Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Monterey
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- Staff were very helpful getting us our tickets and pointing out highlights, while making us feel very welcome. Throughout our visit we were helped by several staff and they were all delightful.Written January 21, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Did the drive on a beautiful sunny day. Stopped at Pebble Beach for an outdoor lunch. This a wonderful half day stop over on our Pacific Coast Hway drive from San Francisco to San Diego.Written January 8, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Absolutely heavenly.... postcard place on 17 mile drive!
Aquarium was fantastic, excursion to Point Lobo fruitfully resulted in various seal,sea lionWritten December 17, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a multi-use paved trail that passes through Monterey, CA where you can travel a little part or the whole thing. I don't recall how long it is but it goes many miles and has options for everyone. Then reward your calorie burning by having something fun to eat at one of the many places Monterey has to offer.Written December 15, 2022
- Great polace to take kids, lots of unique play places, but a bit of love will go a long way. Fill in the puddles, and pull the weeds.Written November 10, 2022
- This area is like a small version of the wharf in San Francisco. We got to see a couple of sea lions. It's mostly restaurants and touristy shops.Written November 16, 2022
- The first time we came here in August, we walked down the pier and there were sea lions all along the way. In some cases, they were only a few yards away, on the other side of the fence on the rocks. At the end of the pier, we saw hundreds of cormorants. Also, along the pier are some of the Coast Guard vessels. When we came back in Sept, the Coast Guard had an event in the small park near San Carlos Beach and the ships were also open. We went on board and were able to ask questions to the Coast Guard member, which was rather interesting. Note: Also, in Sept, there were a lot fewer sea lions on the pier, as they were all in the bay area, along the walkway to Fisherman's Wharf.Written September 25, 2022
- Lovely shopping district within walking distance of the aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf. Cute shops. Touristy.Written October 2, 2022
- This is a very large area extending down towards Big Sur with great coastal views when you can see lots of wildlife: sea otters, sea lions, whales off in the distance and lots of flowers along trailsWritten June 20, 2022
- Right next to our hotel. Ducked into the free museum. Unguided tour. Beautiful grounds. Not for a whole day. Maybe an hour.Written August 29, 2021
- ... right up the hill from the Navy Lodge I'm staying at here in Monterey. I was here for 10 days back in May I think it was and I would have definitely come here to hike if I would have known about it. Really nice, easy trails to navigate. Is perfect weather today. Tried the short and easy Skyline Trail first which had a few epic views of Monterey and the bay. Then made a big loop with the Iris and Rhus Trails. They were up and down a little - a bit steep(ish) in a couple spots. Then I finished with the Jacks Peaks Trail which Wasn't all that difficult either. I guess I jacked up my knee some more With the almost three and a half miles I did here. It's been hurting a few days but now it really feels on edge. Not a good way to start my upcoming trip to... Oh yea, I was thinking a little about Dan and Mary's son Jack and his wife Alexa today because of the name. I think they're visiting him today or tomorrow. They're good people.Written October 13, 2021
- I go to the area twice a year for golf. Now that Torrey Pines is a complete fiasco it's nice to play in under 6 hours. This time my granddaughter came along so we did the Historic walk through the city and cell phone tour. We also visited the common house and other State staffed historic locations. The representative in The State House was awesome. His historic knowledge is very informative. You will learn a lot speaking with these people. Never miss that walk.Written August 11, 2022
- As a marine biology student at Stanford in the 1950's, I came with classes, to Hopkins Marine Station, and visited what was left of Doc Rickett's legacy on The Row. We all had copies of his seminal work on Pacific Coast marine biology - "Between Pacific Tides" - and we tried to find all the invertebrates that he so carefully described.
Seventy years later, it is nostalgic to find that some small remnants of his work is left (if you would like to read his book, the MBAQ has it in their bookstore), and especially gratifying to introduce a grandchild who wants to be a "biologist" to this fascinating subject.
Most visitors don't know that the "bike path" along Cannery Row is actually the old Southern Pacific railroad right-of-way that served the canneries and the tourists in Carmel, and that Doc Ricketts was killed by a train at the crossing just in front of the current Aquarium.Written July 25, 2022
- A lot of books and other museum items from the days California was establishing its own State constitution. Monterey was the capital of California at one time.Written October 7, 2022
- On Alvarado street
We happened upon this great farmers market. And discovered flowers baked goods vegetables fruit and great stores open for business.
Grab some street food.Written October 27, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Monterey
- The best day trips from Monterey according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Monterey, Carmel and 17-Mile Drive - Full Day Tour from San Francisco
- Monterey Big Sur McWay Falls California Coast One Day From Monterey Carmel
- Day Trip to Monterey and Carmel via California Coast
- Big Sur Monterey California Coast McWay Falls One Day Tour from San Jose
- Carmel Valley Wine Tour's Premium Package
Monterey Attractions Information
|Local Time||Wednesday 8:03 AM|