Top Attractions in Joshua Tree
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travelers are saying
- The Joshua trees were great, with many different shapes, but the highlight were the rock formations. Naturally created, but looked like they were dumped by front loaders. Erratic, eccentric, and amazing! The narrated trails helped with an enhanced educational experience. Didn't realize that the park is at 4 to 5,000 ft elevation, so be sure to dress appropriately. Much colder than expected, at least in the winter.Written February 6, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This visitor centre offers a display of different cactus types, a kinetic model and an interesting guide book.Written February 2, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I would say just go and enjoy it. It's good outdoor time just outside of town with some interesting artwork that makes for both good and silly conversation.Written March 26, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It is very quirky little place surrounded with other art stores. It is fun and definitely worth stopping by.Written May 9, 2022
- A hike to Carey's Castle in Hiking Joshua Tree National Park. This Place is hard time find and we want to keep it that way. Make sure you take plenty of water and food. Make sure you take a map of the area or YOU WILL GET LOST.
My adventure video!
9 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 1400 ft
Hike Time: 7 hours
Trail Condition: No trail at times / Confusing Forks
Hike Type: Out and Back
Animals : Not Recommended
Activities : Hiking
Fee : Free ParkingWritten January 7, 2015
- As you are traveling down Twentynine Palms Highway in Joshua Tree and approach Sunset Road and Hillside Road located on the south side of the road you will find a unique sculpture. It is a giant turtle. “Murtle the Turtle” is the world’s largest replica of a tortoise. This larger that live sculpture is a beautiful recreation of the desert tortoise which one dominated the landscape in this area. During the 1950 – 1960s, Joshua Tree use to hold an annual Turtle Day Parade and Turtle Races to honor this magnificent creature. Over the years, this reptile started to disappear from the surrounding landscape. Eventually it was declared an endanger species, and Joshua Tree gave up their Turtle Day Parade and Races. To honor this tradition and the tortoise, Joshua Tree designed a statue using a concept taken from a 1957 painted plaster turtle parade float. Hence the birth of “Murtle the Turtle.” Over the years, time and weather played havoc with this rendition of the Turtle and it was replaced with the current sculpture. Outstanding sculpture to honor a past tradition and a beautiful creature. Well worth a visit.Written February 27, 2022
- This is a co-op art gallery owned and run by a dozen or so local Joshua Tree artists. It is right on the highway going through Joshua Tree. I found the art to be really interesting and intriquing. Many genres of art are on display; photography, painting and sculpture. During our visit we was a variety of interesting and provocative works on display. Well worth taking the time to visit.Written January 27, 2020
- Located on Pinto Basin Road in Joshua Tree National Park is a pull off the road area where one can be dazzled by beautiful views of the surrounding area. This area is known as the Ocotillo Patch. An informational kiosk provides information on the Ocotillo Fouquieria splendens plant that grows abundantly in the area. This plant is not a cactus, but a bush that can grow up to thirty-five feet tall. To the casual observer this plant is a large pile of dead sticks. This dramatically changes when rain hits the area. Brillant crimson flowers appear on each stem and a plethora of bees abound near each blossom, The branch is covered with thorns that will provide painful inflictions to your skin if you happen to get pricked. Unfortunately, no blossoms, just a lot of dead look sticks on this trip. Still an interest facet of Southern California environmental diversity to observe.Written February 27, 2022
- This was my best attraction at Joshua Tree.
Hiking on the rocks was great.
However, I found that the Banana Cracks Rock is even way better when the sundown comes.
The boulders start with different colors on the rocks,
The best time to see it is sundown. Wow!Written December 6, 2020
- Saddle Rocks reminds me of a saddle on a horse. However there are no horses.
This attraction is for the mountain.
It is attractive!
A must see!
I liked this one.
A must seeWritten December 13, 2020
- After viewing Murtle the Turtle Sculpture venture to the opposite end of the parking lot to examine the “Spirit Climb” statue. From a distance the sculpture looks like a pile of rocks. As you approach it, you will note a figure of a young long haired individual scaling this rock formation. This brown stone sculpture is approximately eight feet in tall and reflects the determination of the climber to reach the top. This sculpture honors the climbing sprit of individual who have made Joshua Tree a mecca for Rock Climbing. Sadly, there is a lack of information available concerning the statue. A remarkable piece of artworkWritten February 27, 2022
- While wandering down the east end of Twentynine Palms Highway in Joshua Tree, California observed a strange sight. Four dinosaurs stand along the road edge. Had to pull over and examine these monsters. Two are carnivores T-Rexs, while the remaining two are mother and a baby golden brontosaurus. These four dinosaurs where part of a collection of five put in place by Desert View Homes (a now defunct real estate business), to attract customers to their manufactured home site. After examining these dinosaurs, concluded that all four of statues are in extremely poor shape and have deteriorated to the point of collapse. The metal is warped and rusted, full of holes, bird dropping cover them and the gaping mouth of one of the T-Rex has become a breeding ground for pigeons. A section of the black iron fence surrounding the Brontosaurus family has fallen by the wayside, and roadside weeds have taken over the area. Momma “Bronto” has a rust hole in her neck giving her a strange look. It looks like she had a tracheotomy. The remains of the fifth dinosaur have disappeared over the years. Different. If you are interested in roadside dinosaurs suggest you visit the Ricardo Breceda Galleta Meadows, in Borrego Springs, California for a peek into a real Jurassic Park with multiple dinosaurs on display.Written February 27, 2022
- This is officially a "picnic area" and is not listed as a hike on the Joshua Tree trail maps but you can hike all around in every direction!
This is a large picnic area with a big parking lot, lots of picnic tables and bathrooms. One particularly humungous gargantuan boulder - Intersection Rock - is at the parking lot entrance. Intersection Rock is a 150-foot tall monzonite monolith that many rock climbers consider the birthplace of climbing in Joshua Tree.
This area is accessible from all areas of Hidden Valley Campground, hence, all areas of Hidden Valley Campground are accessible from the Intersection Rock parking and picnic area.
Tons of picturesque opportunities in every direction,- crevices in gargantuan boulders that you can climb into and take pictures, tons of boulders of all shapes and sizes that kids love to climb and crawl on. You can wander as little or much as you like from here!Written October 30, 2021
- It's definitely little but it's an adorable place to stop and get your Joshua Tree souvenir and/or supplies.Written January 9, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Joshua Tree
- The best day trips from Joshua Tree according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- Joshua Tree National Park Offroad Tour
- Joshua Tree National Park Driving Tour
- Joshua Tree National Park Scenic Tour
- Joshua Tree Hummer Adventure from Palm Desert
- BEST Joshua Tree,Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum Day Tour from LA
Joshua Tree Attractions Information
|Local Time||Tuesday 5:48 PM|