Top Attractions in Sanford
What travelers are saying
- We made a stop over at Sanford, during our trip from Orlando to Daytona.
It was a nice walk along the edge of the lake. There is free parking and nice spots to observe the birds. Also, lots of cared for flowers.
Pity we didn't have more time to explore the old town, or have a meal in Sanford.Written April 30, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you haven’t strolled around downtown Sanford, do so! We spent some leisurely time enjoying the scenery and soaking up the vibe of this charming, picturesque little town. We enjoyed our time here, even though most shops are closed on Monday. Go any other day of the week if you want to shop.Written February 15, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We arrived to hike this 7.1 mile loop trail at 8:30am. The small parking area already had several cars. The trail winds through marsh & floodplains with an abundance of hardwoods & foliage which borders several miles of St Johns River. We started the loop counter clockwise & glad we did. We enjoyed this direction better as the last couple miles were the least visually appealing & less strenuous. The trail was narrow with numerous tree roots, drop offs & required careful footing. Glad we wore proper hiking shoes. We were surprised to see people running by. The many boardwalks & peekaboo views of St Johns River along the way are nice. The trail is mostly shaded by the many trees & foliage. There are park benches occasionally along the way. We saw a deer, alligators, butterflies & many birds. Approximately 3.5 miles in there is a primitive camp site with a bbq & picnic bench one of which is covered. There are no restroom facilities anywhere on site. To hike the entire trail with stopping for pictures & nourishment took us 3.5 hours.Written April 23, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our large group of Central Florida locals recently attended a performance of Footloose the Musical. Many of us had seen the movie and were looking forward to seeing a live performance. We were not disappointed. The play is based on the original musical drama movie, Footloose from 1984. Later the movie had a remake in 2011. We arrived by coach; our driver found ample parking in the lot directly across the street from the theater. The venue itself is lovely after major renovations were completed in 1915. Seats are comfortable and all have good views of the stage. Since we were a group, our seats were all located closer to the aisles rather than in the center. I sat in Row F and had an excellent view. The theater was not full at our matinee. Be aware that during the play, the sides and aisles of the theater are utilized.
The story centers on a young boy, Ren who comes to a small western town, Bomont, Utah. The town experienced a major tragedy and the Reverend with the help of the town council declared that dancing was therefore banned. Ren & the other teens decide to challenge the ban. The cast is mostly made up of energetic teenagers who are talented and dance well. Reverent Shaw comes across initially as influential, unbending and finally humane. The play moved along smoothly but occasionally there were minor glitches with the sound. I enjoyed every minute of the show. It was lively and very entertaining.
The theater hosts a wide variety of events. Coming events are Purple Madness- A Tribute to Prince, Monsters of Comedy, Symphonic Underground’s Dancing Mad: A Final Fantasy VI Tribute and Tripping the Light Fantastic: A Tribute to Paul Mc Cartney. Classic movies are shown as well and Seminole State College has a Jazz night scheduled. Be sure to check their Website for other performances throughout the year. Consider including a meal at the nearby Willow Tree German Cafe as we did. A stroll through historic Sanford is not to be missed. Hopefully the outdoor Marketplace will be up and running, too.Written October 1, 2019
- My family loves going to the Sanford Zoo. Make sure to go early in the morning if it's summer, it gets hot and humid fast. They have a splash pad, which is great for kids who need to cool off.Written June 8, 2022
- We love to paddle here along part of Florida's absolutely gorgeous, peaceful Lower Wekiva River. We've never made it to where it joins the St. Johns River - but have been satisfied paddling two hours round trip from the starting point. This is considered Florida's 'wild rivers' representing vestiges of primitive America. It's unpolluted water, is free flowing, and supports animals, plants and birds. We've seen lots of memorable things while floating along and you will, too. Unfortunately you have to bring you own canoe or kayak, but the put-in is sandy and easy. We always turn right going downstream because it's so relaxing, but if you choose to turn left and go upstream, you'll just float back to the put-in. Wear a hat, bring water and lunch or a snack. You can bring you car or pick-up right to the put-in, but you have to park it in one of the spots designated that's filled with picnic areas and trees overhead. You can also go hiking opposite the park, which is something we haven't tried yet. The parking fee is less than $5 on the honor system, and there are bathrooms at the entry point.Written April 28, 2019
- We truly enjoyed our airboat ride on Lake Jessup, and I highly recommend going with The Black Hammock! There are so many gators floating all around, and so many different types of birds. Great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!Written August 16, 2020
- The reviews on TA were pretty old, so we weren’t sure what to expect. We became new residents just as the pandemic kicked in, so now I’m disappointed it took so long to come in. Out of town family was a perfect reason. They took some reasonable controls to make everyone safe.
We will be back.
We didn’t have a bad beer out of the 8 or so we tried – may not be your style, but you would have to admit the beer was well crafted. Key Lime Crème Ale? Sweet Potato Ale? Where else you going to get that stuff? Both were standouts. We did a light dinner - part appetizers & part entrees - and were very surprised at how tasty it was. The black and blue burger and artichoke cakes were fantastic, and the little Italian beef was deemed the best bang for your buck.Written November 16, 2020
- Great place to browse! I always enjoy and respect artistic creations! Take your time there is so much to see!Written September 24, 2021
- We really enjoyed the live music and choices of brews. They will let you sample something before you order a glass or flight and they will allow you to take it to-go if you cannot finish it all. The menu also had some yummy-sounding choices although we did not eat there.
Also, in these Covid times, we look for places to be well-ventilated. The Sanford location has high ceilings and you can also sit outside if you want. Service was excellent as well. We would definitely go back to try the food next time.Written August 8, 2021
- Overview: Clean, great service, good location and I find the interior of the restaurant itself to be very appealing.
Had a really nice lunch with my sibling here on the roof top. Dinning area was very nice and offered not only a view but also fresh air and good service. Cost was under fifty dollars for the two of us not including the tip. This also included the cost of the beer he had ordered.
Disclaimer; the following is my personnel option: I will have to admit I am not very fond of the food. For me it fell under I could take it or leave it category. However the atmosphere, service and being able to spend a nice time chatting and catching up with family. Was something that was greatly appreciated by me. If you go do not forget to check out their deli/store located behind the restaurant.Written April 10, 2022
- Many local artist on display. Some works were very crude but something for everyone. Nice way to spend a casual afternoon looking at the artwork.Written April 5, 2019
- The whole Riverwalk has been redone and added to. The paved trail now goes for miles along the lake and is BEAUTIFUL! New benches, 4 seater swings, free parking and flowers, flowers everywhere are there for you to enjoy along the trail. Fort Mellon park is only one of the many parks in Sanford and it is a good one! Picnic tables, BBQ grills, swings and slides of course but it also has several structures for the kids to climb on. In the warmer months, sprinklers bubble up from under ground for cooling fun. And did I mention the view of Lake Monroe is Amazing!Written February 8, 2022
- Found this place by mistake to be honest. Since Black Bear Wilderness Preserve was close, I wanted to hike somewhere new. I Yelped this place and gave it a shot. Boy, I was so proud to hike this amazing place!
I parked across the street at the park and paid $3. I had a picnic in the park before my hike here in the woods. It was such a lovely peaceful hike in the woods. There was a dead end due to water covering the trail at one point. The signs (or lack of signs), made it confusing at times on where to go. I ended up at someone's house twice in the hike by mistake. Besides the poor signage, this place was fantastic.
It appeared I started at a different point in the hike compared to the other Yelp review here. I did not continue all the way down the street. I think that is where this place is with the gator.
Please take a look at my photos to learn about the hike I took that day. It was very nice overall. I would recommend hiking here alone or with friends. Have fun.Written January 28, 2019
- Nice little free museum that gives the history of Sanford. It centers on Henry Sanford who founded the city but also covers the Swedes that immigrated to the area, the orange and celery industries and famous people from the area. It looks like a work in progress as some cases were empty. We spent about an hour and a half here.Written January 1, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Sanford