Public Transportation Systems
- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
6 places sorted by traveler favorites
What travelers are saying
- Great service from airport to downtown. Just over 30 minutes and 20 dollars.
Very easy to use.
A few dodgy characters dealing drugs and quite a few loons on the train. Not harmful but not great.Written January 21, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I loved this trip so much, I couldn't wait for ride back to Denver. Read on for more details but in summary, the comfort and relaxation were unexpectedly profound and the views during the height of the fall color were beyond amazing.
We did a round trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs, CO (about 5-6 hours long).
Unfortunately, Amtrak's site's FAQs don't cover a lot, so here are a few things we learned. We did not opt for a sleeper car because this was just a day trip and paid about 75$ each for the round-trip ticket. When buying tickets online, I recall requesting the upper level but our tickets didn't seem to have any indication of this. We managed to sit upstairs both times but I'm not sure what would happen if the train were full (it was fairly empty on the way there and about halfway full on the way back). We didn't see any bags searched but the company states random searches are possible. There are warnings to wear a mask, etc. for COVID protocol but nothing was strictly enforced.
Bathrooms are shockingly old and neglected but cleaned as much as is possible imo. There were about 14-15 cars total on our journey and the food car is in the middle. There's an adequate selection of things like halfway decent cheeseburgers, yogurt, chips, airplane-size liquor bottles and beer, donut holes and more and prices aren't cheap but not much of a gouge overall.
There is no comparison in overall/legroom with an airplane and many people traveling further were sleeping on two seats. Temperature was cool and some might want to travel with a blanket.
You will travel through over 40 tunnels (one way) through the mountains--one of them is the Moffat tunnel which is 6.2 miles and takes 15 minutes to clear. You will follow the Colorado River for at least half the trip, and that includes hugging ledges of significant height (spectacular views!) and I was surprised that the train probably doesn't exceed 40 mph.
My suggestion is to request the last car because you can stand in the back at the window for a great vantage point when exiting the tunnels and additional 180-degree+ views that are unobstructed.
Be prepared: we were scheduled to arrive back in Denver around 6:30 pm but arrived an hour late because they were taking on another train car. The process of backing into Denver's Union Station to do so was like molasses but the conductors each way were good about keeping us informed of our schedule. The sound system is sketchy, sometimes difficult to hear.
On the way to GS, it was a Saturday and many people were on the Colorado River fishing, in boats, etc. We didn't know it's some kind of tradition to moon the train as it goes by but we lost count of the moons there were that many lol.
This would be a wonderful trip for a family, even those with small children. I noticed a much more isolated section below where some babies and toddlers were free to make as much noise as they want without disturbing the people sleeping on our level.
After taking this train, I would interested in going somewhere else by Amtrak but I would make sure our timetable was flexible just in case of delays.Written October 19, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I google mapped out my options for doing a weekday ski trip from downtown Denver to eldora ski resort. It was a great deal requiring me to purchase a airport regional day pass. In my case I used one of the city buses and the driver made a friendly remark to me when I hopped on with my skis then I caught a long distance bus heading to downtown boulder these buses were better equipped to store my skis in a lower compartment. The final leg I took the nb2 to eldora ski resort I actually caught the 3:00pm return bus not wanting to be stranded if there was no roomWritten February 9, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- When choosing your hotel be sure it’s close to this bus line. FREE. We rode to Union Station, Larimer Square, Civic Center, etc. The bus was clean and did I mention FREE!!Written July 9, 2022
- Fast and inexpensive way to travel from airport to downtown Denver. About 45 minutes to Union Station.Written September 23, 2022
- Very clean, timely transportation to and from Denver airport. Fare is $9 regular fare and $4.50 for seniors. Fare is good for 24 hours anywhere on the system. The light rail from the airport terminates at Union Station which makes it easy to connect with Amtrak, other light rail lines or buses. Their app makes it easy to purchase tickets and hold them until you travel. Just activate before you board. Also, very convenient travel to the airport. Just inside to the right is a location to check baggage and print out boarding passes. So, no hauling luggage all over the airport. We flew into Denver, took the light rail to Union Station and stayed at the Crawford Hotel at Union Station before boarding Amtrak the next day for a sightseeing train trip to Sacramento, CA. We made the return trip the following week. Very convenient.Written May 5, 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Denver
- These are the best places for kid-friendly mass transportation systems in Denver:See more mass transportation systems for kids in Denver on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly mass transportation systems in Denver:See more budget-friendly mass transportation systems in Denver on Tripadvisor