- Traveler favoritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveler rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveler reviews.
27 places sorted by traveler favorites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travelers are saying
- very informative as the owner takes you through the gardens explaining all he has done over his life times workWritten November 3, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Getting up and then back down on a wet day was so hard ... stairs are steep, slippery, non-consistent heights, mostly not flat and there are a lot ... but, it was worth it ...
Two of the four viewing areas were available and the views amazing ...Written January 28, 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We saw this church from the Cruise dock and decided to go for a visit. It is a very long walk and all up hill, but you will be rewarded when you arrive. Built in the Colonial times it not only has a wonderful facade the interior affords a visitor a nice place of refuge. A very peaceful setting. Supposedly built by female prisoners during the era.Written January 1, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Local crafts with some jewelry. Some fruits and vegs but we can not buy them and take on the ship. Not a whole lot to do on this island but we had a nice walk. Overall a good time.Written January 7, 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We went out with Tongan Expeditions for 4 days and had an incredible experience! Our guide, Lome, did a great job! She was friendly, knowledgeable and put our safety and whales well-being first! Each day we had a great swims! We saw whales playing with dolphins, a pregnant female, the end of a heat run and several females and calves! It was breathtaking being in the water so close to such a large wild animal, words can’t describe it! Lome always checked to make sure the whales were interested in swimming with us and knew when it was best to leave them alone. I felt like the whales were respected and not over crowded. Lome should have her own GoPro!!Written October 9, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We went out three times in the DPD boats. Nicely sized boats for 4 - 8 people and more intimate discussions with Alistair and his teams. They have some great stories of Tonga and the whales. They will always go the extra nautical mile for you to gain the greatest views from the boats and in the water. We got the most fabulous photos of whales breaching and also while swimming with them. Unforgettable lifetime experience. We saw hump back, sperm and pilot whales. On a day when the weather was not so good for whale watching we did great reef and cave snorkeling. Also brilliant. If you want to see whales use DPD during August September and October.Written October 17, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- My third time, my husband's second time and my daughter's fourth time with "Whales in the Wild". I think that says it all.
I cannot recommend Phil and his crew highly enough. If you want to have this amazing wildlife experience and encounter, then you need to go with the BEST. And that is why you have to book way in advance to make sure you get your swims with them. I could go on and on, but I have already written reviews from my previous years with them.
So I will keep it simple. Best Company, best Skippers, best Guides, best drops in the water, hence why photographers choose to use them.
Just do it. My only suggestion is to try and do this in September.
Sydney, AustraliaWritten October 6, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We did our Open Water certification here, and it was just an excellent experience! We arrived early in the season so Cameron only had the two of us to take care of. He's the kindest, gentlest, most patient and most professional dive instructor we came across while diving in dozens of locations all over the world by now!
Their dive equipment is first class, as are the dive sites they will bring you too.
We would go diving and take additional courses with Dive Tonga any time!Written February 3, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We found WhaleSwim Adventures online, and weren't sure what we were getting into. We were so happy with our trip and experiences. From meeting us at the airport, to the Tongan Beach Resort, to our whale and dolphin interactions.
Annah was fantastic as our WhaleSwim host. She was knowledgeable, patient, and very experienced. When we didn't follow her suggestions, we were always disappointed. She knows her stuff!
The payment process was a little clunky and made us concerned, but it all worked out well. DO IT, and do it with WhaleSwim Adventures.Written October 7, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I had a great day out with Ben and Pat on Hakau snorkeling tour. They are extremely friendly and helpful. We had extra time so we went to an added place for swimming and snorkeling. Ben's wife made lunch and she is a fantastic chef. The Coral Gardens is a very special place.Written January 10, 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I did 7 water days with Beluga Diving in October and it's hard to articulate just how incredible the experience/company is. I will qualify by saying I am writing solely from the experience I had (others may differ), and I may have gotten very lucky (though speaking with others who have also used this company this does not seem like the most likely case).
The crew is amazing. I really can't say enough about them. We had whale interactions all 7 days! From static mom and calves to heat runs the crew found us a little bit of everything! My boat had 2 different captains and 3 different guides and all of them were extremely kind, professional, and most of all, experienced! I am probably biased but it always seemed like other companies were radio-ing our boat to share whales our crew found. You can't help but feel like you're on the right boat when this happens with as much recurring frequency as it did (more days than not).
I also booked through Nadia Aly (humpbackswims.com) who sorted housing and food for me while I was there. If you book through her and Beluga lunch is provided on the boat and it's amazing! Our lunches were made by Nadia's private chef and let me tell you-rave reviews all around.
Beluga also, in my opinion, has the nicest boats in the area (judging by the boats from other companies that came to share whales). For me, this makes a difference since you're out on the water for 7 hours. Which for me can be a long time when you're on a crappy boat.
I also went in early October which I believe is the best time (Nadia and folks from Beluga concur). During this time there are fewer boats on the water, the seas seem to more calm, and because the calves are more mature they seem to be much more curious, playful and interactive. The moms also seem to be less reluctant to let them check out the humans in the water. October is awesome! If you don't believe just message Nadia or Beluga to confirm.
Full disclosure, I don't know how the pricing compares with other companies but I definitely left feeling like I got way more than my money's worth through Beluga. They are some of the most kind, professional people I've ever met and I can't wait to see them again!
**All photos and interactions were taken under permit.**Written October 20, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Denis is a 25+ year veteran in offering tours and it shows. His professionalism, knowledge and balance at providing a memorable tour made our holiday. The experience is one that will stay with us for a long time. He timed the tour so we were able to visit each location on our own, without being crowded out by other tours, and his son was able to guide us in the water to see some of the most impeccable reef's & caves. Finally he returned us to their own privately leased island for a home cooked lunch, stunning view and the perfect conclusion to the day. Thank you Denis, Donna & Tyler - exceptional!Written April 1, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We scheduled our fourth day of whale swimming with this company. Scheduled pick up was between 8am-9am, however the cruise ship for the other two passengers was apparently late and they arrived at 9:45am.
The boat is larger than the other two companies we went with and the only one that had a bathroom, if that really matters. But it does handle the swells better at speed. They can also get farther out into the ocean where it gets a little rougher (if you're prone to seasickness, please plan ahead!).
We went straight to the place where there was a heat run as notified by previous boats and had a few swims but since the whales were running fast and getting far away, we left them. Fearing that they’d consider that successful enough and take us to a cave to ride out the rest of the day, but they got news of other boats that found a mom and calf so we hung out there for the next hour+.
Our trip ended after about 5 hours, two hours short of the first company we went with. It was a successful day, but still kinda bummed not to optimize the time.
Lunch was fine with a sandwich, a few slices of fruit and a granola bar. Of the three companies we used, this one is second place, based solely on the boat, crew, service. What we saw has nothing to do with the rating as we know they cannot control nature.Written October 3, 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This tour of the island made me want to stay indefinitely. I am a total tomboy and love everything nature, so you can imagine how much I enjoyed this tour. Vava'u is magnificent and driving a buggy around just made it even better. Can't wait to do it again!Written October 12, 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I have been on two tours with Magenta, one in French Polynesia and one in Tonga. In all of my travels, I can honestly say Magenta is one of the best guides I've encountered. I'm a wildlife biologist by trade, so am very particular about guides/operators that focus on the well-being of animals and the environment; Magenta is definitely that kind of guide. As far as the experience goes, it's life changing.
There's something about having an interaction in the water with these lovely beings that resonates through to your soul. On our last day in Tonga, 2019, I had one of the best swims with humpback whales to date. We saw a mum and calf down deep about 300m away. Mum came up slowly, with baby at her side, paused, checked us out and then came in towards us very slowly. She swum along side us for a few breaths, with baby lolling about on top of her, and then she went down for a rest. The lovely thing about the experience is that the mum intentionally came to interact with us, as she could've very easily swum away before we even saw her and at any point thereafter. When a whale looks you in the eye, words cannot express the emotional connection you feel, you must experience it for yourself.Written February 18, 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.