to rent part? Not sure.Written July 19, 2022
- Saw this on a dolphin tour! Only accessible from the water but not sure if you can go in. It’s a cute lighthouse but I wouldn’t make a special trip just to see itWritten July 12, 2022
- This museum is part of the lighthouse property. We enjoyed reading about the history of the lighthouse, Tybee Island, and the military activity of the area. Free parking. Admission price gives access to this museum and the lighthouse. A good way to spend a couple of hours.,Written April 9, 2022
- We stopped in because we wanted to look at the art gallery inside the same location. That was closed. However there was a lot of great information and a gentleman working at the visitor center was very friendly.Written April 17, 2022
- We went to Tybee Island for Christmas and this was the closest beach. Limited parking, but easy walk on flat terrain to get to the beach. No steps to the beach, so easy if you are hauling beach gear. Sand was good for walking. Wind was quite brisk. We enjoyed the point where the river meets the ocean the most.Written January 14, 2020
- This beach is located at the southern most tip of Tybee. It is a bit difficult to find the parking area but it still requires paying as does every spot in Tybee. The walk is longer than on the Atlantic side and there is a sand bar that becomes visible at low tide. This leaves a rather shallow pool. They patrol the area and do not allow people to walk on the sand bar.
It is sparsely populated but if you want to have waves, watch the tides and go as it is coming in or going out. About halfway in the cycle should be sufficient.Written August 11, 2022
- Pretty beach and great for families. Not as crowded as Southern part by public parking. The farther south you go the rowdier and more crowded this beach gets.Written May 21, 2021
- Absolute treasure. We saw The Jungle Book here put on by the Savannah Stage Company. It was a great time, venue was small and friendly, staff was wonderful, and area and overall cleanliness was fantastic. Will visit any time we are able when we are in the area!Written April 15, 2022
- We went to the market on Tuesdays much more artistic than food based market, like we were use to at home. However, bought some of the most delicious pecans I have ever had. Also, it was a great place to learn about Tybee from local people and explore the lighthouse grounds.Written July 17, 2022
- I came because of the history. It is amazing to me that Asian immigrants could achieve this at the time period they immigrated here especially in rural America. I bought a T. S. Chu's t shirt. They apparently are doing a bit of remodeling since part of the store was roped off. Friendly staff.Written February 3, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Tybee Island
- The best day trips from Tybee Island according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Savannah Tybee Island Dolphin Cruise Tour with Stop at Tybee Island Lighthouse
- Tybee Island Day at the Beach Experience from Savannah
- Savannah VIP Tour: Private Full-Day Tour