Visitor Centers • Geologic Formations
What travelers are saying
- It's been a number of years since I've been inside the Visitors Center. I usually just hike around but had my niece and nephew with us and they had not been inside. Was great to look through the high power binocular to see the sheep out on the mountain. Couldn't see them with the naked eye. Loved the short movie that was playing. I wanna see it again so I can make note of the gal that was weaving as I forgot as soon as I walked out of the theater. Hahaha! I highly recommend a visit inside if you haven't in awhile like me. A lot to see and learnWritten November 11, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a brilliant glacier to visit, easily accessible from Juneau. There is a large Visitor Centre with a small charge to enter, however, we skipped this in order to spend our time outdoors: 1) walking to view the glacier from all angles, 2) walking to Photo Point, 3) doing the loop walk to Nugget Falls and 4) walking the Steep Creek Trail boardwalk. Sadly, as with many of the glaciers worldwide, Mendenhall Glacier is also receding at an alarming rate. Well worth a visit while it is still so clearly visible. Apparently by 2050, it might no longer be visible from the Visitor Centre!Written November 19, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our visit to Sawyer Glacier was part of our Lindblad/Natl Geographic Cruise. We were able to approach the glacier on zodiac boats and get very close (about 1/4 mile) from the base of the glacier. Saw harbor seals and mountain goats. Vastly impressive sight that takes your breath away.Written August 19, 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Even the twenty somethings were impressed by the experience.... Booked the helicopter ride for the family to Herbert Glacier including a dog sled ride with Alaska Icefield Expeditions. Our group of 5 had 2 nervous flyers but we found the ground team's prep and the pilot's interactions helped to calm nerves. Ride up & back gave perspective to how large the glacier really is. Team provided snow boots which simplified packing... Once on the glacier, we were assigned to sleds and given a 1.5Mile tour of a portion of the field. Our drivers Joey & Josi shared there passion for their dogs and some of the logistical challenges they'll face when competing in the up coming Iditarod race in '24.Written July 15, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Juneau
- These places are best for geologic formations in Juneau:See more geologic formations in Juneau on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking geologic formations in Juneau:See more geologic formations for couples in Juneau on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking geologic formations in Juneau:See more geologic formations for groups in Juneau on Tripadvisor