Top Attractions in Playa Samara
What travelers are saying
- I have used the Samara-Carillo info Center for all six trips I have made to Costa Rica. They are always friendly and always get what you need. I highly recommend using them.Written December 2, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great beach for long walks. High and low tides are very different. There are a few chairs that you can rent, quite reasonable.Written December 1, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We really enjoyed our kayak and snorkel tour! Steven S was a fantastic guide - very knowledgeable and friendly!Written November 25, 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We booked both a nature hike and horseback riding tour through Maria. She was great! She worked with the tour companies to schedule everything, communicated frequently with us via text to coordinate, and payment was easy. The tour companies she booked us with were also excellent and the tours were well run. Definitely save yourself the time and hassle of dealing with multiple vendors and just go through Maria.Written June 30, 2022
- We visited Barrigona beach whilst staying near by, and what a beach it is! Hardly anyone around, beautiful white sand and warm sea water! Breathtaking!Written March 24, 2022
- Our guide was Alex and he was terrific! He led us on a beautiful walk through the Reserve, and pointed out many different plants and trees and told us about their history. The hike up was a bit strenuous, but we got to sit and rest at the top. The view up there was spectacular! We could see Playa Samara and Playa Carrillo. We didn't see many birds or animals during the hike, but as were taking pictures, a male Howler monkey came through the trees about 20 feet from our heads!
As we loaded into our transport to head back to Samara, the skies opened up and it rained quite hard. That is very atypical for dry season, but we did get a bit wet. It was a warm tropical rain, so we didn't mind.Written February 12, 2020
- Rick was prompt, friendly, knowledgeable, patient even with us novice anglers. We launched with first mate, Orlando, and spent a day hunting the elusive yellow tail tuna. We saw deep blue water, scores or spinner dolphins, watched nature’s feeding frenzy, and hauled up about 80 pounds of tuna. It was a great day, the weather was perfect, I accidentally learned some angling and nature facts, and ended up, later that night, with a meal of some of the tuna. Great crew. Great experience. Would fully recommend.Written July 1, 2022
- Every time I come back to visit Playa Samara, I love to visit Koss Art Gallery. I have now collected 4 original paintings that adorn my walls back in Florida. It is located right on the beach with it's very own tropical oasis. A Must Sees!Written May 30, 2022
- Had a great morning. Easy kayak out to the reef where we snorkeled. Saw plenty of fish, an eel and an octopus. Ravi gave us a very good account of the ecology of the area - both the bay and the forest overlooking it.Written January 19, 2020
- A short distance from Samara on the road to Nicoya. We drove twice. Directions we very clear to get here. Soaking an meditation in the beautiful natural pools was most relaxing. On the 2nd visit we got a bit more daring and did some jumping into the larger pools from the rocks and a natural massage sitting under the falls.Written February 7, 2022
- If you are looking for that long walk on a pristine beach, where you may encounter only a few people, this is the place!. At low tide, walk across the small river onto the beach and from there you have a few kilometres of beautiful beach and pounding surf. You are occasionally treated to Macaws or shore birds. Warning: surfing only at this beach, swimming is dangerous due to the rips. The beach is about a 30 minute walk from downtown.Written February 8, 2020
- Unfortunately, there's not much offered in the off season. We stopped by mid September, a couple weeks into the off season and there were only two vendors in the actual Farmers Market so not much to see or buy. There were a few vendors on the street near the market too so there was still some shopping available outside the regular businesses.
There are also the regular businesses that surrounds the market to still visit; Samara Organic Mercado & Cafe, a local spa and beauty salon, massage studio, Fabrique Boutique, tourism office, bike rentals, local artists gallery, Guaitil Ceramics, Falafel Cafe, ice cream shop and more.
Even though there was only two vendors we had a good time exploring the permanent businesses there. We could see the potential during the main tourist season and imagine what it's like from previous reviews. If we ever go back to Samara we'll be sure to stop again.Written October 23, 2016
- I’m so glad I made the decision to spend a week improving my Spanish and taking part in activities at Intercultura Costa Rica! I have been taking Spanish classes since middle school and studied abroad in Spain while in college. Now that I’m a journalist in Texas, I’ve been focusing on working toward proficiency and searching for ways to supplement my online classes with an immersive experience.
From the moment I sent an online inquiry to Intercultura, I knew I was in good hands. I traveled solo and the team’s kindness and responsiveness put me at ease. I stayed in a cute little boutique hotel that was a 5 minute walk from the Samara campus. The school’s staff answered questions about accommodations and helped me arrange my airport travel. I loved my driver! We spoke Spanish the entire time and made a quick stop to buy fruit from a roadside stand.
Through my private and group classes, all the way up to graduation, all of the instructors and staff pushed me and made me feel more comfortable speaking. I felt I was appropriately placed with other students in my level which also allowed me to learn more from others and to engage and contribute in class. The instructors used a variety of exercises including games and writing exercises to challenge us in different ways. They also helped class move along well!
One of the highlights of the week was the day we hosted high school students for a cultural exchange. The students were fun and bright and it felt good to help someone with my language skills and to get more practice having regular conversations with people.
The extra curricular activities were also fun! I took dancing and cooking lessons and went on a gorgeous horseback riding trip, all organized by Intercultura. The activities gave me a chance to expand my vocabulary and immerse myself in the culture.
Overall, I had an unforgettable experience that gave me the confidence to practice with native speakers at my job daily. I hope to return in the future!
Thanks for everything Intercultura!
#interculturacostaricaWritten October 25, 2022
- Hands-down, one of the best massages in my life! She worked very intuitively with my body and it was so healing and relaxing that I booked a second one – this time 90 minutes!Written March 13, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Playa Samara
- The best day trips from Playa Samara according to Tripadvisor travelers are:
- RIO CELESTE RIVER: Tubing+Rainforest+Wildlife+Waterfall+Active Volcano (PRIVATE)
- Birdwatching Tour at Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges Park From Guanacaste
- Palo Verde National Park Day Trip
- Dino Park and Blue River Resort Adventure in Rincon de la Vieja from Samara
- All Day Family Tour: Arenal Excursion with Hot Springs (PRIVATE)
Playa Samara Attractions Information
|Local Time||Tuesday 2:21 AM|